Must I pay a Medicare premium?

Medicare confirmed, by phone, that we do not have to apply, Part A or B. This is from the Medicare.gov website:

I have employer coverage and:

I'm turning 65 Ask your employer or union benefits administrator if they require you to sign up for Medicare if both of these apply:

• You (or your spouse) are currently working.
  • You're covered by an employer or union group health plan based on that employment.
If the employer doesn't require you to sign up for Medicare right away, you can sign up later during a Special Enrollment Period without a late enrollment penalty.

Medicare confirmed, by phone, that we do not have to apply, Part A or B. This is from the Medicare.gov website:

I have employer coverage and:

I'm turning 65 Ask your employer or union benefits administrator if they require you to sign up for Medicare if both of these apply:

• You (or your spouse) are currently working.
  • You're covered by an employer or union group health plan based on that employment.
If the employer doesn't require you to sign up for Medicare right away, you can sign up later during a Special Enrollment Period without a late enrollment penalty.

Exactly. And that's what I did. DId not sign up when I hit 65. Then, after my wife retired, I signed up for Parts A and B with no late enrollment penalty.

I can't understand why there is any doubt about this.

You WILL be automatically enrolled in Part A and you do not have a choice.
Only those already receiving SS or railroad benefits are automatically enrolled in Part A (and B). POMS distinguishes between delaying Medicare and rejecting your rights to Medicare.

Individuals already receiving Social Security or RRB benefits at least 4 months before being eligible for Medicare and residing in the United States (except residents of Puerto Rico) are automatically enrolled in both premium-free Part A and Part B. People living in Puerto Rico who are eligible for automatic enrollment are only enrolled in premium-free Part A.

Individuals who are not receiving a Social Security or RRB benefit are not automatically enrolled. These individuals must apply by contacting Social Security.

Reference: https://www.cms.gov/medicare/eligibility-and-enrollment/origmedicarepartabeligenrol/
HI 00805.277 Processing SEP Enrollments
A. Determining effective date of special enrollment period (SEP) enrollment requests for supplementary medical insurance (SMI) and hospital insurance (HI)

c. Beneficiary filing for monthly benefits or HI

Mr. Adell, who attained age 65 in February 2012, has coverage under a GHP based on his own employment since 1998. In October 2014, he files an application for monthly benefits and HI because he plans to retire at the end of that calendar year.

Reference: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/060080527

Exactly. And that's what I did. DId not sign up when I hit 65. Then, after my wife retired, I signed up for Parts A and B with no late enrollment penalty.

I can't understand why there is any doubt about this.
I don't have doubt, but I was confused. There is tension caused by the vast amount of information written about Medicare. So it takes a while for someone who has not gone through the gates to understand and verify.

I prefer not to pay for this if possible. But other factors play into my possible action, such as spouse employer policy. It is possible, I think, that they require me to sign up. I will find out soon.

While there may be no "penalty", there may be a hidden cost adder for those collecting SS. In 2015 the Medicare premium Part B was $104.90. In 2016 the premium was $121.80. In 2017 the premium is 134/mo. That applies for anyone applying for Medicare in those years. The latter is a 27+% increase over the two years. Because of the SS Hold Harmless rules, those who entered Medicare in 2015 and were collecting SS, they paid the same $104.90 in 2016. And in 2017 premium for them was increased by up to 0.3% of the SS amount higher.

Choosing when to apply is a mathematics game that has to take into account many other factors.

Back
Top Bottom