Need Chef Knife for Travel .........

Cut-Throat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When we rent places around the world, often times we find that the Rental Place has poor quality Knives.... Looking for a Chef Knife with a travel Case that I can take with me... Around $50 give or take. Any Recommendations?

Be sure to put that in checked baggage, and not your carry on. :)

Attachments

• knives.JPG
    knives.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
When we rent places around the world, often times we find that the Rental Place has poor quality Knives.... Looking for a Chef Knife with a travel Case that I can take with me... Around $50 give or take. Any Recommendations?

Why don't you just get a case for your current knife?

We bought a set of these at Bed Bath and Beyond for traveling and picnics. I wanted something portable with a sheath that could be stored in a bag or cooler without worrying about getting cut fishing around the bottom. Only $15.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/zyliss-reg-3-piece-knife-set/1061069794?keyword=knife

I would second something like this. Cheap enough that you don't care what happens to them, but easily much sharper than what I've typically found in a rental. When we drive to a condo near my brother in Florida, I just wrapped my knives in a towel with some rubber bands to secure it. That worked fine, but if I was flying, I'd like the cheaper alternative just in case they get lost of confiscated . . .

We regularly road trip with a knife rolled in a thick dishtowel. Bonus: make shift cutting board, dishrag etc when we need one in a pincg

Many chefs carry their knives with them for the same reason you have. Any professional chef outlet will have roll-up cases that will not limit you to just one knife. Ten bucks and up here: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/knife-case.html

Then you can take your favorite knives from home and not have to buy any at all.

We bought a set of these at Bed Bath and Beyond for traveling and picnics. I wanted something portable with a sheath that could be stored in a bag or cooler without worrying about getting cut fishing around the bottom. Only $15.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/zyliss-reg-3-piece-knife-set/1061069794?keyword=knife

Sounds like what I need -- Thanks !

I have been bringing my Wusthof Knives along in a rolled up Wusthof Case. and then into a PVC 4 inch diameter Pipe. But it was kind of heavy and I am downsizing in the Travel Dept.

I don't think they even allow a small paring knife with the passengers.

Last edited:
Since most places I've stayed have at least some kind of crappy chef's knife, you could just carry a small knife sharpener.

Since most places I've stayed have at least some kind of crappy chef's knife, you could just carry a small knife sharpener.

Good Idea ! -- I'll bring one.... Sometimes the knives are so poor that they defy sharpening, but it's worth a try.

Last edited:
DW and I got a really cheap 8"ceramic knife from Walmart for our travels. It's about 4 years old, but is about 11 months old ( in cutting use days.) We also travel with the flimsy plastic cutting boards, packed in our small collapsible cooler.

I've also been trying to figure out the best travel knife 'set', or a case for my older Wusthof knives. I've looked at the chef's 'roll' storage, but am not too impressed. Any better ideas out there?

I like the idea of a sharpener. I have a 400/1000 wet stone. I’m pretty sure I can get anything sharp with that. Just not sure how much time I want to spend on it while paying someone else to live there.

If you're flying somewhere for 3 months, don't they sell decent knives there that would be suitable for cutting food? You could even order them online to be delivered to your destination before you leave.
Transporting them in luggage would be problematic in some countries regardless of whether they are checked or not. I've had to sacrifice perfectly good fishing tackle and things that cut at foreign customs checkpoints, despite our U.S. rules that say otherwise.

I've also been trying to figure out the best travel knife 'set', or a case for my older Wusthof knives. I've looked at the chef's 'roll' storage, but am not too impressed. Any better ideas out there?

Just take a towel and roll them up. Use an old bath towel and either don’t worry about the size or cut it to size. Then you can wrap each knife as you roll it. Rubber bands to close it. I found dish towels to be too small for more than one or two knives.

If you're flying somewhere for 3 months, don't they sell decent knives there that would be suitable for cutting food? You could even order them online to be delivered to your destination before you leave.
Transporting them in luggage would be problematic in some countries regardless of whether they are checked or not. I've had to sacrifice perfectly good fishing tackle and things that cut at foreign customs checkpoints, despite our U.S. rules that say otherwise.

I can't count on being able to buy anything when we go to remote destinations in foreign countries..Getting things delivered on-line is a nogo, as it can sit in customs for months. And a lot of Foreign countries do not have mail service like you're used to in the U.S.

I've traveled all over the World with fishing equipment and never had anything questioned in checked luggage.

Which country did you have a problem with? And what gear specifically did they not like?

Last edited:

I have three friends who are professional chefs and they all use roll-up storage for their knives (and won't travel without them), so there must be something to it.

A knife guard holds on tight. Would make packing easier, imo.

I did have a roll-up for my wusthof knives in the motorhome. It was large. Ended up using individual knife guards and left the knives in a drawer.

I travel with wine bottle opener, couple of vacuum stoppers and a champagne stopper!

Last edited:
I can't count on being able to buy anything when we go to remote destinations in foreign countries..Getting things delivered on-line is a nogo, as it can sit in customs for months. And a lot of Foreign countries do not have mail service like you're used to in the U.S.

I've traveled all over the World with fishing equipment and never had anything questioned in checked luggage.

Which country did you have a problem with? And what gear specifically did they not like?

There could be an issue in Spain high speed trains that X-ray your luggage.

Back
Top Bottom