More people are working in their 80s

No -I don't believe that people are "irrelevant."

Most of the people referenced in the article seemed to be enjoying their careers, so good for them. I don't have an issue with "mature" persons working, if they are capable and enjoying their work; and don't have an issue with properly prepared people retiring early.

Last edited:
The article mentions having "a sense of purpose". I think that is key to life in general.

If you find your purpose through your work, great. Keep at it.
If it is via what you do in your personal life and into retirement, still great.
The important aspect to me, is do what makes you happy. And pays the bills!

I haven’t retired yet, but I long to be irrelevant!

I can not even imagine working in my 80's.

I'm 75 and can't even imagine working in my 70's! What a miserable life that would have been for someone like me. I think I have finally "found my niche in life".... being a retiree is everything I have always wanted. No work, nobody ragging on me, sleep late every day, do whatever appeals to me... yeah, that's what I wanted in high school and that's what I still want and enjoy in retirement.

It's good to have options. Those who want to work to feel relevant can do so. I personally could not care less about being irrelevant or "having a purpose". I have never enjoyed any job I have ever had and don't want to work a second longer than I have a financial need to do so. I want my time to be spend in a way of my choosing even if that is just sitting on the couch "surfing" or watching TV. I don't need to "have a purpose". YMMV

Probably more people living in their 80s as well

These people can do what they want, regardless of whether anyone has a problem with it. I just recently became unemployed, and I don't tie my relevancy to my job. I'm in my 50's and don't really want to work, so I can't imagine working much longer like those people. But good for them if that's what they want.

I think many, at least the folks in the article, have a need to be recognized and they aren't getting it elsewhere in their lives, so they continue working, able to make a contribution and get recognition from clients, colleagues, or others...minimally a paycheck that puts some value on their contributions. Me, I have no need to be recognized. My self worth is a function of how I value what I do day to day, not what others believe.

There was a time when I did need to go get out of the house, make the commute in to the office, and spend the day working. There I'd get to socialize and get my recognition. I did have a need for the recognition, getting a higher salary and bigger bonus, because that was feedback and showed how much my contributions were valued. Today, I no longer have those needs. I'm perfectly fine at home, alone or with DW, doing my own thing or something together. I get value out of using my time how I feel it will produce the greatest value for me, and it doesn't need to be monetary any longer. I have a small circle of friends I get together with periodically and am able to visit with family any time I like. All of my personal needs are being met without the job.

Do you have the fear of becoming irrelevant?

What exactly does that even mean? Irrelevant in what respect, or relative to what or to whom? I am relevant to my DW, my friends, and my family whether I'm w**king or not, but I'm completely irrelevant to just about everyone else... and that is perfectly fine and normal. Whether or not one is retired has no impact on one's ultimate relevance. Also, I learned long ago that no matter how "relevant" or "important" or "crucial" any individual feels with respect to their job, industry, or a particular company, they are almost always far less important than they imagine.

Yeah, I saw that, too. I don't get people who have accumulated more than they'll ever need and keep working -my own brother was pulling in over $1 million/year as the tax partner in a large firm and still worked till he hit the mandatory retirement age of 60. (I should add that he adjusted well- bought a house with an indoor pool in FL, golfs a lot and he and DSIL spend a lot of time with their grandchildren.)

It's good to see people enjoying their 70s and 80s, whether they're continuing in their careers or off doing something else, but I'm in the latter camp- traveling, gardening, spoiling my grandchildren, not having to count vacation days or set an alarm 5 days a week. There's plenty to learn and do outside of my former field- I've studied theology, I preach a sermon at church every couple of months, I maintain fluency in French and German and I read extensively on the history of the places I travel. I have more volunteer opportunities than I can handle but have learned to say No to some.

I'm 70 now and there's no going back. :)

Last edited:
My stepmom worked until 88 or 89 - teaching nursing. She was a PhD nurse educator. USD forced her to retire at 75 and another university picked her up immediately to teach nursing statistics and be a grad student advisor. She quit around age 84 when they changed to software package used by the students/teachers to access grades/syllibus/etc... because she didn't like the new system... and then decided she could deal with it because she missed teaching. She tried to quit the next year because she no longer felt comfortable driving at night for evening classes, and they worked with her to arrange transpo to/from.

It may have been genetic - this need to work extra long. Her brother was one of the founders of UCSD medical school and was still doing rounds in his late 80's... maybe even 90.

Both were lucid till the end... so that's good.

My stepmom worked until 88 or 89 - teaching nursing. She was a PhD nurse educator. USD forced her to retire at 75 and another university picked her up immediately to teach nursing statistics and be a grad student advisor. She quit around age 84 when they changed to software package used by the students/teachers to access grades/syllibus/etc... because she didn't like the new system... and then decided she could deal with it because she missed teaching. She tried to quit the next year because she no longer felt comfortable driving at night for evening classes, and they worked with her to arrange transpo to/from.

It may have been genetic - this need to work extra long. Her brother was one of the founders of UCSD medical school and was still doing rounds in his late 80's... maybe even 90.

Both were lucid till the end... so that's good.

I kinda feel the same way. I like the freedom of not having to be at a certain place at a certain time five days a week. But I spent 30+ years honing my craft of journalism, and keeping a hand in it helps to keep my mind relatively sharp (that's the impression I get from inside my head, anyway).
I did 10 years of freelance work after I hung up the day job, and since that dried up I've begun volunteering at a local community radio station. It's just fun. I spent my working life having fun. Why give that up?

I do the same thing on Internet forums. Express myself, seek knowledge, try to make sense. That was my career, more or less.

I can not even imagine working in my 80's.

I'm 75 and can't even imagine working in my 70's! What a miserable life that would have been for someone like me. I think I have finally "found my niche in life".... being a retiree is everything I have always wanted. No work, nobody ragging on me, sleep late every day, do whatever appeals to me... yeah, that's what I wanted in high school and that's what I still want and enjoy in retirement.

It's multi-generational: https://nypost.com/2023/05/29/bed-rotting-is-the-newest-hot-self-care-trend-for-lazy-gen-zers/

I kinda feel the same way. I like the freedom of not having to be at a certain place at a certain time five days a week. But I spent 30+ years honing my craft of journalism, and keeping a hand in it helps to keep my mind relatively sharp (that's the impression I get from inside my head, anyway).
I did 10 years of freelance work after I hung up the day job, and since that dried up I've begun volunteering at a local community radio station. It's just fun. I spent my working life having fun. Why give that up?

This is closer to my situation. I've been teaching >40 years and still enjoy it. The harder part now is finding motivated learners.

Like many, I always question myself for taking on the w*rk, but appreciate the experience afterwards. I would not do it if someone else controlled my schedule.

I started my career late because of having kids then going to college and then needing a graduate degree to work in my field. I really enjoyed it but didn’t enjoy the state bureaucracy. Right after I retired I was offered the opportunity to teach at the University and I loved it and did it for 8 years.

Now 69 in a few weeks I am back to testing clients but only get 1-2 referrals a month. My preference would be one a week. But the clients are only referred when they get hurt at work so wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

I loved my career, but would not even think of going back to work. Got a lot of ego satisfied during work, but don't miss it one bit.

I think it also depend on career specifics. You may feel more relevant in CEO or CFO role. In the article, there is a chart of occupations where people may work longer. I just cannot see myself working into 80s as a software engineer and not really sure how relevant I'm now in my 50s in this role :)

If you have a real butt kick'n intellectual or physical job you're not going to last to your 80s. On the other hand if you got a slack union protected job who's going to fire you?

I've never had a job that I enjoyed half as much as retirement. I'm FI so why would I even think about working.

I can see being & feeling relevant while working, but roles do change as you go through life.

I am 67, retired for 8 years now, a road accident, disability & health issues in part lead me to hang it up. I am a physician & had a busy practice but life had other plans for me.

I am reasonably happy now being a Volunteer Doc at a Free Clinic among other volunteer activities.
At this stage of the game being financially independent I did not have to seek paid work. We travel, spoil 3 grand kids & spend time with family & friends.

When I was working in high tech, there was certainly a sense of "Heck, they paid me alot of money to do email, go to meetings, put together presentation foils every now and again and flew me everywhere on Business class." Sense of importance? Maybe, but I was getting a migraine headache towards the end of the week, and it went away when Monday restarted as adrenalin suppressed the pain. I was also working 7 days a week, mainly on emails, reports and presentation stuff on the weekends. I miss the money but don't miss the headaches. I am so glad to be retired.

Back
Top Bottom