New Fidelity Calulator

Looks like a less comprehensive version of their regular retirement calculator with perhaps easier to change what if scenarios.

Without including SS, it came up with a 3.2% WR, based on a retirement age of 58 and an assumed lifespan of 100 years.

Looks like tool to be used by a annuity salesman.

I plugged in my wife's data assuming I'm out of the picture. She can W/D 3.7% for next 35 years.

It give very limited view, as I plug age of FIRE 56 and SS for 2 of us assuming that we file at 67, it gives flat number for the whole period till 100with ~3.4% WD rate. Not very useful as it would be better to see flat total income with larger withdrawals from 56 to 67 and smaller after that because of SS start.

It presented limited flexibility for couples who are in different stages of life. DH is 71 and collecting SS. I'm 62 and don't plan to collect till 70 (subject to real time change in plans.). We have rental income. Our savings/investments are treated as joint from a withdrawal POV, but some are titled individually (IRA/inherited money).

But - if I put in 0 for SS to remove that factor/limitation, then put in our rental income for a pension (which is what I do in firecalc),and my (younger) age... I saw a withdrawal rate similar to what we're currently taking.

Not planning on an annuity - but that (like when to take SS) is subject to change in the future if interest rates make a SPIA make sense.

I also noted if you slide the annuity bar - it does NOT adjust your retirement savings down by the same amount... So a lot of people might misinterpret the results.

Seems biased in outcomes favoring annuities and balanced portfolio.

It calculates 100% all annuities beating investments in earning rates.

Objectively, higher equity rates would deliver more earnings (but more volatility) - but it does not reflect that either.

Seems biased in outcomes favoring annuities and balanced portfolio.

It calculates 100% all annuities beating investments in earning rates.

Objectively, higher equity rates would deliver more earnings (but more volatility) - but it does not reflect that either.

Based upon gender neutral annuities (typically males get better rates); and one life only.

Back
Top Bottom