New Leaf Activites

1. Flying for Angel Flight West to fly patients to and from their treatments
2.Flying rescue animals to new homes with Pilots n Paws
3.Preparing taxes for low income and elderly people through the AARP program
4. Repairing wheelchairs and walkers at a local hospice
5.Helping with a food distribution center for homeless and low income people
6. Volunteering to restore an old switch engine for a railroad historical society
7. Counseling widows and widowers through a bereavement group

I had this big pre-retirement goal of getting back into flying - a sport in which I'd participated avidly from my 20's into my 40's, but had put aside in the more frenetic last decade of my career. After retiring I fulfilled that goal, started flying again, sustained a minor injury after about 9 months... and haven't flown since.

Instead in true "new leaf" fashion I got bitten hard by the mountain biking bug and have done little else but that (and a fair bit of traveling with DW) for the last 1.5 years. The attraction is a combination of the enjoyment of learning something new and the "hellhound on my tail" sense that I'd better do this now cause I won't have the physical capability to go at at it hard for that many more years.

2 main New Leaf activities:

Learning to dance hula
Outrigger canoe paddling

Life is sure different since we relocated to Kauai from St. Louis :)

*** My question is what New Leaf Activities have you first started and kept doing since you retired? ***

since mine was a surprise retirement , very shortly after my first ever MRI , , my new hobbies include drinking PLENTY of fluids ( sadly NOT alcohol , or caffeine enhanced ) , cheering up medical staff and pharmacy staff , and spending a LOT more time researching stocks and investment strategies , which is not totally bad , as i think i need to double my nest egg to be comfortably , financially independent

however things MIGHT improve circa 2022 , hopefully financially as well

BTW where is that crash i keep hearing about , i need to buy more shares CHEAP :confused:

I'm going to try rolling megaphone shaped Jamaican Spliffs for a cooler hit.

Raw pre-rolled cones are awesome.

My new leaf stuff is jogging and lifting weights.

I started volunteering at a small museum in my area, the Hoard Historical Museum and National Dairy Shrine. For a small-town museum it has some exceptional offerings that I've appreciated all my adult life.

One of the high points of the experience: While cataloguing some archival material, I had a chance to study a file belonging to Lucien Caswell, a Wisconsin congressman in the late 19th century. To my delight, the file contained invitations to three presidential inaugural balls -- one for Rutherford Hayes, one for Benjamin Harrison and one for Grover Cleveland.

The file also contained a small notebook belonging to Caswell's young daughter. It was a journal of her visit to Washington sometime around 1890. In her childish hand, she wrote about visiting the US Capitol and other sites, including the White House, where she and her father "sat down for a lovely chat with President Harrison."

That's heady stuff for a history buff!

Not retired yet, but sort of in New Leaf territory anyway, so I'm enjoying reading these replies.

And still trying to figure out what my New Leaves are going to be. :)

In the meantime I'm getting my body put back together after years of increasingly poor alignments and injuries. Also now down to a weight I haven't been at steadily since college.

i may as well start meeting new people

i have now been referred to a hematologist in a different hospital to the other two usual haunts ( hospitals ) lets's see if i can pick up a chest infection waiting around this one as well .

however it is not all bad news , i haven't been on that side of town for nearly a decade i can get a snapshot of recent government planning , the hospital was in the middle of a logistics nightmare AND a traffic black-spot .( a LOT of vehicular accidents very close to the hospital or nurses quarters )

it should be interesting to see which businesses survived and which didn't .

i... i can get a snapshot of recent government planning , the hospital was in the middle of a logistics nightmare AND a traffic black-spot .( a LOT of vehicular accidents very close to the hospital or nurses quarters )

Well, that's good planning isn't it? I mean, if one is planning to have a high-accident-rate area, shouldn't it be close to medical care availability?:D

Started giving platelet donations to the Red Cross since one thing I now have is some free time. I've given 25 in the past 2 years.

If it helps out just one cancer patient, I figure it's worth it. And maybe it helps build some good karma.

I started volunteering at a small museum in my area, the Hoard Historical Museum and National Dairy Shrine. For a small-town museum it has some exceptional offerings that I've appreciated all my adult life.

One of the high points of the experience: While cataloguing some archival material, I had a chance to study a file belonging to Lucien Caswell, a Wisconsin congressman in the late 19th century. To my delight, the file contained invitations to three presidential inaugural balls -- one for Rutherford Hayes, one for Benjamin Harrison and one for Grover Cleveland.

The file also contained a small notebook belonging to Caswell's young daughter. It was a journal of her visit to Washington sometime around 1890. In her childish hand, she wrote about visiting the US Capitol and other sites, including the White House, where she and her father "sat down for a lovely chat with President Harrison."

That's heady stuff for a history buff!

Also a history buff. I have been auditing history classes at Princeton University which has been wonderful. The first was an Ancient Rome Class concerning the Empire Period up to Constantine and the second was British History between the War of the Roses and the Glorious Revolution. Also reading a lot concerning my favorite period in history 1700-1914. Just finished John Quincy Adams' Diary which was very good along with two books about John Adams by Joseph Ellis. Love having the time to do this.

Back
Top Bottom