Laptop - Erased Hard Drive

I never thought I'd say this, but get a new laptop with Windows 8.1. DW and I are happy we did.

+1

Really, you can get a nice new laptop with Windows 8.1 for $200-$350 in places like Office Depot or Best Buy, or probably less if you do some looking around online at bargain places.

Considering how much time we use our computers each day, I think that is a huge bargain.

Last edited:
Ouch! I feel your pain, imoldernu. I had that happen once. My advice would be to call in a computer geek. My local geek had the software necessary to get the PC going again and was able to restore all my files. It was money well spent.
+1 that was my 1st thought.
and don't do anything else with the computer until they look at it.

I am just waiting for my laptop to go (or something like what happened to iamoldernu to happen to mine) so that I can get a new one. One can be had for $250 with all the whistles and bells I ever need.

If anyone is looking to put bad laptops in good usage .... I had 3 bad laptops (infected beyond repair, outdated) which someone gave me. DS showed me an external laptop hard drive bay (USB based, can be bought from ebay for $7). Rather than throwing away the laptops, I took out the drives (170GB, 130GB) and using them as USB based storage device. You can do the same for desktop drives. It's one of those "why didn't I think of it before" moments for me.

I am just waiting for my laptop to go (or something like what happened to iamoldernu to happen to mine) so that I can get a new one.

Today my bike's old GPS cyclocomputer wouldn't turn on. I was celebrating that I could buy a newer model and checking prices on Amazon. Then I remembered that I can fix it with a soft reset. :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom