Looks like this Forum's Index is screwed up.......

Re: Looks like this Forum's Index is screwed up...

Status update: I couldn't quite get the old board running on the new server. (The new board with the converted data is still running fantastic, of course.) I sorta did, but not really. There may be two problems conspiring against me at the same time.

But I think I now have the information I need to make a script that will accept a url for this board and redirect to the proper thread and page on the new board, even if the threads and boards get moved around on the new board. This means I think I make make old links adapt to the new board.

Techie explanation: The new forum only needs the topic number and optionally a starting post number to read a topic/thread, so all I have to to is cross-reference this board's "?...num=1114378782;start=45" from the url to the "?topic=2649.45" on the new url. I had to modify the migration program to save that cross-reference table for me. Now I need to write a script using that info.

Sounds to me like if we just hook the doohickey to the
whatchamacallit and then get the thingamajig up and running we can sail on fueled only by methane gas,
pomposity and pancake bunnies.

JG

Sounds to me like if we just hook the doohickey to the
whatchamacallit and then get the thingamajig up and running we can sail on fueled only by methane gas,
pomposity and pancake bunnies.

JG
Damn, why didn't I think of that? And you said you don't know this stuff!

By the way, Dory36, on the plan we discussed in email there's no tech/admin problem with moving the forum first and then changing boards around if we don't know what the new boards will be yet. But if we do know the new board structure it would make sense to do it while the DNS is switching over.

Back
Top Bottom