Kitchen Drinking Water Filter

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We've had my Whirlpool under-sink water filter for eons, but apparently they stopped making the replacement filters. I've seen some "compatible" filters on Amazon but I don't trust them. So, I'm starting a hunt for a replacement. My town's water is technically safe, but has a terrible chlorine taste, which my Whirlpool filter took care of.
Any suggestions for simple under-sink filter systems... or other options?

I use a screw-on charcoal filter on the tap of my kitchen sink. It gets rid of the chlorine taste. You can bypass it, to get unfiltered water, if desired. It filters out some of the x,y,and z chemicals, too. I just hope it gets a lot of them. I change it once every 2 years or so. Even after 2 years, the chlorine taste is still filtered out, so I hope it is still filtering the chemicals. But even my unfiltered tap water is supposedly safe to drink.

Are the under-sink water filters much superior to the water filters that refrigerators have for water dispensed through the door? Hope this is not too dumb of a question.

Are the under-sink water filters much superior to the water filters that refrigerators have for water dispensed through the door? Hope this is not too dumb of a question.

There are many different choices for undersink, hard to say if it's superior, the one I use looks similar to a refrigerator filter but much larger so it can handle more water throughput.

Does anyone have a problem with lime and what filter do you use for that? my fixtures lime up quickly because of the hard water, but I really like the taste of it.

OP here. Found some original filters, but 2 years' worth, so at least I won't have to make any decision until then.

Forget under the sink, even a generic carbon filter on the water line that feeds the fridge is cheaper & much higher capacity than the OEM-branded proprietary water filter that installs in the back of the inside of the fridge.

We've had my Whirlpool under-sink water filter for eons, but apparently they stopped making the replacement filters. I've seen some "compatible" filters on Amazon but I don't trust them. So, I'm starting a hunt for a replacement. My town's water is technically safe, but has a terrible chlorine taste, which my Whirlpool filter took care of.
Any suggestions for simple under-sink filter systems... or other options?

Glenn, try discountfilters.com for compatible replacement filters before ditching your current filter system. I have used their water filters and air filters for years and I am very happy with the quality at very good prices.
Good luck.

There are many different choices for undersink, hard to say if it's superior, the one I use looks similar to a refrigerator filter but much larger so it can handle more water throughput.

Thank you for that reply. I was beginning to wonder if I was missing something by relying on my refrigerator water filter. It does do a good job eliminating the chemical taste I otherwise notice from my faucet water.

Seems to depend on what you're trying to filter out.

For things like lead and common thing in tap water, those water pitcher systems using activated carbon may be enough.

They're not particularly cheap and the common complaint seems to be that they're too slow to filter.

I researched microplastics filtrationand found this webpage.

https://waterpurificationguide.com/water-filters-that-remove-microplastics/

So it appears reverse osmosis is the way to go.

But whole house systems are well into 4 figures while under the sink RO units can be a couple of hundred.

However, Home Depot doesn't seem to offer installation services. The main thing water-related seems to be them trying to sell you on water softeners.

I use a water distiller. Installing a system seemed like too much trouble and expense, just for one person and a dog. I make a gallon a day, and that covers my needs. $300 for the distiller.

We have a Body Glove filter and have been happy with it. Replacement filters are expensive but the system has been reliable for 7 years.

OP here. By coincidence, while at son's house a few weeks ago I took a drink of water and it tasted great (i.e., it had no taste.......you know, like water). He told me he had installed a reverse osmosis filter. Same day, I called the company that did his, one week after that I have my own reverse osmosis filter.
It's great. Kicking myself I didn't suck it up, pay the dough, and do this years ago. However, I'm a very happy camper now.

OP here. By coincidence, while at son's house a few weeks ago I took a drink of water and it tasted great (i.e., it had no taste.......you know, like water). He told me he had installed a reverse osmosis filter. Same day, I called the company that did his, one week after that I have my own reverse osmosis filter.
It's great. Kicking myself I didn't suck it up, pay the dough, and do this years ago. However, I'm a very happy camper now.

Did you get a system for the whole house or just feeding like the kitchen faucet?

How often do you have to change the RO media and how much does it cost?

Did you get a system for the whole house or just feeding like the kitchen faucet?
The set-up is under the kitchen sink, has a dedicated faucet (we took out the existing soap dispenser pump so we did not have to drill another hole in the granite).

How often do you have to change the RO media and how much does it cost?
There are 3 (4?) cartridge filters. All but one get replaced annually, and the last one every 3 years. 11 months from now I'll read the paperwork to see what needs to be replaced. The cost to replace is roughly $100, and if I have the supplier do it it'll be a service charge on top of that.

I use a water distiller. Installing a system seemed like too much trouble and expense, just for one person and a dog. I make a gallon a day, and that covers my needs. $300 for the distiller.

Does it actually distill the water? That takes a fair amount of energy. Maybe 50 cents/gallon?? Still cheaper than suspect supermarket water. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom