Internet Fast

Not sure if that famous "contest" episode in Seinfeld is going to be remade with internet fast as topic instead, how would everyone play out in the end.

Not sure if that famous "contest" episode in Seinfeld is going to be remade with internet fast as topic instead, how would everyone play out in the end.
"I'm out!"

My daughter and I took a trip to Hawaii last week. While there, we attended a luau where a lady was holding her Ipad up in the air in front of her so she could take a videorecording of the luau dancers on stage. She was effectively watching a full-screen YouTube video of a luau on her Ipad while (instead of) being at a Hawaiian luau. :facepalm:

2Cor521
For the few years that I was avidly pursuing photography as a hobby, I often felt the same way; that when I was photographing an event, I was also denying myself the opportunity to experience it fully. This is one aspect of photography that I don't miss.

Like others have said, pulling the cord completely is impractical, as nearly all of us rely on the internet for banking, investing, and other essential services.

I have considered cutting down on or eliminating Facebook though.There is an outer circle of acquaintances from past jobs who I would lose touch with. It's vaguely interesting to know what they're up to, but I could live without that knowledge. The difficulty lies with the friends and family who now use Facebook as their main way to keep in touch (other than direct contact, of course.) I'm not bothered about losing contact with the people I don't care about that much, but it would be a shame to be getting less information from the people I do care about.

For me, I think the answer is to switch the computer off more often and get out of the house :LOL:

I don't have that many good years left so why give up something I enjoy. If I had to give up one of the things I really love then internet would be last. Well, I think anyway:dance:

My daughter and I took a trip to Hawaii last week. While there, we attended a luau where a lady was holding her Ipad up in the air in front of her so she could take a videorecording of the luau dancers on stage. She was effectively watching a full-screen YouTube video of a luau on her Ipad while (instead of) being at a Hawaiian luau. :facepalm:

2Cor521
Well, that kind of happens anytime you want to photograph or record something - you end up experiencing it through your camera. Although at least with my videocamera I could decide which eye to watch out of - the one looking through the camera or the one seeing the scene directly.

I've found that an Internet fast usually leads me to spend more time on the Internet. This can lead to dangerous yo-yo Interneting.

I would say I would be in the top 5% of spending time on the internet without accomplishing anything. If internet went away it wouldnt destroy my life, but the elimination of the morning newspaper and stamps would cause severe harm. The invention of the IPad has really escalated my time online. I love watching sports, but the Ipad has turned my tv into a radio. When it was just the laptap, I didnt use it as much as it was heavier and generated too much heat on me. This IPad thing seems attached to my body everytime I get on the couch.

For the few years that I was avidly pursuing photography as a hobby, I often felt the same way; that when I was photographing an event, I was also denying myself the opportunity to experience it fully. This is one aspect of photography that I don't miss.
That is why we have few vacation pictures. I just pick 10 minutes a day to take pictures then put the camera away. much more fun.

I'm back. A traumatic event happened with one of my kids that required me to research some legal topics online. I then proceeded to start using the internet with some restrictions and now I am fully online again. It was a good experience though just to give it a try. Wonder if internet addiction will make the new DSM manual.

Mickj, hopefully your family is fine. Good to have you back. When your personal situation allows perhaps you can share with us what you learned from the fast.

interwebzfail_small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom