laundry detergents

veremchuka

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
irradiated - too close to the nuclear furnace
i have used wisk for at least 20 years. last time i bought it a few years ago i got a good sale and i bought 4 ~ 102 oz jugs. i just opened my last one and i was looking at prices cuz i'll have to buy some one day. i'm shocked that what i thought/remember was $5.99 to $7.99 range is now $12 to $21 dollars! i'm talking about wisk, all, tide and a couple of others. but then i see arm and hammer and another name i just can't recall that are 1/2 the price. what about store brand names?

what do you use and what's the price? i'd assume all are good even the store brand names but if it doesn't do a good job then it''s not worth the money.

You may want to look closely at the concentrations of the laundry soaps sold ... 2x, 3x, etc. This may help explain the increase of costs, and of course, manufacturers needs to increase profit margins. Also, there's the HE - high efficiency detergents for the newer washers out today.

A good sale on Tide 50 oz is around $6, usually combined w/buy $10 or more in groceries and coupon offer. This is in the Chicagoland area.

I have a septic tank, so on the advice of my septic system installer, I use NO liquid detergents. Arm & Hammer powder is my favorite. It is one of the few products that is not saturated with :sick: fragrances.
I use half the recommended amount unless there is a lot of soil on the clothes or I am doing a very large size load.
Cost is whatever the local dollar store wants for the bulk size. There is no price sticker on the box.

i'm on a septic system too. i like liquid detergents because they mix well with the water where sometimes the powders don't. i pick no fragrance detergent. i was never told to not use or to use anything because i'm on a septic system

if i have an 11 year old washer that that mean i should not use HE detergents cuz i won't get my money's worth?

i'll read the link.

how about the store brands that are the least expensive?

ok i read that link, i have no desire to make it i prefer to buy it but not where i need a mortgage! :)

Last edited:
I have a septic tank, so on the advice of my septic system installer, I use NO liquid detergents.

I've never had a septic tank, but remember the days of having to clean out my parent's catch basin in the basement from powder detergent, that stuff (Tide mostly) would never fully dissolve and would cake up 3-6" or more sticking to the basin walls. We had to scrap off the walls using a shovel and bucket it out. In my house, we've always used liquid, and I'd check the catch basin, there's never any buildup from it, this has been for over 20 years now.

Last edited:
if i have an 11 year old washer that that mean i should not use HE detergents cuz i won't get my money's worth?

If you have an old washer, just use regular detergent, only use HE detergent for HE washers. But, if you have a lot of regular detergent and just got a new HE washer, you can check w/the manufacturer, they don't like to tell you, but you can reduce the amount and you can use up what you have of the old supply. Google this topic before trying, you'll have to experiment with reduced ratios, or you may end up like that Brady Bunch episode where the laundry room is full of suds!

Here's a thread on laundry detergents that has another thread about laundry detergents...and ummm...roaches...:angel:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/laundry-soap-for-a-lifetime-51067.html?highlight=laundry

Still enjoying the use of home made laundry soap. But I decreased the amount I put in each load. The tablespoon I had been using was too strong (seem to wear out) some clothes -- in, particular elastics around t-shirts, etc. Funny complaining about laundry detergent too strong instead of the otherway around :D

I've been using the homemade detergent for a few months and I love it, I'll never go back. I make a double batch using 1 bar of Ivory and 1 bar of Fels-Naptha.

The same guy who posted the recipe also has a recipe for homemade dishwasher detergent and I'm going to try that when we use up our current supply. It has some of the same ingredients as the laundry powder - Borax and Arm and Hammer Washing Soda and then you also use Kosher Salt and Citric Acid.

http://diynatural.com/simple-effective-jabs-homemade-dishwasher-detergent-rinse-agent/

The Kosher salt is to add some scrubbing and the citric acid is to cut grease I think. I found the citric acid locally at a beer and cheese supply store which is cheaper than Amazon.

Has anyone tried the dishwasher detergent?

I like the idea of the homemade dish washing liquid and laundry detergent. I was brought up on Ivory soap, Instant Fels Naptha for the laundry and Breck's shampoo. I use white vinegar and baking soda a lot for cleaning.

I just got a new HE washing machine, and I buy whatever fragrance-free detergent is on sale, esp. if I also have a coupon. I like the Arm and Hammer brand, but I am currently using Tide fragrance free coldwater formula.

Tide products got high ratings from a recent Consumer Reports issue, while, for example, they said you got clothes just as clean using pure water than the poorly-rated Martha Stewart brand. (BTW: Her bed sheets also received very low marks from CR.)

I use Sam's brand liquid and it costs between $8 and $10 for a large bottle. I wash mostly in cold water and the powders do not dissolve in the winter time. Also I use only a tablespoon for a regular large wash; if the clothes are extra dirty I'll go with 2 tablespoons.

Back
Top Bottom