New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

The shingles vaccine will prevent (or drastically lessen) getting Shingles.

I've had chickenpox, can't get that again, but shingles is not Chickenpox, which is why the vaccine for it is different.

I was all set to get the Shingrix one, until Covid-19 appeared on the scene. My doctor is not skilled enough to give me the shot via tel-medicine ;)

according to science Shingles is the legacy of a Chicken Pox

unlike Herpes Simplex where you can get it from kissing an infectious person or even drinking from the same cup ( or other saliva transfers )

Can You Get Chickenpox Twice?

https://www.healthline.com/health/can-you-get-chickenpox-twice

so in my case i DID get it twice , or the first case was wrongly diagnosed BUT the vaccine didn't work either as the second case was in High School and i vaccinated in primary School

but either way i have Shingles

What is Reye’s syndrome?

https://www.healthline.com/health/reye-syndrome#symptoms

interesting .. maybe that explains my 'childhood allergy to Aspirin ' diagnosis

when about 4 years old

good thing i am not allergic to Aspirin now it is part of my heart medication regime

Oz, I was having recurrent cases of Shingles and got the Shingrix shots and no more shingles for me. Yah! I bet if you got the new shingles vaccines (both of them) you would also quit getting recurrent shingles.

Your question about whether Covid 19 will have lasting effects like Chicken Pox does is an interesting one--at this point nobody knows. Children are not getting sick very much with Covid- 19 but I wonder if later in their lives Covid-19 will rear its ugly head and cause all these children to get sick as an adult.

Last edited:
i have never managed to get shingles in my eyes it mainly flares up in the rear pelvis area and along the spine making applying a cream rather difficult , and sometimes in my right shoulder where the Arthritis is ... but on course that might be Rheumatic because no one ever considered i might have picked up Rheumatic Fever as an infant from a neighbours family

maybe that troublesome right shoulder is a good thing , it is a great aid for weather forecasting

but heck when there is no virus lurking i can still walk to the local shop 100 yards away unaided , make my own cup of tea , i am doing much better than one or two neighbours ,

Well I guess you don't have a Shingles strategy that works for you since you get Shingles...if you prefer not to get the shingles vaccine go for it, because it doesn't bother anyone but you.

But really don't bother trying to convince the rest of us that we should do without the vaccine because you don't think it's worth it.

Just got my second shot. Sore arm, but now I am done.

Alert for those approaching Medicare. My current insurance covers the vaccine under medical (100%). Medicare covers it under part D. So, if you get a low cost part D plan with the standard deducible ($495?), you will likely pay out of pocket. There may be some part D plans that cover 100%, but if your current plan pays, do it now to avoid the potential costs.
YMMV

Just got my second shot. Sore arm, but now I am done.

Alert for those approaching Medicare. My current insurance covers the vaccine under medical (100%). Medicare covers it under part D. So, if you get a low cost part D plan with the standard deducible ($495?), you will likely pay out of pocket. There may be some part D plans that cover 100%, but if your current plan pays, do it now to avoid the potential costs.
YMMV

My plan D did not cover the first shot I got in February and will not cover my 2nd shot as well. My out pf pocket cost is $170 for each shot. Well worth it in my opinion.

My plan D did not cover the first shot I got in February and will not cover my 2nd shot as well. My out pf pocket cost is $170 for each shot. Well worth it in my opinion.

My point exactly. I have seen shingles, and would pay the money out of pocket if needed, but planning ahead can save $350-$400 per person.

Also, theres a possibility that manufacturing facilities presently used for other vaccines will be moved to produce a new Covid vaccine if/when it arrives. So other vaccines might be scarce.

vaccine :confused:?

surely you can not be serious

What Is Shingles?
https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-skin#1

having been raised in the days of 'measles parties '
( where mothers would arrange that children played with infected children to CATCH that pesky illness and so develop immunity to it )

obviously catching Chicken Pox was as easy as eating cake at a birthday party

so what triggers shingles is STRESS , that can be nervous stress , or as an artifact of another illness .... say a Flu followed by an outbreak of Shingles and Cold Sores if you have both

so a vaccine for a disease that lurks in your nervous system ( sometimes for decades )
seems absurd

<snip>
Oz investor, the Shingrix vaccine (developed by GSK, GlaxoSmithKline) is apparently not available in Australia.
https://www.nps.org.au/australian-p...in-australia-whats-available-and-who-benefits

The older Zostovax vaccine is available in Australia, however. It's not as effective at preventing shingles as the newer Shingrix vaccine, however. I believe that adverse reactions to Zostovax are less common than to Shingrix. (I had a severe adverse reaction which I described in post #342 in this thread.)

Neither is a "vaccine" in terms of fully preventing a disease. Yes, the chicken pox virus remains in the body, and it can erupt as shingles decades later. But both the Zostovax and Shingrix vaccines make it less likely that you will develop a case of shingles.

DW and I got second shot today.

Interesting. Called about getting my second shot today. The pharmacy where I got my first shot said per the CDC vaccines are suspended due to covid-19.

I then mentioned what happens then as the recommendation is 1st shot, the 2nd within 6 months. What happens if longer than 6 months and the pharmacist said as long as 2nd shot within 1 year, it's good.

To quote Wayne Campbell from Wayne's World "I was not aware of that".

I then mentioned what happens then as the recommendation is 1st shot, the 2nd within 6 months. What happens if longer than 6 months and the pharmacist said as long as 2nd shot within 1 year, it's good.

I also was not aware that you could wait up to one year between shots. I had my first shot in February and my pharmacist at the time said I needed to get the second no later than 6 months.

I also was not aware that you could wait up to one year between shots. I had my first shot in February and my pharmacist at the time said I needed to get the second no later than 6 months.

Maybe the pharmacist tell people 6 months to fudge in the tendency for people to procrastinate? Just a theory :).

Kind of like when the gas tank shows empty, there still are some more miles of driving remaining.

Easysurfer, got mine at Walmart

Hmmmm.... maybe it's a pharmacy thing or state by state decision?

I wasn't really in the mood to get jabbed today anyhow :).

Interesting, when I called I was told that if I went much past six months that I would need to start over. That is why I went ahead and got my second shot. I was also told that I was required to wear a mask ...I would have worn a mask anyway.

Interesting. Called about getting my second shot today. The pharmacy where I got my first shot said per the CDC vaccines are suspended due to covid-19.

Got mine at Walgreens last week. No issues. Unless it is a local thing with the shutdown, I would check elsewhere and not go past 6 months.

I just had the exact same experience and explanation 5 minutes ago at Kaiser Permanente here in Washington. Might need to take a trip to another state soon as it is crazy out here.

Attachments

• schedule.jpg
    schedule.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Really? In my state the warning is already being sounded in regards to vaccines for children. Vaccinations are down 30%. Just what we need - a measles or whopping cough epidemic on top of a CV pandemic. :eek:

Attachments

• shingrex from cdc.jpg
    shingrex from cdc.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 31
Look at my link from the shingrix people themselves they say the same as the cdc but add it may not be effective. As far as I can find there is no research. I suspect the advice do not repeat is making the best of it and not risking harm as they don’t know what a third dose would do.

If I had only had one dose I would be trying hard to get the second as soon as it could be done with reasonable safety if it was approaching 6 months I don’t think people should be thinking oh it is completely fine to wait Would I go today? No. I live in Massachusetts. But I would be alert and in contact with whomever would be providing the immunization

Look at my link from the shingrix people themselves they say the same as the cdc but add it may not be effective. As far as I can find there is no research. I suspect the advice do not repeat is making the best of it and not risking harm as they don’t know what a third dose would do.

If I had only had one dose I would be trying hard to get the second as soon as it could be done with reasonable safety if it was approaching 6 months I don’t think people should be thinking oh it is completely fine to wait Would I go today? No. I live in Massachusetts. But I would be alert and in contact with whomever would be providing the immunization

Yeah, I get what you are saying. Second dosage of 2-6 months better than waiting.

This darn pandemic!

Back
Top Bottom