Tire pressure gauge

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I’m looking for a new tire chuck to use on my auto/truck tires. I found this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Infl...dp/B07D3PVBJ4/ref=psdc_15709141_t1_B08517VKGH

I’m wondering if anyone has a Chuck they really like. What I like about the one above is that the chuck gets fastened to the tire stem. I also like that it inflates and deflates while the chuck is on and that it has a digital read out.

My current chuck is more like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/WYNNsky-Bayo...p/B06VSRNTMK/ref=psdc_155346011_t3_B0002SRL20

It works, but it’s not as easy to get the pressure exactly where I want it and doesn’t have the things noted above that I like about the one I’m looking at.

Does anyone have an inflator they really like that I should look at before buying?

I’m looking for a new tire chuck to use on my auto/truck tires. I found this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Infl...dp/B07D3PVBJ4/ref=psdc_15709141_t1_B08517VKGH

I’m wondering if anyone has a Chuck they really like. What I like about the one above is that the chuck gets fastened to the tire stem. I also like that it inflates and deflates while the chuck is on and that it has a digital read out.

https://www.amazon.com/WYNNsky-Bayo...p/B06VSRNTMK/ref=psdc_155346011_t3_B0002SRL20

It works, but it’s not as easy to get the pressure exactly where I want it and doesn’t have the things noted above that I like about the one I’m looking at.

Does anyone have an inflator they really like that I should look at before buying?

I was surprised to learn that my cheap tire pump's gage was actually accurate! While pumping, it over estimates the pressure, but a momentary pause shows the tire pressure - it matches my cheap "gas station style" gauge. What I hate is that so many gauges go to 100 psi and therefore do not show the in-between numbers very accurately - 10 psi increments. I'm holding on to the one I have that goes to 50 psi in increments of 5 psi (and is quite readable.) YMMV

I have the exact one you are looking at and love it. It is very reliable in terms of getting a good seal on the valve stem. I had to fiddle with it a few times in the beginning but once I got the hang of it, it works like a charm! Easy to do a quick release too so you don't let out too much air as you remove it.

I have the exact one you are looking at and love it. It is very reliable in terms of getting a good seal on the valve stem. I had to fiddle with it a few times in the beginning but once I got the hang of it, it works like a charm! Easy to do a quick release too so you don't let out too much air as you remove it.

Don't you hate it when you let out 5 psi trying to get a reading with the cheap ones?

I lost so much air in my tires from those old pen-style versions that pushed a plastic gauge out the back. Those never worked for me.

I like the idea of the one you posted, but I have had this one for years now and is accurate as of yesterday...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221104-080453.jpg
    Screenshot_20221104-080453.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 30
DS has one like the Amazon one the OP liked. I liked using it, a lot. I have had 2 or 3 digital tire pressure gauges which gave me 2 different reading. Both died and I now have gone old school with the age-old, manual tire pressure "sticks". They work just fine and I never get caught with dead batteries either.

I would never buy anything but a mechanical gauge. An electronic gauge that is seldom used has a high potential of being simply a container for dead batteries.

Edit: If you Google "car racing tire pressure gauge" you will see examples of my favorite type: mechanical dial gauge attached to a short hose that connects to the tire valve.

Last edited:
I put new tires on the car and drove from Florida to Chicago. Half way there the tire pressure light went on, and I discovered the gauge I always keep was in DW’s car. I pulled off and bought one at Walmart, and it showed much different readings for all 4 tires.

Over the next day and half I stopped checked and added or released air 5 times, but was not able to urn the light off. When we arrived at Chicago I used a Steelman I had and it showed 20 lbs difference to the other gauge! I couldn’t tell which was right so I bought an Accu-Guage. It matched the Steelman so I went with those readings.

When the tire pressure light remained on I checked an auto forum and learned that after installing new tires the TPS had to be recalibrated. I did that and have not had an issue since.

A low quality gauge is worse than no guage at all.

I had a tire change over yesterday & the tire tech used a gauge that he pressed against the tire sidewall to get a reading. He had a bit of trouble getting a reading on one tire as he had to try it in several laces on the tire. And I'm not sure how accurate it was as my TPMS went off on the drive home. I had to return & have him put in a couple more psi to make the TPMS happy. He had it at 36 psi & I think that is the trigger point for the TPMS.

Just though it was interesting

I havw two, one just a mechanical, with the indicator popping out of the tube. The other is a round mechanical dial presure gage. Like 'em both. No batteries needed.

I've never heard of measuring tire pressure by pressing on the sidewall. I'll have to check that out.

36psi? Was that a mistype of 26psi?

I've never heard of measuring tire pressure by pressing on the sidewall. I'll have to check that out.
Same here. How could that provide an accurate pressure reading?

26psi is low for most passenger car tires. Our two vehicles specify 36psi or 38psi.

Pretty sure those sidewall readers actually read the internal TPMS.

I am intrigued at the topic and all the views. I just use a pen type of which I have a few and they seem to work.

Also one with higher pressure that I use for my bikes.

I will say those TPMS sensors are a nuisance. I guess they allow car manufacturers to get signoff with regulators on higher MPG's.

When the tire pressure light remained on I checked an auto forum and learned that after installing new tires the TPS had to be recalibrated. I did that and have not had an issue since.

Am I missing something? I swap between winter and summer tires twice a year and the TPS system works fine, and also does for everyone I know. Both sets of tires have their own sensors.

The recommended pressure on the Volvo XC60 is 35 psi

I have the same one. Works very well.
Yes. Moroso is a good brand, though a tad pricey. But that's the type of gauge I like; mechanical with a pigtail.

... 26psi is low for most passenger car tires. Our two vehicles specify 36psi or 38psi.
If you're shopping by searching racing gauges be sure to check the pressure range before buying. When I was running formula cars my gauge went to 30psi -- too low for street cars and far too low for pickup trucks.

I am intrigued at the topic and all the views. I just use a pen type of which I have a few and they seem to work.

Also one with higher pressure that I use for my bikes.

I will say those TPMS sensors are a nuisance. I guess they allow car manufacturers to get signoff with regulators on higher MPG's.

Why are they a nuisance? I love the fact that I can check the tire pressure from inside my car. Because it's so easy I quickly check it almost every time I use my car.

I have that same one (different kit), and I like it. Really nice to be able to inflate, read, inflate, and even bleed off if needed, w/o having to take the gauge off/on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07528LFCT

I would never buy anything but a mechanical gauge. An electronic gauge that is seldom used has a high potential of being simply a container for dead batteries.

Edit: If you Google "car racing tire pressure gauge" you will see examples of my favorite type: mechanical dial gauge attached to a short hose that connects to the tire valve.

Link to a specific one, lots come up, which one?

Kind of agree on the battery issue. I plan to make a list of all the seldom used stuff with batteries, and check it every 6 months.

-ERD50

Why are they a nuisance? I love the fact that I can check the tire pressure from inside my car. Because it's so easy I quickly check it almost every time I use my car.

It depends on how long you own the vehicle. As the battery slowly dies, you will get varying readings abd alarms. You cant shut them off on some models and it's another bright light on the dash that I don't like. I shift between winter and all season tires/wheels on my MB GL450, the car doesn't like the sensors on the winter tires and I'm not paying $335 to have them check it out again, because it didn't work the first time.

OP, I have the analog version of your first choice, it works on my 22 Tacoma and 07 Trailblazer, but does not work on my 14 Benz.

I have an old style mechanical one with the square white plastic thing that gets pushed out. It's in my glove box but I have never used it.

Instead, I stop by the Discount Tire store that is near my house a couple times a year. I pull up in front, they ask me what pressure I want, set the pressure on their computerized air inflator thing, and do all four tires for me while I relax in the driver's seat. 100% free, never takes more than three minutes, and they'll do it for you for free even if you didn't buy your tires there.

No TPMS on my 1993 sedan.

Back
Top Bottom