investment income calculator tool?

hesperus

Full time employment: Posting here.
Does anyone know of a (preferably) free portfolio tracker that shows estimated income month by month for a portfolio of holdings you enter? Specifically, I'm looking to enter tickers and respective quantities into the tool, and it will automatically download latest data and calculate the annual and monthly/quarterly dividend payout for those holdings. I've tried wikiinvest, sigfig, marketwatch, etc, but they do not offer the ability to break down dividend payouts in this way. I see that dividend ladder offers this, but it's 30 bucks a month. FYI I have my accts in fido, but they are less than a few months in, and they only show past dividend payouts, not estimated future payouts. My previous Wells Fargo brokerage had this ability, and it helps quite a bit to get a handle on expected income month by month, and for each security. Fido has an incredible dashboard, but I'm surprised that they don't offer this function.

Last edited:
I generally use M*. If you're looking to get a dollar amount of dividneds and CGs, I'd suggest building your own with GoogleFinance.

It's pretty easy. Figures your dividends, CGs based against your holdings etc.

I find it not exact to the dollar (maybe some expense taking going on?) but close enough to give you a good handle. Usually updates within a few days after dividends are paid.

Just enter the ticker and shares and it will then figure out price, divs/CGs and anything else you need.

Go to googlefinance help here: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en for the function list.

Does anyone know of a (preferably) free portfolio tracker that shows estimated income month by month for a portfolio of holdings you enter? Specifically, I'm looking to enter tickers and respective quantities into the tool, and it will automatically download latest data and calculate the annual and monthly/quarterly dividend payout for those holdings. I've tried wikiinvest, sigfig, marketwatch, etc, but they do not offer the ability to break down dividend payouts in this way. I see that dividend ladder offers this, but it's 30 bucks a month. FYI I have my accts in fido, but they are less than a few months in, and they only show past dividend payouts, not estimated future payouts. My previous Wells Fargo brokerage had this ability, and it helps quite a bit to get a handle on expected income month by month, and for each security. Fido has an incredible dashboard, but I'm surprised that they don't offer this function.

E*Trade

I'm surprised that Fido doesn't have an estimate. We are getting monthly statements from National Financial, and they have the estimates.

Try this Bulk Dividend Downloader Excel workbook. I had to spend some time getting used to it, but it gets you most of what you want.

The monthly statements for my non-retirement Fidelity account include a section called "Estimated Cash Flow" with rows for each of the next 12 months and columns for Bond & CD Income, Stock Income, Mutual Fund Income, and Total Estimated Income.

It has the following disclaimer:
The table does not include preferred stocks, international stocks, exchange trade products (ETF's & ETN's), UITs, variable rate bonds, and international bonds, but may be included in future enhancements.

The table below presents the estimated monthly interest and dividend income and return of principal that your current holdings may generate over the next rolling 12 months. The cash flows displayed are estimates provided for informational purposes only and there is no guarantee that you will actually receive any of the amounts displayed. These estimates should not be relied upon for making investment, trading or tax decisions. The estimates for fixed rate domestic bond and CD income are calculated using the security's coupon rate. The estimates for domestic common stock and mutual fund income are calculated using an indicated annual dividend (IAD). The IAD is an estimate of a security's dividend payments for the next 12 months calculated based on prior and/or declared dividends for that security. IADs are sourced from third party vendors believed to be reliable, but no assurance can be made as to accuracy.

The monthly statements for my non-retirement Fidelity account include a section called "Estimated Cash Flow"...

Yes, but as I mentioned it is incomplete on my statements since I have less than a year (about 3-4 months) of reported dividends in my accounts, and I have made a significant transfer of securities (from wells fargo) over this time. Once I have a year behind me, without significant changes, then I can get an accurate estimate. But I'm trying to get this data before that time to establish my reinvestment strategy.

With Fido, there's no doubt that their website has an amazing number of tools to break down your portfolio, but this is one small (yet significant) omission that would help make these decisions. Granted, I can wait until a year passes, but then if you make other changes in your portfolio, there's a lag until the reported dividends/interest catches up to their statements.

Last edited:
Try this Bulk Dividend Downloader Excel workbook. I had to spend some time getting used to it, but it gets you most of what you want.

This one looks like it has some potential for what I need - the built in excel macros auto download up to date data on the securities. I may need to play around and set it up such that I can enter my number of shares, and then cross reference all this on a month to month basis.

This one looks like it has some potential for what I need - the built in excel macros auto download up to date data on the securities. I may need to play around and set it up such that I can enter my number of shares, and then cross reference all this on a month to month basis.

Another method is to use Google Sheets. You may find that simpler, and it updates all automatically
I'll post a sample later.

Another method is to use Google Sheets. You may find that simpler, and it updates all automatically
I'll post a sample later.

I use Google Sheets but can't seem to get it to do more than update security prices. How do you get it to automatically estimate dividend streams? :confused:

The problem with many of these is that they simply take the most recent dividend and multiply it out, or take a running trailing twelve months. I have a lot of BDCs and ETFs and other holdings that vary their dividends, so you can't simply take the most recent, or even trailing 12, since it can include special/one-time dividends, or they might pay once/twice a year, and include capital gains, etc. Also, even within Yahoo, I've noticed in the past where if you look at the listed dividend in your portfolio view, it's one number....but if you enter the symbol and get a detailed quote by itself (not part of your prebuilt portfolio list of securities), it actually sometimes gives you a different dividend rate.

So, I have to rely on my own Excel spreadsheet, and painstakingly go through Yahoo a few times a year to update it. Typically with many blue chips, you can take the most recent quarterly dividend and simply multiply it by 4, since companies like Pepsi or a bank won't usually have a special one-time dividend.

The problem with many of these is that they simply take the most recent dividend and multiply it out, or take a running trailing twelve months.

You are absolutely correct.

I prefer to setup brokerage account to make monthly transfers to checking account of X dollars.

Once a year I check amount of cash in brokerage a raise monthly distributions by sustainable amount..... Sustainable I call something that allows brokerage account to always maintain 3-4 months of cash.

This is kinda like giving myself dividend yield boost out of entire portfolio. My portfolio is 100% equities and my portfolio yield comes from dividends only. (not selling equities)

I no longer increase this portfolio. It is now paying to me and it pays 12 * monthly transfer in sustainable way where payments can be almost certainly maintained whether market goes down or not.

Last edited:
I use Google Sheets but can't seem to get it to do more than update security prices. How do you get it to automatically estimate dividend streams? :confused:
Here is an example of functions I use. Just ask, and I'll try to answer.

Look down at the formula filled in throughout the dividend column. Some come from Google, some from Yahoo, some filled in (where I got frustrated with the live updating not performing well.

It is not pure, or scientific. But it is what I use! Always looking for helpful corrections and new knowledge.

After you open, just copy to your drive and you can edit.

Here is an example of functions I use. Just ask, and I'll try to answer.

Look down at the formula filled in throughout the dividend column. Some come from Google, some from Yahoo, some filled in (where I got frustrated with the live updating not performing well.

It is not pure, or scientific. But it is what I use! Always looking for helpful corrections and new knowledge.

After you open, just copy to your drive and you can edit.

Thanks! I'll play around with it this weekend. ;)

Back
Top Bottom