Majorly myopic - how to save $ on glasses?

Boose

Recycles dryer sheets
As I near my FIRE date, I realize how much insurance and flex spending I have squandered during my employment, on Varilux progressives, Coach frames, prescription sunglasses, special computer lenses... that money is feeling much more tangible than it did before. I'll be on the ACA for 15 years, if it survives that long, and few of the plans cover vision care outside of emergencies.

Do you have a thrifty plan for prescription glasses in retirement? My reading prescription hasn't stabilized yet, so I may need new lenses yearly, but I feel like I could be more strategic in how I purchase them. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

I have bought quite a few glasses from Zennioptical.com , including some progressive lenses and some prescription sunglasses. The prices are significantly less than what I had been paying, and I am pleased with the fit and how they work. The last pair of progressives that I got at the optician were not comfortable. The mail-order ones are just fine.

Apparently there is a monopoly in the frame business, which is why the price of frames are so expensive.

I've used 39dollarglasses.com for progressive regular glasses and for prescription sunglasses. All with good success and savings.

I've used 39dollarglasses.com for progressive regular glasses and for prescription sunglasses. All with good success and savings.

I was thrilled with my prescription sunglasses that I got several years ago through 39dollarglasses dot com.

At age 67, I had cataract surgery and now I do not need anything for distance vision any more. Pretty amazing new experience! Now, I have a wonderful pair of non-prescription Ray-Ban sunglasses. :D

Due to the type of lens implants that I chose, for close up work I do use cheap readers (that I get on Amazon) but that's fine with me.

If you have AARP, that will get you a 30% discount on most glasses/lens.
Costco is also pretty good too.

ZenniOptical has never failed me. The glasses I'm wearing right now cost $6.95. I asked my optician if there's something wrong with ZenniOptical glasses. He said, "No. I don't know how they do it."

My bifocals with transitions lenses cost $65.

At the regular eye doctor place, I have re-used a pair of frames from previous glasses. Seemed like a waste to spend $120 of frames, when I had perfectly fine ones sitting unused.
The doc was totally fine with it.

Mr. A. needs a +7.5 for reading, and the reading space on today's small-framed bifocals is so tiny, he can't use it. So I got him a pair of Zenni reading glasses for about $80.00, whereas the optometrist's office wanted nearly $400.00. Had to get somewhat more expensive Zenni frames, since the lenses are rather heavy.

The Zennis work, and look good, too.

Zenni has been good for me too. There has only been one time I did not like the frames I purchased. I wear them when mowing the grass so I get some use out of them. Ha

Oh, and I got a special pair just for needlework. I'm moderately nearsighted, so need very little close-up correction; but one eye is highly astigmatic, and drugstore readers don't help with that. The needlework glasses magnify 1X and correct for astigmatism. Zenni Rx was, I think, $45.00 with anti-glare coating and shipping/handling.

Yep another Zenni cheerleader here. I bought 1 pair of bifocals @ $26 which I use when on the computer and 3 pair of $6.95 single lens for driving, tv watching, outside, etc.

Another happy Zenni customer here. I just bought 4 pair of glasses for me and the Mr. Final price was $190....less than $50 each. All had transition lenses and one pair had bifocals.

Costco has been the best for me.
Have trifocals/transition lenses with astigmatism correction and both near/far sighted. Can hardly see a thing without my glasses!

Wow, thanks for the replies! I'll have to compare glasses from Zenni and my optometrist's provider while I still have flex spending. I didn't think an online retailer could accommodate anything beyond the most basic single-vision lenses. Thanks again.

Costco, 100%. I took COBRA vision coverage when I retired because it was $4 a month, but when that's gone, I'll be ditching the eye doctor and going to Costco for the exam too. They have a nice selection of frames, very few are over $100 and if you go at the right time you can add on a pair of computer glasses for ~$40.

I had a sister that was an optician and know first hand the mark up on frames and lenses is astronomical. She’s retired now and so my next eyeglass purchase will also be with Zenni Optical.

Thanks for this info. I wear monovision contacts but need additional reading correction in one eye for choral singing and when I'm doing a lot of computer work or reading. My optometrist used to be able to get custom readers with one lens plain and one corrective, but hasn't had them for several years. I have only one pair and am terrified I'll lose or break them. Just went onto Zenni and ordered a pair of $6.95 glasses ($11.90 with tax and shipping). I'm hopeful this will be a solution!

I also vote for Zenni Optical. I had lasik in one eye for distance vision. As a consequence I need prescription readers. I found a pair I liked for Zenni for $7. After I ordered the first pair from Zenni and liked them I ordered 7 more identical pairs and have them all over the house. They are very attractive and I get many compliments on them.

My optometrist used to be able to get custom readers with one lens plain and one corrective, but hasn't had them for several years.

Before I learned about Zenni, 39dollarglasses, and the rest, I used to buy my (expensive) glasses at the local Pearle Vision store (they're owned by Luxottica who also owns Lenscrafters and just about every other brand you can think of).

When I had my first cataract surgery, I had a month before my second one was scheduled, so I went in and asked if I could get one lens replaced with no prescription (that's called a plano). Much to my surprise, they said they do that all the time, and would be happy to do it at no charge.

All good suggestions above. One thing I would add. If you are used to Varilux lenses some of the cheaper generic progressives can be very hard to get comfortable with. I have had problems with it.
There are discount eyeglass places that do sell Varilux though.

Good luck!
Murf

Hate to make a spectacle of myself :cool: , but I'll be ordering some this week and will price compare these sites and eyebuydirect.com. I will let the you know what I find. I'm getting quotes on 2 different sets - one simple for close reading (my pair from eyebuydirect was very inexpensive the last time, a few years ago.) and one with variable bifocal, astigmatism, coatings, etc. etc.

Do these online places require a prescription, like a scan of it, or do you just enter the prescription values yourself into a table to order?

Back
Top Bottom