Just joined Facebook, OMG The good, the bad, and the ugly

Here is a good link to helping on the settings:
5 Facebook settings to change now | One Page | Komando.com

Thanks for that link. The one about the ads was especially helpful. I subsequently found the following link from my facebook settings which allowed me to opt out of allowing websites I have visited to display relevant ads on my facebook. I opted out of over 100 of these things...geez.

Opt Out From Online Behavioral Advertising By Participating Companies (BETA)

I joined FB about a year ago after avoiding it for so long. Old dogs do learn new tricks. I was worried about the security, etc. Now, I check in every day or so. I have a lot of outdoor interests and really like the outdoor groups and clubs I belong to. It is the best way to get information of upcoming hikes, etc. I keep up with friends that way, too. Pictures, etc. I have met real people and made real friends through Facebook because of our interests.

I can't believe all the people that have to repost political stuff and trash in general. Kinda like people that blather on their cell phones all day. I either unfriend or unfollow.

Here is a good link to helping on the settings:
5 Facebook settings to change now | One Page | Komando.com

Thanks for that link. The one about the ads was especially helpful. I subsequently found the following link from my facebook settings which allowed me to opt out of allowing websites I have visited to display relevant ads on my facebook. I opted out of over 100 of these things...geez.

Opt Out From Online Behavioral Advertising By Participating Companies (BETA)

Thanks for the links. Just finished modifying my settings. Today just exchanged messages from a family member I have not seen for a long time, they will be in town next week and we will get together. Would not have happened had I not been on FB.

I have come to realize that FB is how people communicate nowadays. So I guess I will just have to live with it and get over my original aversion to it. Now I just hope I don't myself become a FB junkie!

I have come to realize that FB is how people communicate nowadays. So I guess I will just have to live with it and get over my original aversion to it. Now I just hope I don't myself become a FB junkie!
We found it very useful as we joined several FB groups for various local nature fans, plus follow pages maintained by numerous local nature parks.

That's what basically forced our hand, and it is very useful for tracking local happenings of interest. If someone finds a rare bird or butterfly it's usually posted within a couple of hours and someone checking their feed has a chance to go see it. They used to use phone hotlines for this type of thing. FB is much more efficient and includes photos!

Thank you Simple Girl for that link.

Audreyh1...If you were living in my area, I know we would know each other. Same interests and groups...

Hmmm....it looks like somebody did indeed forget about it. The last update to that page was in 2012, though visitors have posted to it since then.
I guess someone should post a question asking whether to pay off the mortgage.

My wife is very good at FB, and she set up a family group to distribute MIL household items. Over 180 pictures that were posted then selected in a draft format with 6 participants. It was very effective given that the participants were all in different states.

Or maybe a question like taking all the money from your 401 and paying off your $70k credit card debt and buying the kid a new car before taking out a loan on the cruise to Panama...

I joined so I could keep up with my kids. I've added three other relatives, so I now follow six people. I know all of them in real life.

So, my "I really didn't need to see this" stuff is pretty limited.
A couple do occasionally post political stuff. It's usually interesting to see what they are reading, even if I don't agree.

I might post something once a month. My personal profile on FB is extremely limited - the only information out there is stuff that's widely available elsewhere.

you could join private FB groups...420 social people is a good place to start.

Egad, no--it is no work now, but if you start with crazy ideas like that, who knows what could happen!!!!

I like keeping up with bands and their touring schedules on FB, and also as an easy way to read stories from various news sources by following their pages. And it is a lazy introvert's best way to keep up with all the random people in your life.

I also manage a few pages and help with a few others, so I wind up doing a fair bit of time answering questions and posting stuff, though I myself rarely repost other people's stuff.

And for goodness sake--friend and follow your spouse!! :)

Egad, no--it is no work now, but if you start with crazy ideas like that, who knows what could happen!!!!

I like keeping up with bands and their touring schedules on FB, and also as an easy way to read stories from various news sources by following their pages. And it is a lazy introvert's best way to keep up with all the random people in your life.

I also manage a few pages and help with a few others, so I wind up doing a fair bit of time answering questions and posting stuff, though I myself rarely repost other people's stuff.

And for goodness sake--friend and follow your spouse!! :)

And don't forget to LIKE everything they post! :facepalm:

I've totally lost control of my facebook newsfeed.:facepalm:

I select the option to "see fewer posts like this" for many posts, but that seems to do no good. Now I'm tempted to place almost everyone as just an acquaintance. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom