New twist on an old nightmare

Spock

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Since graduating from college 40ish years ago, I've had a recurring nightmare where I can't remember my class schedule.
Derivatives have been:
1) I can't find the class room
2) forgot I was taking the class and its now finals week... see #1 above
Well last night I had a new twist.
I dreampt I couldn't remember which class I was supposed to be in, what time, or where it was... similar theme.
The twist was the person next to me said: "that's ok. you have dementia".
:facepalm:

Yikes! I'm sure glad I don't have dreams like that one! Maybe it's time for some soothing music and warm milk with cookies right before bedtime.

Mine was some version of I skipped class and didn't hear about the exam, and was now trying to dream up an excuse to the Prof for why I didn't show up for the exam. Usually in that same dream I also am entirely unprepared for the exam which I will now have to take on the spot. This may or may not have actually occurred at some point in my academic career ;-)

Oh my goodness! I had the 1) & 2) nightmare variations for years!

I haven't had the last one - yet.

Thank God my nightmares run the gamut somewhere between Stephen King on the weird side and Russ Myers on the erotic side depending on what I eat before bedtime. Sweets are good for erotica and that's all I'm giving up.

Since graduating from college 40ish years ago, I've had a recurring nightmare where I can't remember my class schedule.
Derivatives have been:
I dreampt I couldn't remember which class I was supposed to be in, what time, or where it was... similar theme.

Must be a common nightmare theme since I've had the exact same dreams for decades. Seems to come and go. Either I can't recall my schedule and/or find my classroom. Sometimes it's not at school but happens at other places. (See my avatar.) In real life I never get lost, have a good memory and excellent sense of direction. I've read that such dreams suggest that you feel trap in something in your life. Well not that I'm aware of in my case? Not sure what all that means.:confused:

EDIT: In thinking about this some more, I haven't had those dreams in almost a year. They stopped about the same time I quit decades of swing trading and never could get it right. I wonder. :crazy:

Last edited:
I can relate! However, perhaps the fellow student was just trying to remind you that as a Gerontology major, your class was in "Dementia," MWF 2:00-3:30. Implied but not said, stop partying on Tuesday nights!

I can relate! However, perhaps the fellow student was just trying to remind you that as a Gerontology major, your class was in "Dementia," MWF 2:00-3:30. Implied but not said, stop partying on Tuesday nights!

:LOL:

I've had the "I registered for a college class and forgot to attend all classes and didn't do any homework" dream multiple times over the years.

Other interesting ones:

1. Forgot to put my retainer in or lost it (haven't worn a retainer in 30+ years)
2. Went to sleep with my contacts in. (haven't worn contacts in 15 years)
3. I left the garage door open. (99% of the time the garage doors are closed)

Dreams are interesting stuff. I'm sure there are others I'm not remembering.

I too, have had nightmares #1 and #2. I've also had variations where I go to the school office and request my schedule but for some reason they can't find it. I also have a variation on this dream where I'm in high school and can't find my locker.

Thankfully, I've never had variation #3, "You've got dementia."

I have the recurring nightmare where my roommate in the dorm and his two buddies in the room next door break into a soft drink machine in the hall, are caught in the act, get expelled - and so do I.

Wait, that really happened... :facepalm:

Last night I dreamt I was in my childhood home with my mom and Mick Jagger. Mick was old (current age).
I was trying to politely explain to my 91 year old mom who Mick was while also letting Mick know how much I liked some of his music. FWIW, Mick was quite nice about the whole situation and seemed genuinely glad to meet my mom. My mom was just confused the whole time.

Derivatives have been:
+1 on these dreams. I figured it was just me that had these dreams. Wow.

I often dream of my high school girlfriend Susie in Connecticut and that we got married and had 8 kids which forced me to not attend college and work in local foundry making cast iron manhole covers until I was 80. But then I wake up and realize I was saved from this by getting my draft notice and spending a few years in the war, which was less stressful.

I really loved that gal, but when I was "away", she found someone else.:(

I often dream of my high school girlfriend Susie in Connecticut and that we got married and had 8 kids which forced me to not attend college and work in local foundry making cast iron manhole covers until I was 80. But then I wake up and realize I was saved from this by getting my draft notice and spending a few years in the war, which was less stressful.

I really loved that gal, but when I was "away", she found someone else.:(
I've heard there are often bits of truth in your dreams, if you look hard enough. As twisted as they maybe. She probably married the owner of the manhole cover company.:LOL:

Last edited:
The most common variation for me is the I forgot my locker combination or I can't remember where my locker is.

. . . In real life I never get lost, have a good memory and excellent sense of direction. . .

In real life

- I frequently got lost,
- had no memory for directions (as my mind was always darting off
somewhere else);
- and had an awful sense of direction.

Bridges seemed to pop out of nowhere in front of my car. Gosh I hated that. Sneaky bridges.

On the bright side, if I went someplace frequently (i.e. work or the train station) my car would eventually learn its way there).

Derivatives have been:

I've had those dreams too, & still do -- why?? Variations on can't find the classroom, can't find the posted schedule that shows the room number, anxious that I won't make it to class, etc. Interestingly it's almost always in high school, not college.

Fascinating that it's so common. Maybe the overall theme is anxiety & the school setting a metaphor for real life.

LOL!! I also have had those dreams. Not lately but have through the years.

I’ve never had those kind of dreams. From early childhood until about 5 years ago I had terrible nightmares frequently. Thankfully they all disappeared. It was usually someone chasing me and trying to hurt me.

Similar dreams about being back in mega-corp and being handed an unsolvable problem.

Then I wake

Derivatives have been:

I had the same kind of dreams. Variations include:

1) I signed up for some sort of easy class like English, attended the first few days and never attended again. I meant to formally withdraw from the class but I never got around to it. Now the final is occurring, I'm walking around the 2nd floor hallway trying to remember where the class was.
2) I need to attend the final which is scheduled for this morning. I can't find my shoes or my coat or my pants. I'm running around all morning long and I never make it out the front door.

it is interesting that these types of dreams are so common. i often have dreams where i cant find my classroom, cant find my locker, etc. cant remember if i have had the one about dementia.

"How could I be so careless? I knew I must have registered for class but just blew it off all semester. Now I have a final tomorrow."

I think this comes from the unique experience of the new responsibility of college intersecting with becoming an adult and being on your own. It is a time of growth and discovery of real responsibility, and the immature brain is still working things out. This uniquely common dream is a result.

I opened a thread about work nightmares a few years ago. We discussed those but the thread ended up also discussing this typical college nightmare.

Although I had work nightmares for about a year after retiring they are now gone, gone for good, goodbye. [emoji3]

Back
Top Bottom