insurance policies with trust

GoodWishes

Recycles dryer sheets
My friend recently told me that our umbrella insurance policy should be in our trust. I did some research and find this Washington Post article

When an insurance policy should name you and your trust

We have a revocable trust. All assets are in our trust except for our cash flow checking accounts and cars.

We have cars, houses and umbrella policies with State Farm. We will contact our agent.

This group is very knowledgeable so I thought I check here as well. Thanks.

The homeowners policy insured the home including liability against you as an individual. The umbrella policy adds on to that liability coverage. If you had $500,000 liability under homeowners, or auto insurance, with a $1,000,000 umbrella policy you’re covered up to $1,500,000 for liability. The article was wrong in their numbers.
However, regarding whether to add the trust as an additional insured on your policies, I would ask the attorney that wrote the trust. I can’t see why it is necessary, but I’m not an attorney.

Thanks. I just emailed our insurance broker to ask the question.

Homeowners, Personal Auto and Umbrella Policies must be written in the names of individuals. It is very routine to add a trust as an additional insured. When we had our trusts written up our attorney gave us a boilerplate letter to give to our insurance company. They handled it, our trusts are named as additional insureds.

At least in California the general advice is you should definitely add your trust, and any trust you are trustee of, as an additional named insured on your insurance policy. There should be no cost for this. I can't speak for other states.

At least in California the general advice is you should definitely add your trust, and any trust you are trustee of, as an additional named insured on your insurance policy. There should be no cost for this. I can't speak for other states.

Never crossed my mind. I'm a co-trustee of my Mom's trust and my Dad's trust (we don't have trusts). I should add my Mom's and Dad's trusts as additional insureds to my umbrella policy?

Seems strange... I don't have any interest in the assets other than when Mom passes I am one of 5 beneficiaries of the trust.

We live in CA also. Does this mean all our policies (cars, houses, umbrella) should add our trust as additional named insured?

Back
Top Bottom