Learn about Texas History

Have you ever read about the San Patricios and their story . A really sad one , the story gives us a black eye. In 2019 I was in an Irish museum reading old letters from those guys .

I recall being quite moved when visiting the Alamo. It did seem incongruous being located in the middle of the city that's grown up around it. The historians couldn't replicate all the complex which was actually defended during those 13(?) days but there were pretty good reconstructions and drawings, etc. that indicated how it was successfully defended for so long. I thought the historians were also quite respectful of the original Mexican "owners" of the area - never saying there were "good guys and bad guys." There was a conflict that had to be resolved and there are still remnants of conflict to day - much as there is in the Islands and almost everywhere on Earth. Respect is rarely wasted and seeing something from more than one point of view can pay dividends to all. Sorry, end of sermon.:flowers:

A great source for Texas history, which is quite long and varied, is to read Michener’s humongous book “Texas”.

Our land is part of the Abraham Zuber tract . Abraham was from PA .got married and moved to Texas his family participated in the Runaway Scrape ....When they returned to their land they found a runaway Louis Rose Moses a survivor of the Alamo . Zuber was able to take from Moses and write the story of the Alamo. Zuber for this was given most of Grimes , Brazos and part of Montgomery country . He was the first district clerk of Montgomery county.

So many of those that lost their lives at The Alamo were Tennesseans. Davey Crockett was one of them.

Sam Houston was the governor of Tennessee before he became the governor of Texas.

The University of Tennessee got their Volunteer name because of all the state's citizens that went off to Texas to fight for its independence.

And if you can find a native Texan today, there is a good chance that they'll speak with a southern dialect the same as someone from Middle Tennessee. First Lady Laura Bush has the same accent as someone from Nashville.

I don't need to learn anything more about Texas. REWahoo tells me everything I need to know.

Sam Houston was the governor of Tennessee before he became the governor of Texas.
Why is Houston pronounced differently in Texas vs. Georgia?

Texas: Hugh-ston
Georgia: House-ton

The University of Tennessee got their Volunteer name because of all the state's citizens that went off to Texas to fight for its independence.
Did UT get its colors from UT? :confused:

Last edited:
Why is Houston pronounced differently in Texas vs. Georgia?

Texas: Hugh-ston
Georgia: House-ton

I grew up in Georgia but have only heard the normal “Hugh-ston”, including for the completely delicious restaurant chain, Houston’s. However, a significant Atlanta street through the Emory campus, Houston Mill Road is called “House-ston Mill Road” for some reason, so maybe that’s the culprit. Georgia has lots of very specific accents, so who knows?

Now, I have noticed that (some?) Texans seem to say “YOO-ston”. Right?

Warner Robbins is in Houston County, and there is a Houston Parkway there - both pronounced “House-ton”.

Oh yeah - YOU-ston is very common in TX

OK - I found it. Different (earlier) person and initially different spelling
It was named after Georgia governor John Houstoun, with the spelling being a common 19th-century variation that later evolved to "Houston".[4] The pronunciation, however, remains to this day "howston."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_County,_Georgia

Last edited:
Do recommend this one:

A Texas Cowboy: or, Fifteen Years on the Hurricane Deck of a Spanish Pony
By Charles A. Siringo

x4wVp0Tl.png

I don't need to learn anything more about Texas. REWahoo tells me everything I need to know.

Yeah, I think he suggested we all go back where we came from - or similar welcoming words.:LOL::cool:

He has one underlying message, don't move to Texas!:LOL:

I grew up in Georgia but have only heard the normal “Hugh-ston”, including for the completely delicious restaurant chain, Houston’s. However, a significant Atlanta street through the Emory campus, Houston Mill Road is called “House-ston Mill Road” for some reason, so maybe that’s the culprit. Georgia has lots of very specific accents, so who knows?

Now, I have noticed that (some?) Texans seem to say “YOO-ston”. Right?

Except the county in Georgia is pronounced by the locals (at least all the Georgia natives I know including myself) as "HOUSE-ton".

The worst ATL pronunciation has to be Ponce de Leon since the locals speak it EXACTLY as it's spelled. :D

Forty years ago we moved to Texas , best move we ever made. Every time I turned around someone called me a yankee . Then I heard Paul Harvey explain what a yankee was . Kind of liked it.

So many of those that lost their lives at The Alamo were Tennesseans. Davey Crockett was one of them.

And if you can find a native Texan today, there is a good chance that they'll speak with a southern dialect the same as someone from Middle Tennessee. First Lady Laura Bush has the same accent as someone from Nashville.

That’s very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

How many threads do we see promoting the history of the other 49 states? I suspect that tells you something about the history of Texas right there.

Looks like my work here is done.

Nope. My home state has just adopted a state income tax for the first time. Texas is looking better. Housing prices are already lower in Texas, and now no threat of an income tax in addition.

Last edited:
Nope!

You need to get over to Austin where all those California people are migrating to and set them straight.

Quick!

Too late!

Apple and Tesla already have massive campuses in Austin.

SpaceX is even infiltrating the RGV and plans to bring in a huge number more people.

Too late!

Apple and Tesla already have massive campuses in Austin.

SpaceX is even infiltrating the RGV and plans to bring in a huge number more people.

I guess we let our guard down during the Covid season last year! Oh well, more jobs and more high tech. :cool:

I've always been fond of Texas and Texans.

They are responsible for great additions to society--like Tex Mex food and Chicken Fried Steak.

I often would visit my best friend in Highland Park. When his property taxes hit $50K per year, he sold the house and moved 20 miles north--out of Dallas.

Back
Top Bottom