Netflix

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The media is full of stories about a consumer survey regarding Netflix. Suppposedly consumers rated Netflix below other streaming services because they don't have many of the current movies.

I don't understand this. I think it is short sighted to look only at the streaming service and not the entire package. Sort of like buying a care soley because it has a 6 speed automatic transmission and not paying much attention to the engine, passenger comfort, trunk capacity, etc.

One can combine Netflix unlimted streaming with its one disk at a time service for about $18 a month. There are a load of great TV shows, documentaries, foreign films, etc on Netlfix streaming. The British TV series are worth the cost alone, IMHO. Using the one disk at a time service, one can rent 4-8 movies a month, depending upon how quickly one watches the moview.

My point is that when one combines disks and streaming, Netflix has a huge library of material that nobody else can duplicate at this cost.

No. I don't have any interest in Netflix, other than being a customerl

I read the survey -- which is on Consumer Reports if you are a subscriber.

The streaming services that "beat" Netflix are the Pay per view services: Itunes, Amazon Instant Video, and Vudu (which I haven't heard of).

So, yes, you can get better movie selection if you individually pay to watch the movie instead of paying a monthly subscription where you can watch anything.

Personally, I have available Netflix (with a 1 disc a month option), Hulu Plus (great for TV series, but has ads so will watch on Netflix if Netflix has it) and Amazon Prime (comes with my subscription but rarely watch it as usually Netflix will have it if Amazon has it).

I have Netflix and it keeps me pretty busy. They carry a few first line movies (Thor was the latest) but I know I can rent individual movies from Amazon. Currently watching Warehouse 13. Very good writing.

The media is full of stories about a consumer survey regarding Netflix. Suppposedly consumers rated Netflix below other streaming services because they don't have many of the current movies.

I don't understand this. I think it is short sighted to look only at the streaming service and not the entire package. Sort of like buying a care soley because it has a 6 speed automatic transmission and not paying much attention to the engine, passenger comfort, trunk capacity, etc.

One can combine Netflix unlimted streaming with its one disk at a time service for about $18 a month. There are a load of great TV shows, documentaries, foreign films, etc on Netlfix streaming. The British TV series are worth the cost alone, IMHO. Using the one disk at a time service, one can rent 4-8 movies a month, depending upon how quickly one watches the moview.

My point is that when one combines disks and streaming, Netflix has a huge library of material that nobody else can duplicate at this cost.

No. I don't have any interest in Netflix, other than being a customerl

I did not read the survey, nor am I a subscriber to Netflix...

But, IMO, you are looking at something that is NOT streaming... it is streaming 'plus'... I would rather have the best streaming service without having to deal with movies on disks.... and if I had to deal with disks, Redbox is cheaper than Netflix... sure, your selection might not be there and there is an advantage to not having to go and get disks...

I have dish and see enough of what I want... I do not think I can spend more time watching TV... so I do not really care...

But, from what I can get from my friend who does have Netflix streaming, he is OK with the limits...

I'm not a movie nut but DW surely is. We have HBO, Cinamax, The Movie Channel, Starz, Encore and had Netflix streaming and disc. Plus you have all the other movie things on cable TV like Turner Classic Movies, etc. It got to be too much (still is) so she got rid of the Netflix disc mailing. Saved $8 per month and we get less mail. She loves the Netflix streaming. Great service for the price.

Last edited:
Netflix streaming allowed me to catch up on lots of movies and TV shows I never would have watched otherwise. Sometimes that's good, sometimes I wasn't missing much. I watch about ten movies a week. That would be too pricey as a per movie rental. With the subscription I only waste some of my time, not money, if I watch a crummy movie. It would cost much more with lots of current release movies, so I'm fine with using DVD rental for those. (I do still own a little Netflix stock.)

We have Netflix and we get three movies at a time that I should change. Kids aren't always around on weekends anymore for movie night. The streaming is a side benefit since we live [-]40 minutes[/-] (forgot they just closed and become an AutoZone), 60 minutes from a real video rental store.

But I use it sometimes with I'm feeling lazy to watch TV shows. I love watching old episodes of Futurama. My oldest son disappears into his room for hours at a time and watches whole series or movies. So, they don't have the latest releases, put it at the top of your queue and it will be there in two days. Beats pay per view. That get's pricy after a while.

I've looked at Netflix streaming content and could not find much. Are there British TV shows or other things I should check out?

BTW, we do take Netflix DVD's (2 per week).

Last edited:
We have Netflix streaming only and are very happy with the service. We also have Amazon Prime, but the available free content (at least for our interests) is pretty sparse and we probably won't renew when our year is up. For recent movies, so far Redbox does the trick; reasonable cost and convenient. There's also a local chain that has used books, dvds, cds, etc and we find the occasional movie or TV series there. We have cable, but none of the premium movie channels. All in all, more stuff on TV than I have time to view and no gripes about access to older and newer content.

I've looked at Netflix streaming content and was not impressed. Are there British TV shows or other things I should check out?

BTW, we do take Netflix DVD's (2 per week).

I have Netflix streaming only. I watch many British TV shows, both drama and comedy. Last night I finished the last of 3 episodes, starring Daniel Craig, in a drama called Archangel, set in Russia.

I have Netflix streaming only. I watch many British TV shows, both drama and comedy. .
+1

We recently finished Doc Martin, which turned out to be DW's favorite show, even though the accent is an occasional issue when viewing British programming.

Amazon Prime has a few titles Netflix streaming does not, but for the most part Netflix has a far greater library. It also has online title selection and queue management, while when using Amazon you have to scroll through all the titles to find what you want. I have used both, dislike how Netflix treats customers, but cannot see any aspect of Amazon's service as superior, or even equal.

I have Netflix streaming only. I watch many British TV shows, both drama and comedy. Last night I finished the last of 3 episodes, starring Daniel Craig, in a drama called Archangel, set in Russia.
We've not seen Archangel, thanks. We do prefer British acting, they seem to somehow get the language right ... don't know why.

We also love Corgi's.

We've not seen Archangel, thanks. We do prefer British acting, they seem to somehow get the language right ... don't know why.

We also love Corgi's.

I hope you enjoy Archangel.

Corgis? - the cars or the dogs? (Like many Brits I had loads of Corgis as a young lad, including James Bond's car from Goldfinger)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 1
+1

We recently finished Doc Martin, which turned out to be DW's favorite show, even though the accent is an occasional issue when viewing British programming.

If you want to hear just how foreign the english language can sound take a shot at the George Gently mystery series. When he interviews people living in the very north of England, I have to turn on the subtitles to understand what they are saying. My ear can be tuned to the BBC English, but some of the other accents are like listening to Polish.

If you want to hear just how foreign the english language can sound take a shot at the George Gently mystery series. When he interviews people living in the very north of England, I have to turn on the subtitles to understand what they are saying. My ear can be tuned to the BBC English, but some of the other accents are like listening to Polish.

The George Gently series is set in the city of Durham and there are great shots of the castle and cathedral at times. I grew up 12 miles from Durham in the 60's and [-]used to[/-] still sound like Sergent Bacchus.

Also on Netflix is a great series called Kingdom. If you like Doc Martin, I think you'll like Kingdom.

I hope you enjoy Archangel.

Corgis? - the cars or the dogs? (Like many Brits I had loads of Corgis as a young lad, including James Bond's car from Goldfinger)
Haven't seen the car Corgis. I would have wanted those when I was a lad too.

Enjoyed watching the queen's Corgis in last night's Olympic opening where they made a prominent appearance. Rather chubby Corgis too. One link: The Queen's Corgis Stole The Opening Ceremony Show

5 Days might appeal to some people. It is rather dark and somber, but I found it interesting.

Also, the Queen looked rather unhappy at the Olympic ceremonies. I realize at her age any major outing is probably a chore and somewhat uncomfortable. I am wondering if it is normal for the Queen to not smile at these times or..?

5 Days might appeal to some people. It is rather dark and somber, but I found it interesting.

I enjoyed this also. Pity there was only one series available, I would liked to have seen others.

...(snip)...
Also, the Queen looked rather unhappy at the Olympic ceremonies. I realize at her age any major outing is probably a chore and somewhat uncomfortable. I am wondering if it is normal for the Queen to not smile at these times or..?
Some thoughts:
1) That was why the Corgis were in there. They smiled a lot.
2) As I recall she had a nice understated smile when Bond greeted her at the palace.
3) Maybe we Americans expect too many smiles. :) There I go again.

We have netflix $8... on Roku $49.95 one time.

Netflix for Touch of Frost, damages, Downton Abbey.... availability comes and goes.

There must be 25 different British series... many with 100+ episodes.

With Roku, News programs, Music, PC progreams, How to's, Historical, Kids...
There are tens of thoudans of free movies and documentaries out there. Enough for two or three, lifetimes.

I use computer to search Netflix... much easier than the "search".

$8 for netflix, on as many computers or tv's that you have.

IMHO, good deal.

Doc Martin fans here, too. On Netflix streaming we watched Battlestar Gallactica, Walking Dead, Jockeys (very interesting Animal Planet series), and many others. It keeps us busy.

Antennae and Netflix (via mail and streaming) - don't need anything else. I can watch all the shows I missed/missing on TV presently and over the past few years including so many great American and British dramas, detective, and comedy series without commercials. I have almost 480 highly rated selections in my queue to receive through the mail as well that I haven't seen and finding more all the time. I also check into free Hulu on occasion although I have to put up with a few commercials there.

Netflix streaming does have enough tv series to keep me as a subscriber ,for a while, but the movie selections I have seen are all 2nd rate. Not even old classics. And old tv series can be bad, wonder what we will think of today's fare in 15 years.

They do have Ted talks, which are my new bedtime stories. Of course you can get those just online.

Back
Top Bottom