Lawn Question: (New Grass)

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
6 days ago, I dug up a small bare spot in my lawn, removed the scattered clumps of grass present, applied fresh topsoil, & covered it with one of those bags that contain both fertilizer & grass seed.

Today, the first shoots of grass are starting to pop up. It's been warm & muggy up until today, & I’ve watered it every evening after there was no longer sun shining directly on the area.

Tonight the temperature is going to get down into the low 50s.
(15° to 20° cooler than it's been in the previous 6 nights)
I read all the directions on the back of the package, & it only states that it does better when temperatures stay above 60° overnight.

Should I continue to water it in the evening ?

And don't forget to sit on your Porch and yell at the kids -- "Get off of my Lawn" !!

In a large part of the USA the best grass planting season is September and October. Most grasses prefer cool and damp.

We're in a Bermuda turfgrass belt. Only problem is that when properly fertilized and watered, Bermuda must be cut about twice a week and best if bagged. Quits growing in September, too.

We put Roundup on our Bermuda to kill every sprig--and resodded with Zoysia. Looks great and doesn't wear the homeowner out. Much better for a retiree to cut without getting so worn out.

Ideally, the grass would dry and not be damp over night. Too many diseases occur with wet grass.

Back
Top Bottom