Jeremy Siegel accuses the Fed of making another big mistake

Private equity firms buying residential home has to account for at least some of the huge increases in rent. I am not sure what higher interest rates or the likely recession will do to their business models, but I guess we are going to find out.

Here is a great article that shows the crazy rise in home prices. Just nuts !!!

https://wolfstreet.com/2022/09/27/t...-san-francisco-3-5-seattle-3-1-san-diego-2-5/

Some comments were made about the private equity firms buying up residential property and here is what the author said:

"BlackRock is a fund manager. It bought some existing rental properties with tenants in them from other institutional landlords and grouped them into funds that investors can buy shares in, similar to apartment properties (high-rises, etc.). It’s NOT buying any homes on the for-sale market. Never has. If it sells its properties, it would be to another big landlord. Most of the houses are purpose-built for rentals, and they’re usually in subdivisions of nothing but rentals, with its own leasing office. These are just income-producing assets (hopefully) that are getting shuffled around between big companies. They were never designed to be sold to individuals, and will likely never be sold to individuals."

But to your point that doesn't mean they're not going to raise rents.

Last edited:
I have tried several times to get that point across here. The reported annual inflation rate shows what has happened, not what is happening. If the CPI were to remain unchanged at 296.171 through December of this year, the annual inflation rate reported in early January 2023 would be 6.2% (Dec 22/Dec 21 = 296.171/278.802 = 1.062). But prices would have been essentially unchanged (actually slightly down) for 6 months, since June 2022.
That's why looking at month over month inflation numbers are also important. I like to look at MoM and extrapolate to 12 months to get a better near term pulse.

Disclosure: I don't know the background of Mr Powell nor do I know who or where he gets his advice or information from.

However, I have seen that many times - at the corporate level and governmental level - folks who know tons of theory, who love their symposiums and study groups and studies - might at times ignore, or not be aware of, or want to be aware of events on the ground. And yes - 20/20 hindsight from me, a yum-yum on the internet is easy - after all I was not in the decision maker's chair.

But it does seem that while people on the street knew otherwise - Team Powell held on to "transitory" inflation theory too long. Others said inflation is a "high class problem". Fast forward to now - even though it hurts - for me and most anyone with any skin in the game - I'm glad they are fighting inflation though now, I agree with Siegel - they might be going too far, too fast the other way.

Furthrmore - I'm not sure how "2%" inflation is a realistic goal. When I look at major parts of CPI:

WAGES
Anyone running a business. Anyone sitting in a restaurant waiting for their entree - - will tell you we are short on labor. The last year saw the lower-rung of the ladder getting raises - raises that are not even in parity with inflation. I don't see how a restaurant, a landscaping company, whatever calls everyone in and says "we're taking your raises away" and expect to keep a workforce.

Furthermore, there's many in America who spent years proclaiming "fairness" "15 an hour" - all the while enjoying investment returns on a tax deferred basis, and many times -earnings created via cheap money, and cheaper labor. Well, now - - anyone from Starbucks to Amazon to Home Depot sees workers in the infancy of organizing and demanding more wages and benefits. In other words - bumper sticker slogans that made some feel good - -- are now getting real. The shareholder - will be sharing.

Housing
I've missed where there was a national dialogue or effort to increase housing supply. Certainly we allowed demand to increase. Sure , rates ARE pushing prices down - -- but rates are higher so all that means is a young buyer will pay MORE in payment - only less towards principle and more to Big Banks.

Rents certainly can soften if there's mass unemployment. This remains to be seen (yes, part of making big decisions is knowing what you don't know - not proclaiming bumper sticker targets and slogans)

Autos
Some buyer pushback? Yeah, we're seeing a bit in used cars. A bit.

But even if rates go UP another point or two: There's enough pent up demand. A mentor of mine who owns 7 dealerships - this morning showed me - - -6 months of pre-sold orders and that's just plain the norm right now. Production isn't increasing enough to affect this yet - - my point is that car prices won't go down in a consequential way.

Energy

Some countries across the pond are leading the way and enjoying life without dirty energy. I wish them well. And while things can soften - there's still billions of people in the world who haven't had a car yet. Or central heating. There will be demand for energy so while it will get cheaper - I don't feel it will be cheap.

So when I look at some key components: Labor, Housing, Autos, Energy.......I foresee a softening, but seriously doubt it tanks enough to hit 2% inflation rates that stick.

And all this assumes that not *one* geopolitical situation goes wrong - which really ties the Fed's hands because that would mean raising rates while economic calamity happens.

So between what I see as mis-steps by Fed and in public policy - and then - across the pond UK adding STIMULATIVE measures while inflation rages -- I'm starting to not take for granted that the 'smart people' and 'grown ups' are in the non political positions that maneuver the economic levers that matter.

If it were unto me- -- there would be a pause in hiking now, to see how it all digests. If it were up to me - I'd look for a few grown-ups from varying political spheres , put them in a room and swear them to refrain from anything stimulative, and to take such *off* the table politically. Pretend we're a 1st world nation and govern accordingly from time to time.

I tend to be too pessimistic for my own good but there's also a fine line between being pessimistic, and cautious. I'm starting to believe that the new American Dream is NOT a picket fence, a home, and state college for junior...but the new American Dream might turn out to be: "I can pay my bills this month".

Yeah, I'm so glad I have young kids now. Geez I'm overweight and ugly, I just can't imagine what the Wifey was even thinking on both of those nights.

Heh, heh, I'm handing you my "resident pessimist" crown.

What's weird to me is that the folks in "control" are all old enough (well, almost all) to remember the late 70s/80s. Did they learn nothing. Did they think "hope" was a strategy? Yeah, I don't see this ending very well but I'm not looking to take back my crown.:facepalm::LOL:

These rate increases are still too low. I remember the 80's, very high interest rates to kill inflation.

I think the Fed needs to keep increasing by .75% (I was hoping for 1% last time). I want inflation killed quick, as I fear inflation like Venezuela, this year only 500% just imagine how a few years of that would destroy everyone's savings. Your life savings buys a loaf of bread in a few years. :eek:

These rate increases are still too low. I remember the 80's, very high interest rates to kill inflation.

I think the Fed needs to keep increasing by .75% (I was hoping for 1% last time). I want inflation killed quick, as I fear inflation like Venezuela, this year only 500% just imagine how a few years of that would destroy everyone's savings. Your life savings buys a loaf of bread in a few years. :eek:

Friend from Zimbabwe showed us a bill for multi trillions of Zim Dollars. I think they have killed that series and started another but I'm not certain, so YMMV.

Friend from Zimbabwe showed us a bill for multi trillions of Zim Dollars. I think they have killed that series and started another but I'm not certain, so YMMV.

Our church goes on mission there, or at least used to, and they would bring these back as souvenirs. The last series were terribly printed. Everyone was giving up, even the currency printers.

The government keeps trying to bring back a local currency but keep failing. The USD is what everyone wants, and is temporarily legal again. Rands also work, but the dollar is king. Our missionary visitors literally bring bags of it.

Here is a great article that shows the crazy rise in home prices. Just nuts !!!

https://wolfstreet.com/2022/09/27/t...-san-francisco-3-5-seattle-3-1-san-diego-2-5/

Some comments were made about the private equity firms buying up residential property and here is what the author said:

"BlackRock is a fund manager. It bought some existing rental properties with tenants in them from other institutional landlords and grouped them into funds that investors can buy shares in, similar to apartment properties (high-rises, etc.). It’s NOT buying any homes on the for-sale market. Never has. If it sells its properties, it would be to another big landlord. Most of the houses are purpose-built for rentals, and they’re usually in subdivisions of nothing but rentals, with its own leasing office. These are just income-producing assets (hopefully) that are getting shuffled around between big companies. They were never designed to be sold to individuals, and will likely never be sold to individuals."

But to your point that doesn't mean they're not going to raise rents.

Just because one firm does not buy in the for sale market does not mean all firms do not buy... I have read many articles that say they are...

Now, I could be WAY off but I was watching 'Who is talking to Chris' last night and one was A-Rod.... he said he had a huge number of apartments owned and 22,000 homes...

Our church goes on mission there, or at least used to, and they would bring these back as souvenirs. The last series were terribly printed. Everyone was giving up, even the currency printers.

The government keeps trying to bring back a local currency but keep failing. The USD is what everyone wants, and is temporarily legal again. Rands also work, but the dollar is king. Our missionary visitors literally bring bags of it.

Back in the day, USD had to be converted to Zim at the gummint dictated rate (which was utterly ridiculous) so there was a thriving black market in hard-currency conversion. Inflation is sometimes more disastrous to a country than even war. What pain we pay now is probably worth it to avoid inflation destroying our fiat currency. Ideally, we'd have a backed currency, but that ship has sailed. No gummint will now give up the gummint piggy bank once they've seen how useful it is. YMMV.

Right. This is a measure of rents of asking prices of new leases and doesn’t look at the existing base of leases. The BLS CPI calculation is for all rents, so there will be a difference. The new leases data will tell us when there is a change in inflection, which is happening now, but it will take a year before this is fully reflected in the CPI data. In the meantime, we can expect the rent portion of CPI to remain high.

Here’s a recent paper published by economists at the BLS and Cleveland Fed which looks at this https://www.bls.gov/osmr/research-papers/2022/pdf/ec220100.pdf
Prominent rent growth indices often give strikingly different measurements of rent inflation. We create new indices from Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) rent microdata using a repeat rent index methodology and show that this discrepancy is almost entirely explained by differences in rent growth for new tenants relative to the average rent growth for all tenants. Rent inflation for new tenants leads the official BLS rent inflation by 4 quarters. As rent is the largest component of the consumer price index, this has implications for our understanding of aggregate inflation dynamics and guiding monetary policy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom