International Travel

Covid is far from over. The international travel situation will remain fluid.

Just look at how it has changed in some parts of North America over the past few weeks. Same in other countries.

Agree. It is not over. It will be with us for many, many years. It neesd to be managed as an ongoing health issue. As long as we treat it as an ongoing emergency then we are making a sub-optimal choice on many levels. My 2¢. Take what you wish and leave the rest.

Our Spring, 2020 trip flights were cancelled to Berlin. I booked new flights for the end of September, 2021 as we've been seeing low airfares begin to double--back to normal levels. Ended up paying $620 round trip out of Memphis.

we're leaving the 10 year old granddaughter behind this trip so we scaled our itinerary back a little leaving off Budapest. Things are beginning to open up even if we'll have to take 2 Covid tests going and coming back.

Good thing you left out Budapest. Currently Hungary has it's borders closed to all tourists, as of last September 1.

https://hu.usembassy.gov/information-on-entering-hungary-and-the-u-s/

The population of Hungary is not that much, and the country cannot afford to take on many newcomers. They rushed the onslaught of Syrians on to Germany not letting them stop there. So it's a pretty conservative country.

But the food's great and the price of everything is reasonable. And the young people are sharp and very hip. We're looking there for our 3rd visit--sometime in the future.

We will be visiting the incredibly beautiful Dresden and may take in Auschwitz.

We are going to bail on a family wedding in favour of an Oct trip to Greece/Cyprus.

Nothing etched in stone. This covid business is too fluid. If we go, we will not book air until a week or so prior. Willing to pay more if necessary in order to get a good handle on the current situation as close to our departure as possible.

The reality is that Greece has areas that are better protected than where we live-in terms of both percentage of people vaccinated or covid precautions.

IF you are planning on a Europe trip I would suggest you to not rely soley on the NA news networks for information. There are far better sources that are more accurate, timely, and comprehensive.

There are a number of places in Europe that we would feel much more comfortable visiting than we would some places in North America.

Last edited:
The state department has a lot of resources on this, country by country, as well as the things others have noted above.

I'm personally not going to consider international travel this year, not because of testing and quarantine issues so much, but just ... I don't want to go somewhere that might still have restrictions. I don't want to be welcomed as a tourist in a place where the locals are still cautious and think my being there is a bad idea. I don't want to book a trip overseas and show up a month later in the middle of the newest variant hotspot.

I'd rather go when I can go properly and where things are fully open and enjoyable. Plenty of places to travel domestically for 2021.

all of the above ++

Back
Top Bottom