New car options?

Honda has a brand new model SUV that just came into dealerships 2 weeks ago--$20K price tag. It's Civic based, and is going to tear up the SUV retail market.

The new Honda HR-V mini SUV is based on the Honda Fit (smaller than a Civic)

Big discounts.... but I would bet that you could not get one for that price...

There was a dealership here that used to advertise "as low as", but you had to qualify for every rebate possible to get down that low... and nobody did... also, that is a manual... add over $1K to get auto....

But I would agree that they are selling for $13.5K.... still, I would not want one...

Edit to add.... looked at Auto Trader and found more places with the below $12K price (manual)... a couple around here for just over... I mean a few dollars... so it does look like you can get one that cheap...

Last edited:
I'm not sure there is enough credible experience to rate the Fiat one way or another.

It's only been out a few years and they keep improving the line.

I take CR with a grain of salt anyway - my parents used to read that like the Bible and always bought lemons.....

The trick with CR magazine is to read the survey results from the thousands of owners that reply, then you can see trends over the years for a model.
Like are the transmissions lousy year after year ?

Ignore the writer reviews of a car that they test drive, as all cars seem pretty fine for the first week of driving, and it tells you nothing about reliability

Just bought a 2015 Kia Forte for 14k. Getting between 39-42 hwy mpgs. Everyone comments how big it is inside. I am very happy with it. Good warranty, the car feels much more luxurious than the price. I'd recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm not sure there is enough credible experience to rate the Fiat one way or another.
That's not a ringing endorsement.

I take CR with a grain of salt anyway - my parents used to read that like the Bible and always bought lemons.
Many of us had have great experiences applying the CR ratings to our purchasing decisions. I trust them more than even the recommendations of some of my closest friends, who more often than not either favor or revile what they own out of proportion to the items actual advantages or detriments. I love 'em to death but some folks are just too reticent to give a middling review of anything.

Buy what you like best! But take a look at Consumer Reports on reliability.....GM will win hands down over VW and Fiat. I'd also look at safety.....newer cars, like the Cruze will have multiple air bags.....I don't know about the VW but the Fiat is so small, I wouldn't want to be in a bad accident in one of them. Then, think of tire, brake replacement on new vs. used.....and a full warranty....I'd pick the Cruze of the 3 cars.....Now, I wouldn't drive a Cruze, I'd drive an Equinox...size and safety....or a Kia.....high quality & good small cars....so, drive them, evaluate them......since my family has been in two bad accidents....I wasn't in the car either time nor was it my family's fault.....look to which choice is safest......good luck and I believe you save money when you buy a car that you like so much you'll keep it for years.....!

Big discounts.... but I would bet that you could not get one for that price...

yes you can. I was on the lot 6 months ago and they had several under 12K. No negotiation.

If you don't believe me give them a call.

yes you can. I was on the lot 6 months ago and they had several under 12K. No negotiation.

If you don't believe me give them a call.

Not worth it to me....

As I mentioned, it seems to show a possible lowest price under $12K... but like the Hyundai that I showed, they might included recent grad credit, military credit etc. etc... so if you do not qualify for them you do not get them...

I will agree that the price you can buy one is close to $12K before taxes and fees... but I also have found a good number of other vehicles that are similarly priced.... and I would rather own them than a Fiat.... Kia has a couple of models, Hyundai had also.. Chevy has the Spark, Nissan the Versa... lots of options at that price point....

I will agree that the price you can buy one is close to $12K before taxes and fees... but I also have found a good number of other vehicles that are similarly priced.... and I would rather own them than a Fiat.... Kia has a couple of models, Hyundai had also.. Chevy has the Spark, Nissan the Versa... lots of options at that price point....

I actually dig the versa. I rented one a few years ago and it has a crap ton of room. At 6'2" 260 I had no issues whatsoever with regard to leg or head room.

I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. I'm pretty happy with it and can get upper 30's highway unless into a 20 MPH headwind. Lots of space in front and back. But it is not a luxury car. Has a fair amount of wind noise. Both Hyundai and Kia have the best warranties in the business IMHO.

If looking at a Jetta TDI, add in the cost (and inconvenience) of Diesel Exhaust Fluid to your expected fuel costs. I never heard of it until a month ago. I drove a manual transmission one and didn't like the clutch action at all. Under some RPM, the engine control kills the engine and popping the clutch will not restart it.

Not to be a broken record (as I've mentioned this elsewhere in these pages), you might consider a 2005 or older Buick LeSaber or Park Ave. You should be able to pick up a low mileage (if you are not in a hurry) for $5K or $6K. They get 30 on the road (not so much in town, heh, heh.) Budget some repairs (such as electric windows, etc.) You still come out ahead if you have a bit of luck on your side. Very comfortable. Costs little for insurance/tags, etc. Downside is potential reliability. But, there are thousands of used parts available for these cars. The 3.8l V6 is one of the most reliable motors in existence. Good buddy is still driving his 2005 with 265K on the Od. As always (and especially with used cars) YMMV.

If looking at a Jetta TDI, add in the cost (and inconvenience) of Diesel Exhaust Fluid to your expected fuel costs. I never heard of it until a month ago. I drove a manual transmission one and didn't like the clutch action at all. Under some RPM, the engine control kills the engine and popping the clutch will not restart it.

Cost and inconvenience? :confused:

DEF is $12.00 per 2.5 gallons. That much lasted me 11,400 miles in my VW Passat diesel. Inconvenience? Takes all of one minute to pop the filler top in your trunk and pour it in.

Using your numbers, I come up with a total fuel increase of about +4 cents per gallon, including DEF and diesel. Some people are very sensitive about fuel cost per gallon. My inconvenience comment was based on my recent travels across the US. I'm not sure how VW handles it, but with ~ 500 miles left of DEF, the GMC diesel I was in told us it was time to fill the DEF. Wouldn't have been bad except traveling in the western states on a Sunday, we had to find someone that had DEF. It was about 1/2 hour excursion off of the planned route and found it at the 4th location we tried. 2 stations didn't carry it at all, and NAPA was closed. This cost us about 30 miles of planned distance that day. My point is, DEF isn't mainstream, yet. You have to search it out.

Using your numbers, I come up with a total fuel increase of about +4 cents per gallon, including DEF and diesel. Some people are very sensitive about fuel cost per gallon. My inconvenience comment was based on my recent travels across the US. I'm not sure how VW handles it, but with ~ 500 miles left of DEF, the GMC diesel I was in told us it was time to fill the DEF. Wouldn't have been bad except traveling in the western states on a Sunday, we had to find someone that had DEF. It was about 1/2 hour excursion off of the planned route and found it at the 4th location we tried. 2 stations didn't carry it at all, and NAPA was closed. This cost us about 30 miles of planned distance that day. My point is, DEF isn't mainstream, yet. You have to search it out.

Isn't mainstream:confused: :confused:

BLUEDEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid, 2.5 gal - Walmart.com

It's in all the Walmarts and auto parts stores.

I drive a diesel car that uses DEF (urea). I simply top off the tank every 10,000 miles when I get the oil changed.

The car will warn me when it's down to "1500 miles of DEF". It'll start 10 times, then not start until it's refilled (thanks EPA regs). That's probably within range of a truck stop or another filling station (or Walmart) that sells it.

... My point is, DEF isn't mainstream, yet. You have to search it out.

Or carry an extra gallon/quart(s) for those rare times you won't get to a source in time.

So now diesels have 'range anxiety'! What's this world coming to! :)

-ERD50

Range anxiety?

My truck warns me when I have 1,000 miles of DEF remaining. My fuel gauge warns me when I have 400 miles of diesel remaining - by reading "full". :LOL:

Edit: In addition to Walmart and auto supply stores, DEF can be purchased at all truck stops - and many stations that sell diesel fuel.

Last edited:
Or carry an extra gallon/quart(s) for those rare times you won't get to a source in time.

So now diesels have 'range anxiety'! What's this world coming to! :)

-ERD50

Range anxiety is not an issue with me.

My diesel Passat tells me when I am running low on fuel, usually around 650 miles on the tankful and 75 to go. DEF light pops on with a few hundred miles left. Only seen that light once in 13,400 miles.

For those looking for great fuel economy in a very nice little (compact but quite comfortable) car, I can definitely recommend the one I rented in England last month.

It was a Hyundai i30 diesel, and we found it perfectly comfortable. I put just over 1,000 miles on it in 11 days, and averaged right around 58 mpg.

Caveat: I'm the kind of driver who normally gets better than predicted fuel economy, so most people might not get quite as good mileage as I did, but still...

I have heard that the advanced diesel engines common in Europe are starting to appear in the USA. I'd like to see that trend accelerate.

Range anxiety is not an issue with me. ...

I was just kidding about the range anxiety

- as REWahoo points out, my gas tank has a lot less range than that, in fact my little 14 G tank, and 21 mpg around town, with a gauge and warning light that are on E when I still have over 2 gallons left, means I need to be looking for a station at ~ 250 miles (much farther on the highway though).

So maybe not every gas station carries it, but with every walmart and auto store having it, even a 500 mile warning should not be a problem. And if it really is, an extra quart container would carry you.

-ERD50

I have heard that the advanced diesel engines common in Europe are starting to appear in the USA. I'd like to see that trend accelerate.

As I understand it (and I could have this wrong), the emission restrictions here are much tighter, so adjustments are needed to bring Euro-diesels to the US.

Or maybe something about sulfur levels in our fuel?

-ERD50

Buy what you like best! ...................good luck and I believe you save money when you buy a car that you like so much you'll keep it for years.....!
We have a winner folks. Even if it a Ferrari.

My 2005 Mustang GT is still in my driveway and I bet it's still there in 10 years. Yes, it burns more gas than a Prius but if I keep it 25 years it will burn less money than 3 or 4 [-]Prius's/Prius' [/-] (what's the plural of Prius?).

Back
Top Bottom