Medical Gradian Alert System

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
About 2 years ago my neighbor asked me if I could be a contact number for him. He wears a necklace with the notification system and has it at all times. I talk to him a couple times a week and starting to see him less all the time.

Anyway, last night just after mid-night we got a call for emergency alert at his home. It was the first time it has happened and almost forgot I was a contact person to go in and help. My wife went over to their home but didn't go in waiting for me. I finally got there, and the ambulance was coming so they said they would take care of it.

They weren't there long so I was hoping it wasn't something to major. I called him today and he was very apologetic that he had to use the unit. He had fallen and needed help getting up.

One thing that is scary about the whole thing is entering a home even though you are allowed too and are one of the people that can go in if you get that call.

He has a wife but is just about deaf and someone coming into a home at that time of night a person could get shot. By not knowing what is really going on. Also, they have a 40 plus year old son that is there often and entering a home like that, he might not know what is going on also.

The whole process is a wonderful thing but when you think about it things could go south in a hurry.

Anyone else familiar with the system and have one or have loved ones with them.

I purchased my mom a system like this a few years ago and she was upset/mad at me (because she’s always been a very independent woman and was appalled I’d buy it for her)… she died a year later.

I think these technologies are great. My Apple Watch will notify my wife if I fall (and her watch will notify me if she falls).

They weren't there long so I was hoping it wasn't something to major. I called him today and he was very apologetic that he had to use the unit. He had fallen and needed help getting up.

Perhaps arrange a Safe Word with this person - and his other family household members - that you all can agree to shout upon entry. Announcing yourself this way as you enter the home and each room until you find him should ensure they know you're Street and not getting shot.

And find out where the main lights are turned on so you can do that as soon as you enter.

Either that, or your role is simply to call for services vs. come in the house, if it happens again.

OP - It seems it could be quite a dangerous situation, going over especially at night.

Even shouting out your name, may not work.

There are fall alert devices where a person can talk to the operator, or this neighbor needs to carry a cell phone as well.

Where was his wife during all this action ? Seems she needs to wear hearing aids to hear him call out.

It is a situation that could go bad quickly, I agree.
Is the son too far away to be the first contact person? It makes sense he could make a decision, have them call 911 or contact you as #2 contact in case of a fall. However if his wife is deaf, that could be a very frightening situation for her to have someone walk into their home if she is unaware.
A safe word might help, but not if wife is deaf.

Thanks for the advice and it was something that never really entered my mind till it actually had to try to enter a home especially at that time of the night.

The son lives lose could be there in 20 minutes or so. he sometimes stays there so I never know when. It is a big four level home, and I will visit with him someday soon.

What makes you think they have a gun in the house and that elderly deaf lady knows how to use it? More conversation is needed.

I would have thought you might call first on the way over as well. IDK if the wife can get visual or vibrating alerts on a phone? Do they have a doorbell that flashes she could see?

Last edited:
What makes you think they have a gun in the house and that elderly deaf lady knows how to use it? More conversation is needed.

I would have thought you might call first on the way over as well. IDK if the wife can get visual or vibrating alerts on a phone? Do they have a doorbell that flashes she could see?

I our area of rural life and the western culture everyone has guns that is a given. Just about everyone hunts so that is the primary reason people here have guns.

Good points about if I would need to go help him a call and a load arrival is a must.

I just never thought about it before until now. If ever I have to do it again, I have thought out better and how I would approuch it now.

I our area of rural life and the western culture everyone has guns that is a given. Just about everyone hunts so that is the primary reason people here have guns.

Good points about if I would need to go help him a call and a load arrival is a must.

I just never thought about it before until now. If ever I have to do it again, I have thought out better and how I would approuch it now.

You made it through this one and now you can be more ready if it happens again. It is always easier to think after the fact! Do you have a cell number for the son too?

We had the police visit our home, while away on vacation, as the alarm went off.

I noticed on the camera's they pounded on the door a couple of times to announce they were going to enter.

I'd suggest, at least doing that as well, pound on the door and wait a minute, will remove the surprise entrance factor for part of the time.

Still dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom