Next hurricane headed toward LA/MISS?

Big shift again! Back to crossing north Florida again.

The storm is heading north now.

Attachments

• CE5CD41E-011F-4EDF-BD7F-30A485ACD3D2.png
    CE5CD41E-011F-4EDF-BD7F-30A485ACD3D2.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 26
Yeah, back to a much earlier forecast and narrower cone.

Attachments

• BA6901CD-39DF-4304-A7FE-29DDDAF1DF8A.png
    BA6901CD-39DF-4304-A7FE-29DDDAF1DF8A.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 26
Yup, looks like it will land in the big bend area of FLA north of Tampa. Tampa will most likely still have tropical storm effects. Could be interesting.

Come on Mid / North Florida residents, since when did we ever even get out of bed for a mere Tropical Storm :) ? Has to be a minimum of Cat 1 at landfall before we stirr.

I guess it would be a little concerning if one lived in a fabricated home on the beach. The rest of us will be sleeping... (All Tongue in Cheek).

Come on Mid / North Florida residents, since when did we ever even get out of bed for a mere Tropical Storm :) ? Has to be a minimum of Cat 1 at landfall before we stirr.

I guess it would be a little concerning if one lived in a fabricated home on the beach. The rest of us will be sleeping... (All Tongue in Cheek).

Well it's currently a hurricane again, and has changed so much that I'd prep for one if I were within 48 hours of that. Even if it lands as a TS that's gonna wreck some trees, fences, and patio furniture.

Well it's currently a hurricane again, and has changed so much that I'd prep for one if I were within 48 hours of that. Even if it lands as a TS that's gonna wreck some trees, fences, and patio furniture.
Eta sure turned away from Louisiana quickly! What a relief for us, but we are hoping Florida does not experience much damage or flooding.

I personally have been through many, many tropical storms and my experiences have been such that I don't regard them lightly. By definition windspeed is less than hurricane windspeed, but if they sit on an area for a while they can drop multiple feet of rain and cause significant flooding and damage.

For example, I remember Tropical Storm Allison back in 2001 which was not trivial even here in New Orleans, though it hit Texas harder. Wikipedia says,
The storm dropped heavy rainfall along its path, peaking at over 40 inches (1,000 mm) in Texas. The worst flooding occurred in Houston, where most of Allison's damage occurred: 30,000 became homeless after the storm flooded over 70,000 houses and destroyed 2,744 homes. Downtown Houston was inundated with flooding, causing severe damage to hospitals and businesses. Twenty-three people died in Texas. Along its entire path, Allison caused $8.5 billion (2001 USD) in damage and 41 deaths. Aside from Texas, the places worst hit were Louisiana and southeastern Pennsylvania.
Another of my own personal experiences here in New Orleans, was Tropical Storm Cindy back in 2005 (finally reclassified as Hurricane Cindy years later after damage assessments). T.S. Cindy caused far, FAR more damage than Category 2 Hurricane Zeta caused here a few weeks ago even though Zeta was a direct hit. Here's what Wikipedia will tell you about T.S. Cindy:
In New Orleans, Louisiana, wind gusts reached 70 mph (110 km/h), many trees were damaged or uprooted and scattered street flooding was reported. As thousands lost electrical power, the city experienced its worst blackout since Hurricane Betsy 40 years earlier. Although still listed as a "Tropical Storm" by the weather service at the time, many laypeople in New Orleans were under the impression that Cindy was a hurricane, and referred to it as "Hurricane Cindy" before it was officially upgraded. Many people in the New Orleans metropolitan area expected minimal effects from the storm, but were cleaning up debris and were without power for days after Cindy's passage. In Louisiana, 260,000 residences were left without power.

Had enough of ETA? Seems like it's been hanging around forever.

Well at least Theta wasn't a problem for the US but it looks like another one may be coming in a few days (I guess they will name it Iota, if some other storm doesn't "pop-up" before then.) Hopefully it stays away.
But is has a 90% chance of it becoming a named storm within the next 5 days.

two_atl_2d0.png

Last edited:
We’ve got a Theta! That means we broke the 2005 record!

From Wikipedia:
Subtropical Storm Theta late Monday became the 29th named storm of the 2020 season, beating the previous record of 28 storms in 2005. In 170 years of records, this is the most named storms in a single season and officially the busiest hurricane season on record.

Last edited:
No, the official hurricane season is not over until Nov 30, and I suspect named storms after that date would also count.

Wow - it really sped up crossing FL but has remained a tropical storm.

Attachments

• 403BF705-C52B-4D94-9F64-7130C970228B.png
    403BF705-C52B-4D94-9F64-7130C970228B.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 15
Got a lot of rain last night, but not much wind.

Yup, looks like it will land in the big bend area of FLA north of Tampa. Tampa will most likely still have tropical storm effects. Could be interesting.

ETA eventually made landfall near Cedar Key, FL, which is just north of where our house is. We had a windy, rainy, night here last night. Woke up to lots of debris on the ground (branches, leaves), and rising water in the saltwater canal in our backyard. Got the debris cleaned up today. The canal continued to rise throughout most of the day, as the winds switched to the SW, but this evening it is starting to recede. We parked our truck up on a high ramp nearby yesterday, so no saltwater got to the truck. One of our neighbors apparently lost the roof on his garage, but otherwise the damage around town seems to be relatively minor. Could have been a lot worse for us! I know that Tampa/St. Pete, and some other areas to the south of us got a lot more rain and wind, and I heard that the storm surge into Tampa Bay resulted in flooding for quite a few homes in that area.

ETA eventually made landfall near Cedar Key, FL, which is just north of where our house is. We had a windy, rainy, night here last night. Woke up to lots of debris on the ground (branches, leaves), and rising water in the saltwater canal in our backyard. Got the debris cleaned up today. The canal continued to rise throughout most of the day, as the winds switched to the SW, but this evening it is starting to recede. We parked our truck up on a high ramp nearby yesterday, so no saltwater got to the truck. One of our neighbors apparently lost the roof on his garage, but otherwise the damage around town seems to be relatively minor. Could have been a lot worse for us! I know that Tampa/St. Pete, and some other areas to the south of us got a lot more rain and wind, and I heard that the storm surge into Tampa Bay resulted in flooding for quite a few homes in that area.

Based on the landing of ETA, it sounds like you made out fairly well.
The Tampa area closer to the gulf got hit much harder than us, as we are 35 miles inland and are located in the northeastern edge of Tampa.

Based on the landing of ETA, it sounds like you made out fairly well.
The Tampa area closer to the gulf got hit much harder than us, as we are 35 miles inland and are located in the northeastern edge of Tampa.

Yeah, we were watching the TV weather updates last evening, and coastal areas near Tampa/St.Pete and just south of there were getting hammered by rain and wind for several hours straight. Some tornadoes also, but apparently no significant tornado damage to homes. I just read that some of those areas got 15-20" of rain, which is pretty incredible. By the time ETA got further north, where we are, it had weakened quite a bit, so we were very fortunate.

Looks like tropical depression 31 will become a named storm (I think IOTA is the next name) within the next 24 hours (probably today). It could become a major hurricane in the next 4 or 5 days according to some of the forecast models... It's currently heading west towards Central America but there is a possibility it could turn north in a few days. Here we go again...

two_atl_2d0.png

Last edited:
I am curious why everyone on this thread seems to refer to the Greek-letter-named storms in ALL CAPS. We didn't talk about hurricanes ISAIAS, or LAURA, or SALLY. Why does everyone seem to refer to ETA and THETA instead of Eta and Theta?

Maybe it is the same as people who write ROTH vs. Roth? :D

Look at the map I posted above from the NWS...Maybe that's why?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom