Oil Spill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is stuck.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I want to put one of those "She doesn't speak for ME" bumper stickers on my little rice rocket but I'd probably get rammed by an SUV.
I hope you do take the time to come visit and stay awhile. There are still a few places left up here not yet oiled or being shot at from helicopters.:whistle:

I knew she was trouble when I found out she doesn't like cats. Actually, she's afraid of them. This factoid didn't excape my many friends in the local rescue community. We pay attention to this kinda stuff. ;)

I knew she was trouble when I found out she doesn't like cats. Actually, she's afraid of them. This factoid didn't excape my many friends in the local rescue community. We pay attention to this kinda stuff. ;)

And how does that reflect on her character? I don't like cats, but am not afraid of them, is that also a sin? :confused::confused:

Can we please keep this thread from sliding into politics :)

Not wanting to inject too much politics into this, but I fear this is another 'Don't let a crisis go to waste!'

Having been through several hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters, and seeing the press over report the damage, I think this oil spill is being taken advantage of by both parties! One is using it to smear the current administration and the other is using it to further it's liberal agenda.

I am not saying that there is not any damage being done, but several days ago, the press made a big deal about one of the environmental agencies having two birds turned into them. They spend almost two min. on this earth shattering news.

Last edited:
'Don't let a crisis go to waist!'

Tell me about it, when I heard the news, I went straight for the Twinkies.

Sorry, I know it was just a typo, Rustic, but I couldn't resist.

I can't believe that BP CEO Tony Hayward made a comment the other day about wanting his life back. What a twat-waffle !

As far as the leak I think everyone is doing their very best to get this beast tamed, the clean up will be on-going for years, I'm afraid.

I can't believe that BP CEO Tony Hayward made a comment the other day about wanting his life back. What a twat-waffle !

As far as the leak I think everyone is doing their very best to get this beast tamed, the clean up will be on-going for years, I'm afraid.

Pretty impressive, isn't he? I first thought of all those people on the coast whose lives will be changed, some directly, some indirectly, some temporarily, some permanently; then I thought of the 11 that went down with the rig.

Once worked in an organization that used the term "slippery" for this type of person. It was a sales organization, so they always said things of this nature about customers in much nicer tones than they actually meant.:whistle:

12 ROV feeds of them working on the pipe. You don't see as much from that single BP feed published first. Pipe was cut off and now it's flowing up unrestricted. Waiting for the cap to come. Good way to waste a lot of time watching these.

bp feeds

Last edited:
Yes, that's better, thanks.

Well, latest update.... Deepwater drilling has already been suspnded for at least 6 months, and the Obama administration has just announced that it is shutting down all drilling the the Gulf of Mexico, regardless of water depth.

A friend of mine use to work for Diamond Offshore, one of the deep water drilling companies. He said that if drilling is shutdown in the Gulf, their rigs would most likely move to Brazil, where there is a high demand for deep water rigs.

So, who wins and who looses? The U.S. will not develop their resources, and we will become even more dependent on foreign resources. Alternate energy is not currently feasible without subsidies. Subsidies the U.S. does not have. In the long term, the U.S. will drill off it's coast. When the major oil fields of the world are dry, the U.S. fields will be tapped, IMHO. Oil and natural gas = cheap energy. Until that equation changes, off shore oil will be drilled.

BP averages about 20 billion a year in net profits. A couple of days ago they said the blow out has cost them 500 million in clean up cost. Sure looks like they are not only more technically capable to take care of this, but financially in better shape also. http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/BP/financials

This is the 'cause de jour' for the press, and they are doing there customary great job blowing it out of proportion!

Here's a question about this cap thing: You have a pipe that loosely connected on top of the leaking pipe. BP says that they won't be able to get all of the oil, so presumably some oil will be leaking out the sides of this loose connection.

But if you had the proper amount of suction on this capture pipe, why couldn't it get it al?. That is, if the suction pressure is so high that it pulls seawater into through the gaps, how would oil escape? True you'd get an oil water mixture at the surface, but the primary goal is to stop the leaking.

Another question: how deep is this well from the ocean floor to the oil pocket?

And what are they going to do with all that oily salt water they suck up?

Here's a question about this cap thing: You have a pipe that loosely connected on top of the leaking pipe. BP says that they won't be able to get all of the oil, so presumably some oil will be leaking out the sides of this loose connection.

But if you had the proper amount of suction on this capture pipe, why couldn't it get it al?. That is, if the suction pressure is so high that it pulls seawater into through the gaps, how would oil escape? True you'd get an oil water mixture at the surface, but the primary goal is to stop the leaking.

Another question: how deep is this well from the ocean floor to the oil pocket?

Don't know if this is the correct answer but my understanding is, if they pulled too much suction, at that depth, pressure and temperature they may run into the gas hydrate problems that freeze up the hydocarbons and run into the same problems they had with the larger high hat they tried a few weeks ago.

I think the total depth is 18,000', 5000' to the sea floor and 13000' to the oil reservoir.

Here's another question the news media have not answered. This isn't any kind of anti-BP rant, I'm just curious about how things are supposed to work. When BP says it will pay for all damages caused by the spill, do they mean they will pay, for example, the wages of a dishwasher in Florida who is laid off because reservations at the resort are way down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom