Is the grass greener elsewhere?

Didn't someone once say "you can't take a vacation from yourself"?

“You can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another.”

Ernest Hemingway

“You can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another.”

Ernest Hemingway

Fozzie Bear: "If I'm not funny, I won't be able to live with myself."
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew: "Well, then you'll have to get another apartment, won't you?"

The Muppet Movie (1979)

I've lived in 30 different homes (including two lighthouses) located in 10 different states. That's from birth to date. Can't say which place I liked best because I was at a different stage of life in each case. Besides, I'm not done yet. I love residing on Lake Shore Drive in the city of Chicago, and no, I don't think being 30 to 60 miles away is very similar, but I am alarmed by the dysfunction in our state fiscal affairs and that might well cause me to move to another state after I retire. If I go somewhere else, I'll probably try some place new (my 11th state), like TN or (the libertarian favorite) NH. But maybe I'll return to NC, where I'm still a member of the bar.

We moved to Denver. I don't know if the grass is greener here, but it is definitely legal. :dance:

We loved our neighborhood in NJ, but for various reasons (cost being one) we wanted to move. After checking out a number of places, we chose Denver. We couldn't be happier.

Someone mentioned that it depends on your social network and I can't agree more. I also think it depends on your own personality and outlook, but then I guess that determines your social network.

We were much happier after moving to California - milder climate, prettier scenery and just a lot more to do on weekends (now every day since we're retired) than where we used to live.

This is one of my major concerns. Moving to a new place without knowing anybody there is really tough. It will take many years to get to know people well, which is more difficult when you are retired and have no potential friends at work places, even more difficult if you travel a lot.
1. We have never had good friends from work, but I know many do.
2. If you move to an area of high turnover, there are many people in the same boat, and we found it easier to meet people who weren't "natives".
3. Churches, social clubs, volunteering and neighborhood associations always seem to be good bets for meeting others when relocating.

While I appreciate a good view, my extensive social network is far more important than looking at a body of water or a mountain. I've said it before on this site...I can take a trip any time I want, but friendships of 30 - 40 years can't be replaced.

+1 We are lucky to have the best of both worlds.... a 400 acre lake surrounded by mountains 25 feet from the front door and a great sense of community and nearby friends and family.

Plus, now that we snowbird to Florida we get a change of pace from our relatively sleepy rural area to a more urban area that is busier and morings to do nearby. Our condo association also has a great sense of community.... that is part of why we bought there.

We are indeed fortunate.

Back
Top Bottom