Most spent on cars?

What the max you've spent to purchase a daily driver vehicle?

• $0 -$19,999

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • $20,000 - $29,999

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • $30,000 - $39,999

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • $40,000 - $49,999

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • $50,000 - $59,999

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • $60,000 - $69,999

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • $70,000 plus

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would say based on the responses here, that there are very few car guys posting in this thread. I have probably spent more on cars over the years than houses. Just not kept them as long. :) Cars are one of the better things in life for me and I have not regretted one penny of what I spent on them in my 45 years as a driver.

OP here again. Kinda the point of the whole thread as to what importance owning a more expensive car has to folks. Note that the original poll and thread (it is about 2.5 years old) only included daily drivers (not count RVs, collectible, special purpose, or hobby vehicles). I've a friend that has a Corvette, Porsche SUV, and a minivan. His daily driver is the minivan as the most practical, the Corvette is most definitely his garage queen, not sure why the Porsche SUV. Suspect the Porsche was to be the daily driver but the minivan practicality wins out.

I knew I was an outlier ( it took until 2018 to break $20K) as sometime in my 30s the car morphed into an appliance and I felt foolish spending money when it could be better used for funding early retirement. Even though I can now afford more, it carries little importance, my joy came from raising my sons and participating in their activities while enjoying early retirement. Soccer Dad with minivan (all five bought used, all bought less than 2 years old).

Last edited:
$25,000 over a decade ago for a loaded...Dodge minivan. :)

In the future will be leasing...probably whatever crossover with the best incentives.

Most I have paid was for a brand new 2013 for Ford Explorer Limited at hair under $40,000. I would never do that again! Next most I have ever paid is $24,000 for 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee which I just bought last month. I just don't like the new cars any more. I fix my own cars so old cars don't scare me. I have yet to buy an old car which is a money pit. Most used cars I have bought had at least one problem which was lied (by resetting ECM, hiding, etc.) but nothing terrible to fix. I now scan every car for "EMISSION Ready" status before I buy them. I have a really good OBD2 reader (https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diagnostic-Functions-including-MaxiCheck/dp/B0744B55QV/) which can read faults from every system in the car. I also look at every car's engine top and bottom for leaks.

Just spent ~100k on a Jeep. (well I think the window sticker was only 98k, but well over 100k after TTL)

got a picture?
Actually I don't have a good picture of the Jeep to post just yet, but if you are a "car guy" this is probably what you wanted to see anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_0049 (2).jpg
    IMG_0049 (2).jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Is that the new supercharger?
Well yes for the Jeep. It's the same type engine/supercharger they have put in the Hellcats for a few years but this year it's available in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's 6.2L (V8 for REWahoo :)) 707 HP.

Last edited:
$32k for my 2016 Nissan Maxima. Not practical, love the interior, comfortable seats, 300hp. I seriously considered a Honda Fit or Insight. With the people doing 70-80mph on the highways though, something slower just wasn't going to cut it.

What a shame. It looks like a perfectly good engine.

Note: The above comment, like the one you responded to, is a joke.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Maybe he didn't read/catch all the recent comments above....

What's nice about this "blown engine" is how driveable it is. If you didn't know what to listen for you'd probably not even notice the supercharger sounds. Very well muffled. Even the exhaust is pretty quite, until you put your foot in it and then it will wake the dead. If you can read my avatar you'll see in the display on the right my best 0-60 time so far. The 0-60 time on the left was done with about half throttle.

In another thread we talked about all the gee-whiz things on our new cars. Well this one has something I'd never seen before. Automatic software updates! I think Tesla and a few others are starting to do this too. With all the computer driven options on cars today, you just know they are going to come out with occasional updates/fixes/enhancements. (which are usually updated by the dealer when you take it in for service) Well the other day I got a pop up on my infotainment system saying that new updates are ready to be loaded. "Holly Microsoft Batman". At least it asked if I wanted the updates to loaded and gave me an option to pick the time. OK, I set it to update for later that evening. The next morning it told me the updates were successful. (Actually I think it only takes about 20 mis to do do the updates and you can keep driving if you want to :nonono:) None of my customizations were changed and I have noticed some enhancements to existing apps. (all done VIA the cellular network) At first I wasn't excited about getting the updates that way "but" the way they did it (asking first and allowing me to schedule it) worked great. I did some reading "after the fact" and found they are spending a great deal of time and money on pen testing of the system. (Hacker avoidance) I hope they do a better job than Microsoft since that could get scary in a car.

Last edited:
Had a boss who prided himself on an old Honda with over 500k miles on it. Got in a wreck and almost had a permanent retirement. My family and I spend so much time in car that I want safety and reliability. Thankfully I can afford it while still saving for ER. Acura or Audi every 3 years. I have a old Ford F-150 that I drive to the store when I want to feel frugal.

Actually I don't have a good picture of the Jeep to post just yet, but if you are a "car guy" this is probably what you wanted to see anyway.

Now you just need a blower cam, LTs and a tune and you'll really be haulin. I recommend Frankenstein Engine Dynamics in Weatherford, TX.

With the people doing 70-80mph on the highways though, something slower just wasn't going to cut it.

I'm starting to feel like I need something faster to drive. Non-turbo 4 Subaru with an automatic isn't cutting it.

I learn something everyday. Did not know one could spend $100,000 on a Jeep.

I was so surprised that I went and looked it up. My local dealer has two in stock.

While I'm ready for more horsepower than 175, 300 should be plenty;).

Now you just need a blower cam, LTs and a tune and you'll really be haulin. I recommend Frankenstein Engine Dynamics in Weatherford, TX.
If you have read any of my post about cars, you'll know I usually don't mod my vehicles. I really like to keep them stock to the extent reasonably possible, even my collectables. Good thing about that on a new one is I get to keep a 5 year 60k mile power train warranty on a 707hp vehicle.

Last edited:
I posted on this a year ago and then my vote was $20-30K. At the time, we had spent in the mid 20's a couple times for the family vehicle (minivan or crossover) and a year before that a little over $20K for the first time for my work commuter. Now, RE for a year, we sold both of those to consolidate to a new Honda CRV @$32K. First time to break 30. Since it is only one car now we spent a little more.

I'm starting to feel like I need something faster to drive. Non-turbo 4 Subaru with an automatic isn't cutting it.

Our 2016 4 cylinder Outback with CVT is plenty quick and fast enough to keep pace with 70-80 mph traffic. In fact, it's ride is so nice I sometimes find myself going a lot faster than I want. When we first bought it, it was replacing a Legacy GT which was very quick so I was skeptical that I would like the non-turbo 4-cyl... but it has been fine albeit not near as fun as the Legacy GT, but much easier to get into and out of.

New Subaru Ascent will have a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine.
Will be interesting to see if other models get that same engine.

If you have read any of my post about cars, you'll know I usually don't mod my vehicles. I really like to keep them stock to the extent reasonably possible, even my collectables. Good thing about that on a new one is I get to keep a 5 year 60k mile power train warranty on a 707hp vehicle.

I've probably read most of your posts, but do not recall what your proclivity is toward modding or remaining stock. Its your car, so always do what makes you happy. As for manufacturers warranties, it would scare the hell out of me bringing my car to the dealer for a serious repair, so I don't let that deter me. Improving on what the car company delivered is something I personally enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom