One's cancer could just be bad luck

The reason I would never take a Vitamin K supplement specifically is that many of the diseases that we suffer seem to be worsened by our tendency to clot which was probably beneficial when we were running away from sabre tooth tigers but seems to have become a distinct liability in current times. Anti-platelet and anti-clotting drugs are among the mainstays of treatment for these clotting related diseases. The last thing I would want to do is increase my tendency to clot. The other reason not to take Vitamin K supplements or all but a very few supplements is that they have not shown to be beneficial in large well controlled studies in normal people. In fact, there is a decent evidence to suggest that supplements increase mortality. Even Vitamin D, which has been shown to be beneficial has a number needed to treat of 250 over a 5-7 year period. This means that 250 people have to take Vitamin D for 5-7 years to prevent 1 death.

The vitamin supplement industry is a multi-billion dollar operation, those who are skeptics have a somewhat lower advertising budget at their disposal.

Vitamin K is found in dark leafy greens, kale and swiss chard are two excellent sources for it. We grow lots of kale, then blanch and freeze it. My dad was on blood thinners, so he had to be careful how much dark leafy greens he ate, vitamin K. It's probably no connection, but as I said above he died of a rare skin cancer.

Well I did quit smoking 30+ years ago (still miss it sometimes) and I really never drank that much alcohol (beer isn't really alcohol, is it?)

I eat what I want (love hamburgers, pizzas, fast foods, etc) and often over eat. I drink sodas, although not as many as in the past. I don't exercise other than working around my property when needed and on my hobbies and I'm not overweight. I don't go to the doctor unless it for something that is bothering me "at the time" and it just won't go away on it's own.

Never missed a days work due to an illness and I made it to Medicare without ever being in a hospital. Still have all my teeth :D (see) I don't need to wear glasses to drive and my hearing is okay (just don't ask my DW about that one).

I'm not going to change now and why mess with success. YMMV

Sounds exactly like DF, no health issues or problems. At 67, one day, he felt achy and couldn't get rid of a headache. Diagnosed with AML, we buried him after 3 years. He never looked sick and took chemo in stride. Docs all thought he was going to be a survivor.

It's not just luck that determines if one gets cancer or not. It is also luck when the treatment works for some patients and not others.

Life is not fair. Nuf said.

I
The vitamin supplement industry is a multi-billion dollar operation, those who are skeptics have a somewhat lower advertising budget at their disposal.

Thank you!
There's so much nonsense promoted that makes folks rich.

I was foolish enough to read and follow some nonsense about potassium from some "experts". That was a very long drive across the state of Kansas with my resting heart rate about 110 BPM the entire time.

I am fortunate enough to get to repeat my colonoscopy. The likely culprit is a herbal supplement. Done with anything OTC other than a multivitamin.

I have tracked my food for over 600 days. While I don't get to see all the vitamins and minerals in the food what I do see looks pretty complete. My doc says the numbers also look good too. I'm OK with that.

Like suggested, there's a lot of vitamins in food, seems to have worked pretty well before supplements.

I know I can't stop a random form of cancer from getting me. But, what I can do is eat healthy and work out so that I can enjoy a good quality of life NOW. I like not having a sore back, being able to pick up heavy things, and having enough energy to be active all day long. My good habits may not prevent me from becoming ill and may not help me recover from an illness faster, but at least I won't be wondering what would have happened if I taken better care of myself.

The good...
@ age 53, planning to keep my new business to age 65 or more, cancer triggered a decision to retire and make the best of the time remaining. That was nearly 28 years ago. A little less in $$$, but ever so much more in happiness.

'tis an ill wind....

Yes.

You have talked of your colon cancer before. When one survives something like that for 28 years, he is happy and not going to complain about much.

People do not realize how valuable good health is, and that sometimes no money can help get one better. Look at how much money Steve Jobs had.

Back
Top Bottom