New car options?

Not thrilled with any of these three. Would pick the VW if that is all I had to chose from (anything but a Chevy, well almost, not sure about the Fiat) I'd look at the Toyota Corolla to meet your requirements...

Picking a car is as subjective as picking a woman/man...so I won't go there. For reliability, I would take a look at KBB. They have the 'professional' reviews and then the 'owners' reviews. They will combine all the owner's reviews (over time) and will give it a rating from 0-10 (also changes over time). I have found that they are good at representing what issues you might have with a car. As an example, I have an '09 Infiniti with 80K miles. If you were to believe CR and the predicted reliability...it's a crap car. I can tell you otherwise...it drives as well today as when it was new. No rattles, no squeaks, no issues AT ALL. On the KBB owner's site, it shows that it is rated a 9.2/10. As a comparison, the '09 Accord is LOVED by all the reviewers for reliability, but if you read enough owner reviews, you will see that there is a question of a decrease in quality over the last few years. The KBB owner's rating is 8.1/10...LOWER than the 'crappy' Infiniti.

Another good website (you have to sign up, but it's free) that has a lot of data is True Delta. I have also found that you are able to root out common problems with cars...as we have with the wife's Toyota Highlander (I hate it, but the wife loves it...very subjective, eh?).

One last thought...I do think VW has come a long way, but I have a friend that owns a VW repair shop and he stays VERY, VERY busy with the models that are 6 or more years old. That's the ONLY brand car he works on, and he's doing just fine. He gives me a hard time when I come visit in the Infiniti (which I call the 'Nissan') saying that I don't need to be taking up parking spots up front with dependable cars. ;)

6'4" and drove the Fiat 500. About two blocks. Really wanted to like the quirky, not to say ugly, duckling. HATED the driving feel, which was pretty much like an electric bumper car. Looking hard at the Honda Fit and the new HRV, but won't get the automatic CV transmission - loud and removes any kind of fun. Probably will go used though; can get a bunch more car for less money, which gives a nice repair bill cushion.

We have a winner folks. Even if it a Ferrari.

My 2005 Mustang GT is still in my driveway and I bet it's still there in 10 years. Yes, it burns more gas than a Prius but if I keep it 25 years it will burn less money than 3 or 4 [-]Prius's/Prius' [/-] (what's the plural of Prius?).

I say 'Prii' and get funny looks. But I'm pretty sure I'm right and everyone else is wrong, just like always.

6'4" and drove the Fiat 500. About two blocks. Really wanted to like the quirky, not to say ugly, duckling. HATED the driving feel, which was pretty much like an electric bumper car. Looking hard at the Honda Fit and the new HRV, but won't get the automatic CV transmission - loud and removes any kind of fun. Probably will go used though; can get a bunch more car for less money, which gives a nice repair bill cushion.

My father has an Accord with a CV and loves it, which shocked me. Sounds like they've gotten a lot better over the past three years: fixed ratios that feel more like a planetary gear system, quieter, and better able to handle torque.

I'm still skeptical, but I'm willing to test drive one now, whereas I would've dismissed one out of hand just a few years ago.

Not thrilled with any of these three. Would pick the VW if that is all I had to chose from (anything but a Chevy, well almost, not sure about the Fiat) I'd look at the Toyota Corolla to meet your requirements...

Can't even get my knee past the steering wheel in the Corolla just like most other cars. The corolla was my first choice and is the car i'd own if I was under 6 foot.

The Nissan Versa Note might be worth a look. Surprisingly roomy inside (although perhaps slanted more to headroom), and gets 40mpg highway. MSRP is under $15k for the base model. I think they even look pretty good, as compact hatchbacks go.

Edmunds.com has a list of their top 10 sedans for tall drivers:

Top 10 Sedans for Tall Drivers for 2014 | Edmunds.com

I have no idea if any of them will accomodate someone 6'6", though.

I guess car manufacturers assume all tall people have a lot of money. All those cars are bigger, higher end, cars. I assume smaller cars have to save space in the back seat by removing space in the driver seat? Maybe I should look at cars that have no back seat like the Smart fortwo? Are there any other cars that don't have a back seat and get very high gas mileage?

I guess car manufacturers assume all tall people have a lot of money. All those cars are bigger, higher end, cars. I assume smaller cars have to save space in the back seat by removing space in the driver seat? Maybe I should look at cars that have no back seat like the Smart fortwo? Are there any other cars that don't have a back seat and get very high gas mileage?

Wow... higher end.....

I would not put a Ford Fusion as a higher end vehicle...

You can get a cheap Altima or Sonata....

Heck, you do not have to get a sedan.... go for a small SUV and get plenty of room....

Wow... higher end.....

I would not put a Ford Fusion as a higher end vehicle...

You can get a cheap Altima or Sonata....

Heck, you do not have to get a sedan.... go for a small SUV and get plenty of room....

When I said higher end, I meant within the make. For example, it lists a Ford Fusion. There's the Fiesta, then the Focus...then the Fusion. That makes the Fusion higher end for Ford. The list was like that for all the makes. The model listed was at least 2 models from the low end making it higher end.

Small SVU is my preferred vehicle except for gas mileage. I'm trying to find something that fits my legs AND gets over 35MPG. A lower end SUV(which is all I could afford) won't have that high of MPG.

When I said higher end, I meant within the make. For example, it lists a Ford Fusion. There's the Fiesta, then the Focus...then the Fusion. That makes the Fusion higher end for Ford. The list was like that for all the makes. The model listed was at least 2 models from the low end making it higher end.

Small SVU is my preferred vehicle except for gas mileage. I'm trying to find something that fits my legs AND gets over 35MPG. A lower end SUV(which is all I could afford) won't have that high of MPG.

Yea... I guess if you are looking at it like that.... but I would call them middle cars...

I look at high end like Audi, BMW, Mercedes.... you know, $40K and up...

But a small car is a small car... there is not much ability to have 'space' when you get down that small....

LOL.... I just remembered a TV show... will have to look up the name... but two guys who buy old cars and fix them up.... the guy who fixes them up is like 6'6".... he was driving a really small convertible and his head was sticking up over the windshield.... he was wearing goggles... looked funny as heck... SOOOOO, there is that option...:D

But a small car is a small car... there is not much ability to have 'space' when you get down that small.

Maybe I could get a small car with great gas mileage then have a shop take out the drivers seat and move the track back so the seat will go back all the way to the back seat. I have no need for leg room to be available behind the drivers seat. Any idea how much something like that would cost. Assume it's a lower end car with manual seats, nothing electrical.

Aaron, I realize this doesn't fit all the criteria you listed, but wanted to suggest test driving a Subara Forrester.
I recently rode in one with a friend in Minnesota. Head and leg room seemed almost spacious. Comfort was excellent due to the seat bolsters. Gas mileage better than average according to him.

I saw many Subarus in that area. Probably because of the all wheel drive. Pretty gnarly driving in winter I suspect. Not sure if that would be something useful to you or not.

Anyway, wanted to toss the idea out there.
Best of luck in your search...........

Maybe I could get a small car with great gas mileage then have a shop take out the drivers seat and move the track back so the seat will go back all the way to the back seat. I have no need for leg room to be available behind the drivers seat. Any idea how much something like that would cost. Assume it's a lower end car with manual seats, nothing electrical.

Maybe you could rig up something like this: :LOL:

Ooh, I like the way you're thinking. I would honestly try to do this yourself as you'll probably have to keep checking position to see if it's working. Do you have a handy friend to help? I imagine all you'd need to do is remove the carpeting, unbolt the rails, push them back, and drill in new bolt holes and replace the carpet. You'd want a ramp, so you could see what is going on below and don't drill into the muffler or anything. You'd also likely need a variety of washers and spacers to keep the rails level in their new position. And some sort of primer or cold-galv to protect the new holes you just added to your car.

Check YouTube, someone may have already submitted this exact exercise.

If you and/or a friend has a drill and ramp (seemed everyone had a set of ramps for oil changes when I was young), then all you would need would be maybe $15 in hardware and primer. Plus grubby clothes and a few hours to suss through it.

I think that's your best bet. Try googling, or maybe go to a body shop and ask about it.

Hmmmm, in this day and age, might be liability concerns about the seat belts and air bags?

-ERD50

Maybe I could get a small car with great gas mileage then have a shop take out the drivers seat and move the track back so the seat will go back all the way to the back seat.
My specs are pretty close to yours (roughly same height, and mostly legs). For me, the problem with this plan is that I wouldn't be able to comfortably reach the steering wheel, since most don't telescope back far enough.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but would love to hear where you've found good jeans that fit. I'm lost ever since Lucky Jeans stopped making anything in extra-long length.

might be liability concerns about the seat belts and air bags?

Yes, and you would be putting your life/body at risk. The belt position and airbag distance to face are , I am sure, calculated to be optimal. Side airbags that deploy where they are not intended would not be a good thing.

Unless you are going to be hacking up a 64 Chevy II, then have at it...

Aaron, I realize this doesn't fit all the criteria you listed, but wanted to suggest test driving a Subara Forrester.
I recently rode in one with a friend in Minnesota. Head and leg room seemed almost spacious. Comfort was excellent due to the seat bolsters. Gas mileage better than average according to him.

I saw many Subarus in that area. Probably because of the all wheel drive. Pretty gnarly driving in winter I suspect. Not sure if that would be something useful to you or not.

Anyway, wanted to toss the idea out there.
Best of luck in your search...........

I've been driving a Forester since February 2005. I stupidly chose the turbo version and get 22 MPG (of premium fuel) on the highway if I keep it under 70. If it got 32 instead of 22 i'd keep it another 10+ years

I don't want to hijack this thread, but would love to hear where you've found good jeans that fit. I'm lost ever since Lucky Jeans stopped making anything in extra-long length.

Back when I was young and stupid I got $60 jeans from Eddie Bauer. Now I get jeans from Walmart.com for $20 or less. The two pair I bought about 3 years ago will last several more years. I don't care about fashion. I wear $5-10 t-shirts and the cheapest jeans that fit. If it's cold I wear a $15 hoodie with no logo. I don't buy one in every color, I buy ONE.

I've been driving a Forester since February 2005. I stupidly chose the turbo version and get 22 MPG (of premium fuel) on the highway if I keep it under 70. If it got 32 instead of 22 i'd keep it another 10+ years

The new Forester (starting with 2014), non-turbo with CVT, get 30 or so, especially if you keep it under 70.

Or carry an extra gallon/quart(s) for those rare times you won't get to a source in time.

So now diesels have 'range anxiety'! What's this world coming to! :)

-ERD50

I always carry an extra quart of oil, as some fluids are pretty critical, so want to have it when you find its low at the campground/hotel parking lot.

Back
Top Bottom