Mayo Clinic and Medicare

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a week-long appointment with Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN next month. They were alarmingly efficient, and electronically transferred all my medical records and imaging during a phone call, obviously with my permission. My medical issue is somewhat specialized (my disease is rare). I wanted the best advice and was referred to Mayo.

Has anyone been to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN? Does Medicare cover it? I have a good HSA balance for health issues, I'm just wondering. For some reason, I think of Mayo as a first-class expensive healthcare system. The DR I'm scheduled to meet has pages of experience and Yale education but worked and researched all over the place. The campus is huge. Now I'm kind of scared.

My understanding is that yes Mayo accepts Medicare but to be sure you should call them.

Medicare.gov is a great site to go to to find out if providers accept Medicare assignment or not. Once at the site, (currently) click on Providers and Services and then Find Care Providers, then plug in type of provider, location and provider name.

It is my opinion anyone on Medicare should always check this site and call the provider directly too because, even if one has other insurance, Medicare might be covering the bulk of the bill. And, of course check with one's secondary insurance as well, or if on Medicare Advantage, with them too.

Also, even if the facility accepts Medicare, I always check to see if the individual doctor accepts it as well.

Medicare.gov is a great site to go to to find out if providers accept Medicare assignment or not. Once at the site, (currently) click on Providers and Services and then Find Care Providers, then plug in type of provider, location and provider name.

It is my opinion anyone on Medicare should always check this site and call the provider directly too because, even if one has other insurance, Medicare might be covering the bulk of the bill. And, of course check with one's secondary insurance as well, or if on Medicare Advantage, with them too.

Also, even if the facility accepts Medicare, I always check to see if the individual doctor accepts it as well.

Thanks! She is in there. I have original Medicare with part G. I'm pretty new to Medicare. Appreciate that!

Thanks! She is in there. I have original Medicare with part G. I'm pretty new to Medicare. Appreciate that!

Being new to Medicare, it might also be helpful for you to check the Medicare site for an understanding of Parts A, B, and D.

Of particular importance is to understand the difference when a provider "accepts assignment" or does not, and of course whether the provider accepts Medicare at all. Some do not. My opinion is to read carefully any paperwork you sign at any provider.

Part G for Medigap (as a secondary) is a common and highly regarded supplement by many. I personally would read that contract as well.

As for Part D (prescriptions), Medicare.gov has a nice thing where you can pull up the plans/costs in your area, and plug in your meds to check prices. Be aware that some plans have a deductible, and some do not, and some plans cover certain meds cheaper. Also, if I remember correctly, some meds are covered without the deductible being a factor? Others can maybe explain this better. Plans can change so I would recheck each year during open enrollment.

Also be aware, for anyone who might have expensive specialty meds, that beginning in 2025 for
Part D there will apparently be a $2000 per year max cap on out of pocket for meds so that could be greatly helpful for some.

Last edited:
Being new to Medicare, it might also be helpful for you to check the Medicare site for an understanding of Parts A, B, and D.

Of particular importance is to understand the difference when a provider "accepts assignment" or does not, and of course whether the provider accepts Medicare at all. Some do not. My opinion is to read carefully any paperwork you sign at any provider.

Part G for Medigap (as a secondary) is a common and highly regarded supplement by many. I personally would read that contract as well.

As for Part D (prescriptions), Medicare.gov has a nice thing where you can pull up the plans/costs in your area, and plug in your meds to check prices. Be aware that some plans have a deductible, and some do not, and some plans cover certain meds cheaper. Also, if I remember correctly, some meds are covered without the deductible being a factor? Others can maybe explain this better. Plans can change so I would recheck each year during open enrollment.

Also be aware, for anyone who might have expensive specialty meds, that beginning in 2025 for
Part D there will apparently be a $2000 per year max cap on out of pocket for meds so that could be greatly helpful for some.

Great advice. My intention is to get a better understanding of this disease, how it progresses, what has been researched, and what I can expect in the future. So at this point in time, I'm not seeking treatment. Whatever that might be, I'll decide depending on their expert opinions. They said to plan for a week there, which seems like a long time.

My bro is currently, like the last few weeks with more in the pipeline, seeing doctors there for his ailment. he is on Medicare and has had no problems.

My bro is currently, like the last few weeks with more in the pipeline, seeing doctors there for his ailment. he is on Medicare and has had no problems.

That's good news! I hope he's getting great care. I've heard, and this sounds funny, that Mayo is like medical Disneyland. You are treated very well there. I'd just like answers from the best.

I was told by a local person in AZ they do not take new medicare patients but if you have been going there before they will keep you when you switch to medicare. The person who told me may well have been wrong, but they were trying to tell me to go "early" so I could go later if needed. I just looked a the website and it give tax ids for each location I guess you could use to verify.

It was my understanding that Mayo takes original Medicare (and Supplement), but only takes some of the Medicare Advantage plans, so check with them about your plan.

I was told by a local person in AZ they do not take new medicare patients but if you have been going there before they will keep you when you switch to medicare. The person who told me may well have been wrong, but they were trying to tell me to go "early" so I could go later if needed. I just looked a the website and it give tax ids for each location I guess you could use to verify.
Arizona resident on traditional Medicare with G supplement here. When I was looking at options for treating my Achalasia a couple of years ago, I consulted with a surgeon at Mayo with no issues as far as my being on Medicare was concerned. Ultimately, I went with another group for my treatment but my Medicare would have covered the procedure if I had gone with Mayo.

See the link in post #5 earlier in the thread. Mayo specifically states on their website that they accept Medicare in Arizona.

This was only last year I was told they didn't ACCEPT NEW MEDICARE PATIENTS (not the same as not accepting Medicare) but good to know. I am not on medicare as yet so not applicable to me. The person that told me was a semi-stranger and may have had an advantage plan for all I know. I didn't have a need to worry about it but remembered the statement. Like at least a third of this city is probably on Medicare so would think they would take it!

Excuse me if that sounds a little grumpy I am stressing over medical bills right now myself. . .

Last edited:
My wife had a stem cell transplant years ago at Mayo with great results. We go yearly for check ups. She is on medicare and supplement g with no issues but I would think it would depend on your doctor. The Mayo campus is pretty big with three main sections. Mayo clinic, the Gonda building and the Methodist Hospital. There are several information centers throughout the complex and if you have a confused look people tend to reach out to you to see if you need help with directions. If my wife has a test that takes a while I tend to walk around, and people watch. There is a museum I believe on the 2nd floor that is interesting and a store that has some impressive woodcarving. We are impressed with the mayo system and how efficient they run things there at Rochester. Wish you the best you will be in good hands!

From everything I have heard Mayo is the place to go for difficult to diagnose/treat atypical conditions, as all the experts in their fields are there and they coordinate with each other to figure it out. Please let us know how it goes for you.

My wife had a stem cell transplant years ago at Mayo with great results. We go yearly for check ups. She is on medicare and supplement g with no issues but I would think it would depend on your doctor. The Mayo campus is pretty big with three main sections. Mayo clinic, the Gonda building and the Methodist Hospital. There are several information centers throughout the complex and if you have a confused look people tend to reach out to you to see if you need help with directions. If my wife has a test that takes a while I tend to walk around, and people watch. There is a museum I believe on the 2nd floor that is interesting and a store that has some impressive woodcarving. We are impressed with the mayo system and how efficient they run things there at Rochester. Wish you the best you will be in good hands!

From everything I have heard Mayo is the place to go for difficult to diagnose/treat atypical conditions, as all the experts in their fields are there and they coordinate with each other to figure it out. Please let us know how it goes for you.

Thank you, good news. Our hotel has shuttles and my account online is pretty specific. I will let you know.

Mayo will take Medicare patients for specialized treatment without a problem. Mayo generally won't take Medicare patients for general practitioner care. The only exception to this that I'm aware of is that they will continue to provide GP care for Medicare patients who had previously been using Mayo for GP for something like 3 years before they started on Medicare. I had been a GP patient of the Scottsdale Mayo Clinic a long time ago and when I turned 65 I tried to get them as my GP provider but they weren't interested. I found a local GP and haven't had a problem. When I was using Mayo as my GP provider it seemed like every year or two the GP I was seeing had left Mayo to start their own practice. I had 3 different GPs over a period of 3 or 4 years. I have several friends who have had various types of cancer and they were accepted as patients at Mayo without a problem. They all got their particular cancer problem resolved at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale and Mayo Hospital in Phoenix and were happy with the care they received. I get the feeling that the local Mayo Clinic mostly covers out patient procedures while Mayo Hospital does the bigger things that require overnight and multi-day care or special equipment that the clinic doesn't have. Mayo facilities in Rochester and Jacksonville, FL may be different. If I ever have a really serious problem (heart or kidney transplant, cancer, etc) the local Mayo facilities would be on my list of places I'd look into.

Back from Mayo. The museum is amazing! I took many pics. Our shuttle was on time for each appointment. Turns out my local nephrologist's diagnosis is incorrect. But for the sake of being 100%, they did a genetic test, I'm enrolled in a research study, and several Drs concur that I do not have PKD which would have been awful. I thought that DX seemed weird as I don't have the symptoms expressed on Google. The staff was great. All had personalities! A rare find. Fun, expressive, and told stories about other patients (no names of course). Could not believe the efficiency. The 7 hour drive was worth it and I have a Zoom appointment with my Dr in August to follow-up.

Back from Mayo. The museum is amazing! I took many pics. Our shuttle was on time for each appointment. Turns out my local nephrologist's diagnosis is incorrect. But for the sake of being 100%, they did a genetic test, I'm enrolled in a research study, and several Drs concur that I do not have PKD which would have been awful. I thought that DX seemed weird as I don't have the symptoms expressed on Google. The staff was great. All had personalities! A rare find. Fun, expressive, and told stories about other patients (no names of course). Could not believe the efficiency. The 7 hour drive was worth it and I have a Zoom appointment with my Dr in August to follow-up.

Glad it went well for you and that they lived up to their reputation as outstanding in diagnosing difficult situations.

Great news! For those who may not be aware I'll repeat what I mentioned above that Mayo has clinics and hospitals in Jacksonville, FL and Scottsdale-Phoenix, Arizona. They all work together for the benefit of the patient. One of my friends had a type of cancer that wasn't going to lead to a happy ending. He was going to the Mayo hospital in Phoenix for treatments. They worked really hard to help him but it wasn't going well. It finally reached the point where they told him that he might want to get his affairs in order.

This was right at the time when Jimmy Carter was dealing with brain cancer. He received gene therapy treatments and his cancer disappeared. A week or two after Jimmy Carter received his treatment the folks at Mayo were able to get it for my friend. He responded to it very well. He felt much better and had a very good recovery. They told him that if the cancer didn't come back in 7 or 8 years he was probably home free. For the first few years he had exams every 3 months and then every 6 months. Then they reduced his exams to once a year. Four or five years of annual exams went by without the cancer recurring. At the 7 year mark they told to come back in five years. He'll be on that schedule for the rest of his life.

He's pretty happy with how it turned out.

I have two other friends who received treatments at Mayo Phoenix for different types of cancer and are equally pleased with their results. The first Mayo facility in Arizona was a clinic in Scottsdale (about 2 miles from my house!). It's a good sized facility. When it came time to build a hospital they built it 10 miles away in Phoenix on a large plot of land. They keep expanding the hospital and recently started a medical research park next to it.

So if you live near Jacksonville or Phoenix you can get Mayo quality treatment that is a little closer to home. This might be a good option for people who can't get to Rochester easily or frequently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom