OH No DW wants another car

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So DW wants a new car , we look at cars . She has a 2008 Kia 136000 miles . The only problem is the AC is starting to go bad and the car is rattling .

She wants a Kia Soul , you have all heard it ....I have not had a new ...new car in years . She works a deal 17,500 + ttl the list price is 22490.00 the car is two tone white with a red roof .

She says she wants it as her retirement gift Uhhhh

Is it right to go this route immediately after retirement ? With so many nickel dime items hitting us it seems like money is flying out . Friends have told us the first year of retirement is brutal

you have all heard it ....I have not had a new ...new car in years

Must be something in the air - I heard this same thing last week

Shortly after we ER we bought an Outback. It was not really planned and the car we replaced was was in better shape than where we usually would buy a new car. It has worked well for us even though it was not in the budget.

You have to make your own decision. No one here can really say it is right for you... or not. It is one of hundreds of choices you will have to make today. I do no mean for our choice to influence your decision. It was just our choice.

Good luck.

If you can afford it, my vote is go for it. It's not as if your DW has a 2 year old car and wants a new one on a whim.

If you can't afford to buy an inexpensive car like a Kia Soul then you probably shouldn't have retired.

The first year of retirement can be daunting as money flow reverses from an inflow to an outflow. Almost everyone goes through the same transition in thinking and relaxes after a year or two. Those who don't go back to work.

Last edited:
We’ve bought only new cars since 1988, and have continued to do so in retirement. We rationalize buying new because we keep our cars for 8-12 years. I understand the savings associated with always buying used cars, and if we’d done that all along, I wouldn’t expect to change in retirement.

If money already “seems to be flying out” maybe the spending plan needs a hard look. I assume everyone here has a complete retirement spending plan that includes not only everyday items, but all the inevitable big ticket items that don’t hit every year like major home repairs (roof, HVAC, remodeling, furniture, etc.), car replacements, relocation, boating, and/or extra travel. If something unexpected hits, something else has to give if possible. Cars shouldn’t be unexpected. If she wants a new Kia Soul and that wasn’t the plan, she keeps it longer to make up the difference?

My retirement gift to myself was a fancy steak dinner, not a new car!

Last edited:
If you can't afford to buy an inexpensive car like a Kia Soul then you probably shouldn't have retired.
I'd add - if you don't think you can afford a Kia Soul, and didn't anticipate replacing a 10-year old car with 136,000 miles on it sometime soon, there could be an issue with the plan.

Wife happy equals a happy life.

At least she not asking for a Jaguar or something like that, any way you can not take it with you so enjoy the new toy.

An attack of old guy retirement ‘Toy’ syndrome.

After mowing and weed whacking the lawn I was sitting in my favorite chair with my loyal pooch laying on grass nearby when I saw my 60 something, next door neighbor drive off in his good weather BMW convertible coupe. He looked very dapper and smug with a baseball cap, sunglasses in that sexy Z4. I was, and am admittedly green with envy. I also find kind of funny as his daily driver is a Prius.

It was just the other day when I was surfing YouTube when I came upon
1957 Porsche Speedster - Jay Leno’s Garage.
https://youtu.be/3sqC-2Ue5Ts

I don’t know what it is about this little Porsche but It appeals to me like no other. I watched the episode and discovered that you can buy a ‘off the self replica’ with a new chassis and motor for roughly $40K (actually they say $34K but Im no fool).
My car ownership history has been utilitarian at best. VW bug, Toyota Corolla, VW Rabbit, Hyundai Sonata, Honda CRV and now a shinny red RAV4 -hardly a sports car but as close as I’ve gotten.

I am having bouts of “you deserve a toy”, “how many more chances will you have”, “40 grand is nothing”, “you are good with a wrench”, and lastly “a healthy hobby”.

I presently own 4 toys: a fishing rod collection (nothing expensive mind you), a shotgun, a scoped 22 rifle and a spotting scope. Oh and lots of tools but I don’t count them as I am also the handyman. As such at nearly 64 years old I feel confident in saying I am not a toy person. The truth is I hate the complications ‘stuff’ brings with it.
Maybe it is just all that wonderful sunshine frying my brain. In the end It’s just a car.

Last edited:
I'd add - if you don't think you can afford a Kia Soul, and didn't anticipate replacing a 10-year old car with 136,000 miles on it sometime soon, there could be an issue with the plan.

+1 unfortunately, unless the fear is unwarranted vis a vis a true monetary issue.

So DW wants a new car , we look at cars . She has a 2008 Kia 136000 miles . The only problem is the AC is starting to go bad and the car is rattling .

She wants a Kia Soul , you have all heard it ....I have not had a new ...new car in years . She works a deal 17,500 + ttl the list price is 22490.00 the car is two tone white with a red roof .

Is it right to go this route immediately after retirement ? With so many nickel dime items hitting us it seems like money is flying out . Friends have told us the first year of retirement is brutal

Yeah, first year.......for us, my dental work was north of $40 K (not covered by ANY insurance).

DD (@ 36 years old) decides to get married in April and want a wedding (which dear old Dad promised to cover years ago). The wedding was about $20 K. Our cars are good to go for quite a while though.

Kia @ $17.5 K....she could have opted for a Lexus SUV instead. Consider yourself lucky! :cool:

Rayinpenn,
When I read that you were thinking about getting or building a replica 356 for $40K, I kind of cringed. I'm not a big replica fan, and it seems like you could get the real thing if you didn't need show quality.

After watching the Leno video of the Speedster with the 200hp Subaru boxer engine, I want one too. Let us know if you go for it. I may have to live vicariously through you. PS: A 912 5 speed transmission might be a nice upgrade.

Take care, JP

I bought myself a new car before retiring. I could easily afford it. The prior one was pretty old too. I switched to an SUV from a commuter car in anticipation of a big change in lifestyle.

Agreeing. We bought two new cars the year I retired as part of the plan, knowing that after this outlay another new vehicle wouldn't be needed for many years, especially with the reduced mileage in retirement.

I'd be going for replacing it as I thought that 2008 Kia's weren't that reliable and it is nice not to have breakdown and repair worries. Also, if you put it off the request next year could be for a BMW! Seems like a pretty good deal.

Go for it! DW's 1998 Cadillac was well up the bathtub curve, when the head gasket blew.
We swallowed hard, and she now has a brand new Mazda CX-5, and she loves it.
She commented that it was the first car she owned she did not have to make payments on:)
At the same time, grandson's car gave up the ghost. I gave him my 2003 Hyundai, and bought a 2016 Hyundai from Enterprise.
Life is good!

Already been said but if a lower end new car is not in the budget then perhaps you should return to work. If you didn't anticipate replacing a car with 136,000 miles on it fairly soon then you may need to plan ahead better.

The first year of retirement can be daunting as money flow reverses from an inflow to an outflow. Almost everyone goes through the same transition in thinking and relaxes after a year or two. Those who don't go back to work.

+1
I kinda knew I wanted a "new(er)" vehicle as a retirement gift for myself, but I couldn't decide between a new car and a new truck, so I settled for a new John Deere riding mower.

I "think" the outflow vs. inflow dilemma is mostly emotional and anyone on this board probably has a reasonable plan B, C and maybe more.

Get her a new car!!! If you can't afford it, keep working until you can.

I got a brand new Toyota Venza when I retired. It was great to not have to worry about repair bills at all.

What I did, for peace of mind, was to set the money for it aside before I retired. I didn't include that money as part of my retirement portfolio upon which my withdrawals were based.

I am in the “get the new car” camp. As others have said, it’s a very inexpensive new car and you’d likely be replacing the old one soon.

Definitely go for the new car, not as a gift but a necessity.

The alternative is: Wait until the AC goes, and/or the "rattling" is something bad and she's left stranded one day. Repairs to either will far exceed any trade in value she's got baked into that great deal.

I understand the anxiety.
The day I pulled out of the company parking lot for the last time the Check Engine light came on. $3000 a year baked into budget for a car, so I knew the money was okay. But it didn't feel like the money was ok
Looks like she got a good price for a good little car.
Don't say a word other than asking if she'd like you to go to the bank for the certified check or if she'd rather do it herself.
Happy wife, happy life. $18k is cheap happiness.

SWMBO has spoken, and she's found a good deal. I'd buy it. "If Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy!"]

Just the fact that she did all the negotiating at the dealer would make me happy enough to write a check on the spot :dance:

Back
Top Bottom