Microsoft .NET Browser Add-On

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My AVAST antivirus keeps identifying the above-titled add-on as a bad add-on, and tries to remove it. However, when I check "Uninstall" on my PC, MS .NET is still there, and it's huge - 28 Mb. I can uninstall it, but next day it's back again. Anybody else having this experience?

Amethyst

Firefox

It's not there (AVAST must have removed it). The issue is that the program keeps installing on my PC, not just in the browser,so I have to manually uninstall each time. I guess no one else has this problem?

A.

Apparently a pesky problem. FF support refers to MS. Their instructions How to remove the .NET Framework Assistant for Firefox

Method 1: Download the Update to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 for Firefox

This update installs the .NET Framework Assistant on a per-user basis. As a result, the Uninstall button will be functional in the Firefox Add-ons menu.

Note This update is included in Windows 7 and in the .NET Framework 4.0.

To download the Update to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 for Firefox, visit the following Microsoft Web site:Download Update to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 for Firefox from Official Microsoft Download Center

Last edited:
It uninstalls easily, but keeps coming back, like a guy who won't get the message. Every time I restart, it asks me if I want to install it. There is no "No" button, so I just delete the pop-up. And, just like the guy who won't leave a gal alone, there it is again.

Amethyst

It uninstalls easily, but keeps coming back, like a guy who won't get the message. Every time I restart, it asks me if I want to install it. There is no "No" button, so I just delete the pop-up. And, just like the guy who won't leave a gal alone, there it is again.
I see this also, with Vista and Firefox. Come to think of it, XP also. I'll check on that one later today.

I would try disabling the addon. It was definitely installed by M$FT for some reason or other.

From what little I just read, it seems that following all the steps on some sites might knock something else out of wack. Just put up with annoyance until something comes along with a simple remove.

Back
Top Bottom