Oil change on very low mileage vehicle

Any way, as I was going over the car to check things I out, I discovered that it doesn't have a dipstick! I'd never heard of that! You check the oil level in the onboard computer... You have to do it just right, after the car is warm, then stopped, and level, and wait a little bit... The skeptic in me says bad things can happen with too much technology, but that's how they do it.

Probably more reliable, since dipsticks frequently fail, whereas sensors never go bad. :LOL::LOL:

:facepalm::facepalm:

This past summer I picked up a 2018 Audi A5 convertible for a fun car, coming off lease to my neighbor with 12K miles and she let me have it for the lease buyout, which was $10K under a trade in offer they had. Really nice couple with some serious family $$$, not sure how much. $10K was not on their radar to mess with buying and selling, and they preferred to let someone they knew get a good deal. :dance:

Any way, as I was going over the car to check things I out, I discovered that it doesn't have a dipstick! I'd never heard of that! You check the oil level in the onboard computer... You have to do it just right, after the car is warm, then stopped, and level, and wait a little bit... The skeptic in me says bad things can happen with too much technology, but that's how they do it.

Whoa! That DOES sound scary. I would at least want that computer to give a continuous evaluation of oil level if no dipstick were available - maybe at least a communication of level each time one shut off the engine (so oil would be warm/circulated.) Nope. Give me a dip stick. Enquiring dinosaurs want to know. YMMV

...........Any way, as I was going over the car to check things I out, I discovered that it doesn't have a dipstick! I'd never heard of that! You check the oil level in the onboard computer... You have to do it just right, after the car is warm, then stopped, and level, and wait a little bit... The skeptic in me says bad things can happen with too much technology, but that's how they do it.
The transmission fluid level in my Highlander is similar, except no sensor. You need to crawl underneath, remove a plug at a certain temperature and see if the fluid runs out. Beyond stupid. :facepalm:

Wow.... that is so amazing to see.
Thanks for posting those photos !

I had read about the stories, DW had a 98 Camry, so I was worried about the sludge issue.

I changed the oil every year at 5K or less, but always wondered if it was building up or not.

We are now at 105K and it's still going strong. Never pulled anything off it to look.

I want her to buy a new car but she is too frugal :smitten:

We had a 98 that DW got as a lease return in 99. I traded it off in 2014 with >200K on it.
That car taught me a valuable lesson. I had some 10w40 laying around and used that instead of the recommended 10w30.
Within 2000 miles, I started to hear a new valve tick, I had gummed up the lifters with the slightly thicker oil.
I Mea culpa-d and changed it, and after about 2000 miles on the right oil it quieted back down. WHEW!

Whoa! That DOES sound scary. I would at least want that computer to give a continuous evaluation of oil level if no dipstick were available - maybe at least a communication of level each time one shut off the engine (so oil would be warm/circulated.) Nope. Give me a dip stick. Enquiring dinosaurs want to know. YMMV

It doesn't even tell you the level... it just says it's OK. Having said that, there is an oil temperature gauge on one of the screens, all electronic. If the level goes low, presumably there's a warning. I feel like it's back to the old idiot light vs. a gauge, only a very expensive high tech idiot light! I'm with you, I'd rather be able to check it myself. :)

Most modern jet engines don't have dipsticks anymore. All sensors.

I guess I would just expect more from Audi. It's a "drivers car" and, to me, that implies the driver is actually interested in the car - interested enough to check the oil at least once a month or at fuel stops. YMMV

This past summer I picked up a 2018 Audi A5 convertible for a fun car, coming off lease to my neighbor with 12K miles and she let me have it for the lease buyout, which was $10K under a trade in offer they had. Really nice couple with some serious family $$$, not sure how much. $10K was not on their radar to mess with buying and selling, and they preferred to let someone they knew get a good deal. :dance:

You got me interested. I went to Youtube and searched for 'audi oil level sensor'. I'm trying to decide if the sensor really detects the oil level or it's just three levels full, medium,or empty. You've seen the oil level bar-graph. Where have you seen the oil level at? Just in the top or middle?

My 2000 Buick DOES have an oil "condition" gage. It works on an algorithm of past driving inputs (temperature, rpm (I think), time since last change, etc.) It doesn't actually evaluate the condition of the oil. Still, it's a useful device. Having said that, I only trust a visual look at the oil on the dipstick when deciding if the oil needs changing sooner than the recommended mileage in the manual. No dip stick would make me crazy but YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom