Medicare Part B for 2022

...going on Medicare is going to be a big sticker shock to some people.

DW isn't of Medicare age yet. She pays $1200 a month for HCI. She'll be thrilled to pay Medicare plus a supplement.

You're right. Enjoy your ACA coverage as long as you can. I had to switch from ACA to Medicare two years ago. Medicare is more expensive and not as good (for me). I'm assuming your ACA is heavily subsidized, as was mine. Of course there are folks who are being totally ripped off by the ACA, if their earnings are high enough.

Medicare is great as long as you have a supplement and NOT a Part C. No restrictions as far as I have found after 3 years on it, 3 operations later. Just wish they included some Dental. (Fingers Crossed) Part C (Heavily Advertised MA) in our area is a lot worse than what DW has on ACA. I did look into it this year but decided to stick with AARP United HC Part G. Some areas are better, some worse.

Last edited:
Medigap plan, we called our SS office and she said a part d irmaa payment is due regardless. We will file appeal.

Why not sign up for an inexpensive Part D plan? There is a penalty each year you don’t sign up. Plus if she needs one she’d have to wait for the next open enrollment.

DW just received SS statement today, reflecting new benefit, new part b premium, part b IRMAA surcharge, and a part d IRMAA surcharge. She is not enrolled in part d, is this a mistake?

Only if she can't be certain she won't require some expensive prescription in the next year. IOW, Yes, it's probably a mistake. If she does not need expensive prescriptions currently, sign up for one of the less expensive plans so she has some protection in the event of an unexpected need for meds. I had one that charged about $8 a month for years. It helped me sleep better.

Why not sign up for an inexpensive Part D plan? There is a penalty each year you don’t sign up. Plus if she needs one she’d have to wait for the next open enrollment.

She is already signed up for a cheaper prescription plan that come with her medigap plan. While she is not on any super expensive medication, they are not on the cheapo tier on part d.

So the entire raise is going to a higher part b premium. I received the notice today.

I had to have a new insulin pump last year, and my wife's foot surgery required her to get an electric wheelchair--expensive items. Insulin pump supplies run about $9 a day, and they all go on Plan B.

We switched to Plan F 13 mos. ago and that plan covers Plan B's deductibles. And thankfully Trump pushed Big Pharma to provide insulin @ $35 a month on Plan D--down from $168 monthly (my cost) on Plan B.

And under Plan F, we paid almost nothing out of pocket for anything. (But we paid around $384 monthly for Plan F for us both.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom