Intermittent Generator Light

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In my sister's RV (see this thread), powered by a 1995 Dodge RAM 3500, the generator light comes on intermittently. It happens while driving (that is, not just when idling).

I know what it means if one of these comes on and stays on, but haven't found anything for an intermittent display. Any ideas? Slipping belt?

Thanks,

Yes, sounds like a slipping belt. Should be relatively easy to verify. Open the hood, hook up a voltmeter at the battery terminals. Make sure transmission's park, and parking brake on.

Rev the engine and listen for belt slippage while watching the voltage. The voltage would drop to around 12.5-13V when slippage occurs.

If slippage does not occur but the voltage drops, then the alternator is about to go bad. Good luck.

Last edited:
Slippy belt. Bad regulator. Loose wire. Wire missing some insulation thats intermittently becoming grounded. Bad battery.

Thanks guys. I did the test, and the voltage was solid at 14 V with engine running, but I heard some slipping belt noises. Sister will buy and apply some belt dressing on the way home, and have the belt tightened or replaced ASAP.

Good. Did you rev the engine to different speeds while monitoring the voltages?

Yes, sister revved engine while I watched the voltmeter. As they were leaving, there were some times when the belt slippage noise was quite obvious.

DW said she was very glad when the camper successfully drove away. She pictured it breaking down, with the family (six total) staying in our house for weeks while waiting for parts. I didn't think of that, so I was spared that vision.

Back
Top Bottom