Netflix Hidden Gems

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Have you found a hidden gem of a movie, TV series, documentary or other video on Netflix? I am talking about the lessor and least known shows, many of them a decade or more older. Often we may have missed them for various reasons. Maybe TV watching was not high on our list when we worked. Perhaps the show was made in a foreign country and not readily available. Or show once on PBS and never again.

Please include shows on streaming and DVD.

My contribution is the British series made in the 80's called Enemy at the Door. It tells the story of the German invasion of the Channel Islands between France and England. It's quite well balanced. The Germans are not all blood thirsty killers. And some of the Islanders are nasty rascals who illicitly profit from their neighbor's misery.

The production quality is not as good as modern shows, a bit like the old TV soap operas. But, I find the characters and the stories interesting. Interestingly, we find John Nettles has a short part as a British policeman on the island. A precursor to his role as Inspector Barnaby, no doubt.

It is only available on DVD.

"Adrift in Tokyo" Subtitled in English... awesomely funny/sad. Very off-beat...really cool flick.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed "IP Man." Pretty good story and great fighting. Not crazy about the sequels though.

Chuckanut, this sounds very similar to a show we found. We recently enjoyed Island at War on Netflix streaming. It has many of the popular British actors that are on other shows. I think it was made in 2004 and it centers on the Nazi invasion of the Channel Islands. I wonder if it could be a remake? My husband and I both enjoyed it. He likes military shows and I'm more interested in the people stories.

We liked The Fall with Gillian Anderson. She is a detective following a serial killer. It's very good, but not for the faint of heart. It's not so much that it is graphic, but it is very suspenseful. Its much different that most of the serial killer/detective stories. It was made by Netflix.

I liked The Returned, which is a subtitled French movie. It's really good. I think this must be where they got the idea for the American tv series Resurrection, but it is MUCH better.

On Amazon Prime, we discovered Lark Rise to Candleford. It's like a British Little House on the Prairie.

Chuckanut, this sounds very similar to a show we found. We recently enjoyed Island at War on Netflix streaming. It has many of the popular British actors that are on other shows. I think it was made in 2004 and it centers on the Nazi invasion of the Channel Islands. I wonder if it could be a remake? My husband and I both enjoyed it. He likes military shows and I'm more interested in the people stories.

Island at war is a more modern version of Enemy at the Door, and also very good, IMHO. The island in Island at War is a made up name and does not exist, but the story line is great. Until I saw these shows I did not realize how close Germany came to invading the British Isles.

There's a thread "Netflix movie suggestion" that has many gems.

Back
Top Bottom