New Printer

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I set up my new printer today.

It's an Epson multi-functional Inktank injet.

I must admit, there is something satisfying :) about filling up the tanks with the ink bottles knowing that each time I print now, that's a savings compared to cartridges. (Oh, these tank printers do cost more upfront).

Only problem is, I'm not ready to part with my two other printers (a monochrome multi-functional and Cannon Color Laser printer). Each can do some things better than the other printers. That can lead to hoarding :(.

Attachments

• ink fill up.jpg
    ink fill up.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 47
I've been looking at those. Reviews have been mixed, but it ticks me off every time I have to replace $100 worth of cartridges for my HP. I've been wondering if a laser might be better for me since I print so few pages per month. I can't remember the last time I printed a photo, so that's not a requirement.

What I have, and I think its fairly common, is an Epson multifunction and a HP Laserjet. 99% printing is on the laser jet, the Epson is mostly scan & copy and vary occasional color print so I don't worry about the const of cartridges.

I've been looking at those. Reviews have been mixed, but it ticks me off every time I have to replace $100 worth of cartridges for my HP. I've been wondering if a laser might be better for me since I print so few pages per month. I can't remember the last time I printed a photo, so that's not a requirement.
Why not disable the page print counter in your HP and simply refill the cartridges yourself? I did this from the printer menu and bout a $10 refill kit (black and colors) that equates to 20 cartridges.

Yes, reviews have been mixed on those inktank printers.

For me, I try to manage my expectations and know that my main need is to be able to print color economically.

I compare getting the printer similar to when digital cameras came out. Higher upfront cost for the camera, but then don't have to get film developed. So, in theory, the more used the more saved in the long run.

I'm still keeping my laser printer(s) though. The problem with the inkjet I have now is the ink is water-soluable, not water resistant. So, if printing anything I'd want to keep (like a POA document for signing), better not get that wet or better yet print on a laser.

Yes, reviews have been mixed on those inktank printers.

For me, I try to manage my expectations and know that my main need is to be able to print color economically.

I compare getting the printer similar to when digital cameras came out. Higher upfront cost for the camera, but then don't have to get film developed. So, in theory, the more used the more saved in the long run.

I'm still keeping my laser printer(s) though. The problem with the inkjet I have now is the ink is water-soluable, not water resistant. So, if printing anything I'd want to keep (like a POA document for signing), better not get that wet or better yet print on a laser.
Yes, water soluble is the downside to inkjet printers. Fortunately, I'm only printing the occasional work document and homework assignment for my kids.

Having a laser printer, even an older model, would be fine if I had a way of self- refilling the toner (maybe this exists, but I haven't looked into it).

... Having a laser printer, even an older model, would be fine if I had a way of self- refilling the toner (maybe this exists, but I haven't looked into it).
I do two things:

1) After actual experience dealing with the incredible mess that toner powder makes, wherever possible I buy aftermarket refilled cartridges. These are cheap on eBay and I have never had a problem with one.

2) When I need a printer I shop CraigsList for "workgroup" printers, preferably HP. These often have very low page counts for a device designed for thousands of pages per month. They are also built to last. Finally, they have bigger toner cartridges so need less refilling.

My Hp 2300dn even does automatic two-sided printing. I have had it for at least two or three years and don't remember having to buy a toner cartridge for it. It is rated for 50,000 pages per month, 5K pages per toner cart.

My OKI C710 laser prints very splashy and intense color. Again a workgroup printer, it has four separate drums for CMYK. Cheap consumer color lasers have only one drum, so tone scraped off the drum is multicolored and cannot be recycled/must be tossed. That printer does not get a lot of use but I'm still on he (used) toner cartridges that were in it when I brought it home. It is rated for 600,000 pages, 100,000 pages/month, and 10,000 pages per toner cart.

You've got the best inkjet printer--cheapest to use.

I just stick with a Brother black and white laser printer--avoiding color. I do have a couple of color inkjets that I could setup if color was needed.

I have just given up and figured it's just the cost of admission. I got a color laser and of course was shocked at the cost of toner cartridges. So, I went and bought 3rd party cartridges for about a 1/4 of the cost of HP's. They worked okay, but I think next time, I'm just going to go back to HP. The 3rd party cartridges have leaked (nothing major) and I just don't want to deal with it. So, I think this will just be a "blow that dough" item. At least with the lasers, when you want to use them, they haven't dried up and clogged up. i.e., they work. Plus, a set of cartridges will last me at least 2 years. Likely 3 to 4 given that I use the printer less and less as time goes on.

I have just given up and figured it's just the cost of admission. I got a color laser and of course was shocked at the cost of toner cartridges. So, I went and bought 3rd party cartridges for about a 1/4 of the cost of HP's. They worked okay, but I think next time, I'm just going to go back to HP. The 3rd party cartridges have leaked (nothing major) and I just don't want to deal with it. So, I think this will just be a "blow that dough" item. At least with the lasers, when you want to use them, they haven't dried up and clogged up. i.e., they work. Plus, a set of cartridges will last me at least 2 years. Likely 3 to 4 given that I use the printer less and less as time goes on.

I'm in the process of adding the habit of printing something on my new inkjet printer every day to keep the ink flowing. Yeah, I know seems like a waste but at the cheap estimated cost (about a penny a page for color), won't be something I'd fret about.

Now I have 3 printers. The new all in-one inkjet, a Canon color laser (w/3rd party toner) and an old Samsung all-in-one. The Canon I'll just mostly for stuff like printing out my taxes and anything I can't afford to smear with wet. The inkjet for day to day cheap printing and scanning and copying. The Samsung I have stored away (too good to part with as still works fine. I just don't have space and it's 1 sided only printing).

I know, a bit overkill :facepalm:.

I set up my new printer today.

It's an Epson multi-functional Inktank injet.

I must admit, there is something satisfying :) about filling up the tanks with the ink bottles knowing that each time I print now, that's a savings compared to cartridges. (Oh, these tank printers do cost more upfront).

Only problem is, I'm not ready to part with my two other printers (a monochrome multi-functional and Cannon Color Laser printer). Each can do some things better than the other printers. That can lead to hoarding :(.
On May 27th, 2018 I bought a brand new black and white Brother laser printer without wi-fi, for $49.99+tax. Forum member "Another Reader" pointed out to me that it was on sale so I snapped it up.

I also bought a generic ink cartridge for it since it came with just a "starter cartridge", but the starter cartridge is still going strong so I never had to change it out. Let's see - - $0.00 on cartridges used in the 31 months so far.

I admit I do not print a lot! But when I do, I want it to work and it does.

I do not miss my humungous color laser printer that I had before this one. I am getting older (too quickly!) and I don't even think I could lift a printer like that any more.

On May 27th, 2018 I bought a brand new black and white Brother laser printer without wi-fi, for $54.86. Someone on this forum pointed out to me that it was on sale so I snapped it up.

I also bought a generic ink cartridge for it since it came with just a "starter cartridge". Two and half years later it is still printing fine so I never had to change it out. Let's see - - $0.00 on cartridges in the 31 months so far.

I admit I do not print a lot! But when I do, I want it to work and it does.

I do not miss my humungous color laser printer that I had before this one. I am getting older (too quickly!) and I don't even think I could lift a printer like that any more.

At under $55, that's a really sweet deal you got on your Brother laser printer. I went years only black and white as the price of color was too much a luxury. I did have few inkjets in the past but with all the clogging and expensive cartridges, I swore I'd never get an inkjet again.

Fast forward til fairly recently and I bought a camera and needed a color printout of the detailed manual to see how to use that camera so got the color laser. But then the cost of OEM toner (yikes) and lower quality 3rd party toner (meh).

Hopefully, if I properly care for this inkjet, it won't be a headache to use. Time will tell.

Laser is the king, in terms of print consistency and toner price per page. Inkjet is the poor contender who won only the 2nd place :).

I've had quite a few color laser printers (multiple homes), and while it really pisses me off to pay the full price for OEM toner cartridges, I once had to replace a printer due to an off-brand cartridge explosion. So I suck it up and buy the OEM. Although sometimes I can find a deal that makes it cheaper to buy a new printer (Wifi AiO color laser) than a set of cartridges, so I will do that and donate the old printer.

I'm in the process of adding the habit of printing something on my new inkjet printer every day to keep the ink flowing. Yeah, I know seems like a waste but at the cheap estimated cost (about a penny a page for color), won't be something I'd fret about.

Now I have 3 printers. The new all in-one inkjet, a Canon color laser (w/3rd party toner) and an old Samsung all-in-one. The Canon I'll just mostly for stuff like printing out my taxes and anything I can't afford to smear with wet. The inkjet for day to day cheap printing and scanning and copying. The Samsung I have stored away (too good to part with as still works fine. I just don't have space and it's 1 sided only printing).

I know, a bit overkill :facepalm:.
It's to be expected as the trail gets longer.

I've decided to add another network laser printer to 2ND floor. There's an mfc inkjet that never works, and has to go since it uses up too much of my admin time. Just have to remember to give the inkjet a proper burial and not keep around.

I got disgusted with color printers and the cost of cartridges. The last one, an Epson WF 3640, worked OK till I bought off-brand ink. It kept giving me a message that it was not Epson ink. The quality of the print deteriorated and cleaning the print heads didn't work. Finally it quit communicating with my computer because the driver files were gone. They were also not available for download on Epson's site. I did NOT remove any driver files from my computer.

So, I bought a simple B&W laser printer, which is all I need 99% of the time. If I need color printing I go to the UPS store or to my public library (except that the latter is now closed due to COVID).

I ordered a gift from Amazon:
Brother Monochrome Laser Printer, Compact Multifunction Printer and Copier, DCPL2550DW - it has wired ethernet and I prefer that. WiFi also, and copier/scanner.

I ordered a gift from Amazon:
Brother Monochrome Laser Printer, Compact Multifunction Printer and Copier, DCPL2550DW - it has wired ethernet and I prefer that. WiFi also, and copier/scanner.

Brother laser printers with the toner cartridges are great and last a long time. If you do lots of document word processing as I do, you certainly do not want a color printer with ink cartridges. It would get very costly for ink.

Brother laser printers with the toner cartridges are great and last a long time. If you do lots of document word processing as I do, you certainly do not want a color printer with ink cartridges. It would get very costly for ink.
Thanks for the advice. I've owned laser printers forever, even when costly beyond belief. My LaserWriter Plus cost $4500 in 1983. HP 4MP was around 2,000 later. Every 4-5 years the cost for a laser printer dropped.

In my office is a color laser - HP. Sitting in other corner is a Canon multi-function. They've worked without a problem for over 5 years.

The Brother laser will go in the 2nd floor office. Replacing the color inkjet there will make others happy. It will give me one less admin duty around here.

We've had a handful of inkjet printers over the years. No great memories with those. I used to draft proposals for clients showing them true cost of inkjet printers. Employees always complaining about the junk printers they had to have, and quickly misused. Don't miss it at all.

Back
Top Bottom