Job titles and FIRE

Congrats! Retired at 46 and understand your situation. However at your age, people may assume you are a slacker if you are unemployed so a good title is the way to go. Since close friends know your background in crypto, telling them you got a job as a financial analyst / asset management role would be a credible and related role. Add in a little international component to it (ie, a company out of Singapore) helps cover your story for not working a 9-5 job.

Reminds me of the story about he McDonalds manager that really owned 5 McDonalds, kept his ownership a secret until he popped the question, then let her know about his wealth.
I do think it's wise to keep your stealth wealth.

I did the same with DW, not to be sneaky. Her sons told her never tell anyone how much you have. There are too many scam artists out there.
At some point, as our relationship got very serious, I let her "look behind the curtain".
P.S. We just celebrated our 14th anniversary.

Don't make more of this than it actually is. Tell the truth. You are unemployed but have enough resources to go on without working for now. Folks who are uncomfortable with this and keep pressing for more details will tone down over time.

Definitely don't be untruthful when it isn't necessary. What good is freedom if you can't be yourself? Especially to your girlfriend. You wouldn't want to find out that a large part of her life was a lie she told you because she wasn't sure she trusted you'd respond the right way.

As far as expectations that you'll pick up the tab all time, just remind yourself that the reason you can afford retirement is twofold: you have money for your specific budget. A straightforward approach to this is simple to understand, and your friends should be capable of getting it.

Friends of mine who were FIRE and not famous, took a shell position at some friend's company, with one of the following titles:

"Program Manager" (Millennial)
"Director" (Gen X)
"Independent Advisor" (Boomer & older)

Once you reach 60 you no longer care, and generally go out when you really want to.

But I am a fan of stealth wealth myself, and whenever I said I was "mini retired" at age 36, I did get attention I didn't want.

If you solve it for the girl friend then you solve it for everyone else

Living off saving while you think what direction to take with life is probably truthful

This is what I would do. It fits your situation (so it's honest).

It's interesting how some people will never accept that some *choose* to retire early. One BIL, who I used to work with, kept sending me job leads for about 3 years after I retired... even though I was clear I had retired and wasn't looking for work. To put it in perspective, he's still working at age 66 even though he can afford to retire. He just doesn't know what to do with himself... so he couldn't relate to my desire to retire. He's one of those "I am my job" types.

I retired at 39, and spent a fair amount of time in my 40s answering the question. In fact, I'm sure they're at least 1/2 dozen posts in this forum from me answering the question. Pretty much all were some variation of what's been said investor, financial consultant, financial manager etc. I also mention I work at home, which is no longer a thing after Covid.

However, I would disagree with using this approach for a girlfriend or anyone that you want to have close relationship. I suspect that many probably most very early retiree (<40) go back to work at some point. I actually, wish I could have found my second act, instead of just volunteer work.

So for the GF and close friends, I'd say. I did very well in crypto, so I'm taking a break/sabbatical/extended vacation, while I figure my next gig/chapter. I would definitely emphasize your frugal lifestyle (if it is true)

Yes, you may pick up some extra bar tab, or dinner, but so what you can't take it with and there are far worse uses of your money than treating friends.

Finally, to the OP enjoy it while you can. Once, I turned 60, with pure white hair, when I say I'm retired, other than the occasional "that nices" no one bats and I. I was actually happy when the 30 something house painter said your too young to retire , and I said 'naw I'm 62 not all too young."

How about " Trust Fund Baby"? That would shut people down pretty quickly, I would think. They don't need to know that it is a Living Trust and that there really isn't a trust at all (unless there is).

I know a lot of people want to know what we do. They seem to think it defines us. Maybe it does in their eyes. Most of us here are financial loners and don't follow the norms. Why should I even bother worrying about what they think?

How about " Trust Fund Baby"? That would shut people down pretty quickly, I would think. They don't need to know that it is a Living Trust and that there really isn't a trust at all (unless there is).

I think the "Trust Funder" moniker might be the most fitting. After all, aren't most of us who are retired trusting our funds will last as long as we do?

I would just say "I do investing" or "I am taking some time off." Those are both true and seem like perfectly reasonable responses. Why give an untruthful response when there are perfectly reasonable truthful ones?

I used to tell people I get my money by "Standing at Stud". While no one believed me they also got the MYOB inference.

OP - Just tell your GF that you are taking time to figure out what you want to do in life, and you are living off savings in the meantime.
If she is a short-timer GF, it's perfect.
If she is a long-term relationship then you haven't poisoned the well of trust by a made up lie.

For me it's easy. My job title while still working is Senior Project Manager. I think that fits when I take on the retirement project. I may drop the Senior part if I get sensitive about my age.

Personally, if the person I was romantically involved with lied to me about how they spent their days, that would be a deal breaker. I would never, ever be able to trust them again. Man up and just be honest.
I do have to agree that flat out lying could be a deal breaker for me too. Although I think it's okay to be a little vague at first. Or act very frugal so they think you may be FIRED but lean FIRED. If the attitude of the person changes after you reveal more, then I would just have to move on at that point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom