Jumped Off the Cliff Today

That sentiment was well worded and received… I haven’t done it yet, I sort of did but they said to “just do what you like and stay here a while.” so as I’ve internalized that it’s become a bit of a relief… But I still have people depending on me to show up for them… So I know that when I go back and say I’m just done… it will be a great weight. I would do that now, but then again - if I can just do the parts I like and delegate all the rest… the pay is worth the occasional meeting that I must do where I’d rather not…

CONGRATULATIONS to you for finally just doing it. Safe and Happy trails ahead.

That’s the issue isn’t it- our people still are relying on us and they need that until there is a replacement.
I have a really competent second in command so I’m hoping they select him for my replacement.

It took me a while to realize I was just done and it really didn’t matter what changed.

Good luck in making that final break. I think you will know when it’s time to leave.

I was a product manager at a big company and gave 2 months notice in 2015. I noticed that suddenly I was not being invited to meetings, planning spreadsheets weren’t being sent my way, it was a blast!
Any meetings I did attend everyone looked at me with a bit of envy, knowing I wasn’t signing up for any more work. Enjoy the ride it will be over quickly.

Thanks!
We have several big initiatives coming down from the state and I’m happy to let everyone else take those over.

Get ready to immediately become "invisible" to most all management and upper mgmt beginning Monday morning.[emoji3]. It could be a long 3 mos

My problem is I am upper management. [emoji12]

I’ve got to say I’m a little jealous of all the posters here who got to choose their retirement date. It must feel so empowering. I was not given that opportunity. I was “retired” against my will at 59 1/2 along with many others (downsizing/getting rid of the oldsters). It was supposedly voluntary but they made it clear that if you didn’t take the severance package and if they didn’t get enough “volunteers,” you would forfeit the package. Unfortunately for them, they guessed wrong the number who would take the offer and had to do some rehiring. After freaking out, we looked at our numbers and realized we’d be ok. Thankfully, my husband is getting a pension. They actually did me a favor because my daughter had twins a couple of days before my last day and we were able to help since her husband was deployed.
Same thing happened to my Megacorp (our plant site). About 225 folks were placed in a room and given the "pitch." The expected response was 150 and they got almost 200 - with no way to re-fill the numbers or years of expertise. It turned out to be quite the horror show. YMMV

Congratulations Irishgirlyc58! Thank you for all your years serving the public! I work in the public sector as well so I know it can have its unique challenges. I hope you enjoy your new season!

Congratulations, I am sure you are going to really enjoy this next chapter of your life :)

Back
Top Bottom