Old Guy Gift Ideas?

qwerty3656

Full time employment: Posting here.
In addition to Father's Day, my birthday falls in June and I know my kids will be asking for ideas on what to get me. Any ideas? It seems like I need less and less as I get older.

Things this old guy would like:
Air tags
Bombas socks. Very expensive, IMO worth it as a gift or a BTD.
Expensive sun glasses

A nice pickleball paddle

For them to take you out to dinner.

I find I need nothing. Anything I get is either a
  • duplicate,
  • already have a better one,
  • just more stuff I won't use.
So a dinner always works for me.

Edible or drinkable (non-alkohol). I can poison myself with my own money.

My dad works on lawn mowers. I get him SAE 30 oil, shop rags, Gojo and lubricant spray. Or edible or drinkable.

Personally, I'm gifted out. But it doesn't stop.

I've told my crew all I want is "consumable" stuff like wine, coffee, gift cards to our favorite cruise line...I've got enough stuff.

What I do for 50+ birthdays is buy the Time or Life issue from the day/week they were born. Great fun!

Experiences of any kind - not stuff.

I'm not an old guy (or any type of a guy), but it seems to me that what old guys REALLY want is some sort of tool they don't already have. Seriously, no such thing as too many tools for them! :LOL:

+1 for consumables and experiences. I don't need or want anymore stuff and if I do want stuff, I probably have already bought it. Every now and then, before I buy myself stuff, I'll pause and think about letting the family know that I want it, but that's usually only just before Christmas. Still, it's just not like when I was younger.

This year, my daughters gave me and DW a box of meat form ButcherBox. It was very good meat and we enjoyed making some things that we don't normally eat.

For them to take you out to dinner.

I find I need nothing. Anything I get is either a
  • duplicate,
  • already have a better one,
  • just more stuff I won't use.
So a dinner always works for me.

I like this one! After a lifetime of material acquisition, there really is no item within reason that anyone could purchase for me that I don't already have at least two of already. Time and experiences with loved ones is the BEST gift of all !!!!

In addition to the "dinner" suggestions and "consumable" gift suggestions, you are absolutely welcome to throw me a huge (or intimate) unforgettable blow out party... Hard to keep the party a surprise if guest list is large, but you can still include surprise elements to a planned event.

My daughter makes me greeting cards. They're hand made and very elaborate 3-D cards. I couldn't ask for ANYTHING better (or more) than that! When she writes "I love you." I simply melt down. Who would have thought an old man could be brought to tears by a card that says "I love you." YMMV

speaking for a friend who may be an old guy.... plus one one Pickle ball, upscale alcohol treat, gift certificate for nice restaurant in town, and if you can nail an automotive/household/woodworking tool that would do it too. Possibly a Marriott or AA gift card to get them out of the house.

Tickets to something of interest. Sporting event, play, concert, museum. Even better if the gift giver can attend with you.

Just tell them you don't need anything and you'd rather that they save their money for themselves.

My Dad likes to get Apple store gift cards, so he can buy more books for his ipad.

A few pairs of Darn Tough socks. Made in Vermont (I think) and guaranteed for life. I got 4 pairs for Father's Day early.

In addition to Father's Day, my birthday falls in June and I know my kids will be asking for ideas on what to get me. Any ideas?

How about a Tim Hortons gift card, or your favorite fast food/coffee shop?

I tell my kids a gift card to Bojangles. I love their biscuits. I'm especially fond of their country ham and egg biscuit. Mmmm! And, they give seniors a 10% discount!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom