Online Passport Renewal

gayl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well it was really simple and fast. Then I noticed I put the wrong month in. Future travel plans are in 13 weeks but by putting in the wrong month it showed as in 9 weeks. Can't get back online as site gives me the circle of death, alternative is trying to call in. Would you try to correct or just leave it alone?

I suspect that question might be asked to simply prioritize applications somewhat so that they try to get the ones needed in the short term done before ones that aren’t needed for quite a while.

Last time I renewed it had to be done by mail. Mine expires in 2025 and undecided if I will renew.

Just a few FYIs.

The online portal opens and closes while it still is in the test phase.

You have to be within a window (9 to 15 years).

There are a few other requirements.

My passport expires in 14 months but now is the perfect time for me to renew as I expect a lot of travel (hopefully) starting in summer and won't have a window available starting then. You also get this "6 month before expiration" issue with travel. So I figured now, for the next 3 months, is the perfect time to renew and sent it in the old fashioned way. From their online status tool, I can at least see they got my renewal and are now working on it. Better than not even knowing if the US mail failed.

DH couldn’t ever get the online status tool to work for him. So he eventually called and was told it had just been mailed back!

I have never heard of online passport renewal. I remember that I filled out forms online several years ago, but I still had to print out the form and went to the post-office to mail my passport. Do you have to mail them a phone, form, and your old passport, if you do the renewal online?

What is the 9 -> 15 years window ??

Your last 10-year passport must have been issued between 9 and 15 years ago, i.e., expiring between 5 years ago and next year.

I have never heard of online passport renewal. I remember that I filled out forms online several years ago, but I still had to print out the form and went to the post-office to mail my passport. Do you have to mail them a phone, form, and your old passport, if you do the renewal online?

It is a new trial program. Here are the FAQs: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew-online.html

I created login and it says you will need to change your password EVERY 60 DAYS. That just created a new burden that I apparently will carry with me for the rest of my life.

What is the 9 -> 15 years window ??

Your last 10-year passport must have been issued between 9 and 15 years ago, i.e., expiring between 5 years ago and next year.

Right. Mine is only 8 years and some change, but for me to wait for 9 years, I'd be bumping into busy travel time. I didn't want to test the system and see if they'd allow online renewal at 15 months to expiry or not.

So I sent it in.

We renewed ours online and they came in almost exactly 6 weeks.
I applied a week ago and it still says submitted. Did you apply for expedited services (I didn't)? How long did it take for the portal to update from submitted to received / in process? Thats the earliest I can change to expedite

I applied a week ago and it still says submitted. Did you apply for expedited services (I didn't)? How long did it take for the portal to update from submitted to received / in process? Thats the earliest I can change to expedite

I did not apply for expedited. The portal never updated for me. I got an email saying it was being reviewed, and then a couple of days later, one saying it had been shipped. DH never got the review email, just one saying shipment had been made.

You mail nothing in; keep the old passport.

I did not apply for expedited. The portal never updated for me. I got an email saying it was being reviewed, and then a couple of days later, one saying it had been shipped. DH never got the review email, just one saying shipment had been made.
That's encouraging!!

I applied using the new on-line process on 11 Nov. I did not request expedited processing and received my new passport on 23 Dec 22. Six weeks to the day. Very happy camper here. Glad to see another government process improved, simplified and working well.

Well ~~~~ as of today it's 11 weeks for standard online application processing time which does not include time before it's in process (submit & received) or after processing (print & mail). Ugh. So I paid for expediting & express mail this morning. At least I can use WHTI and get a same day certified birth certificate. Hope I don't have to go that route Screenshot_20230208-101232_Chrome.jpg

I dropped my renewal in the mail on Dec 8. Passport office says they got it Dec 14. It was in "pending" until a day or two ago, when it went to "Approved". I should have it next week. So, about 9 weeks. Of course, Christmas, New Years and MLK day were in there.

When they say 8 to 11, they mean it.

Edit: LOL: it just arrived in my mailbox. 9 weeks. Lots of security features in this new passport. Kind of obscures the photo. Probably for the best. :)

Last edited:
Thinking upgrading to expedite & 1-2 day mail might have worked:
1/11/23 - submitted
1/23/23 - received
2/8/23 - added expedite & 1-2 day mailing
2/24/23 - printed
2/24/23 at 10pm - address reviewed

Don't actually need until 4/16/23 so I'm pretty sure I'm good!!

My son renewed his online just before Christmas. The website showed "mailed" as of yesterday, so about 10 weeks total time. Poking around on some message boards, the wait time appears to be 8-12 weeks right now. Post-Covid rush, I assume.

Mine never said 'mailed but USPS Informed Delivery says I'm getting something from PASSPORT SERVICES/DOS TUCSON TUCSON ,AZ by 6pm today. In that I'm the only one renewing a passport (I think) I should be done.

Back
Top Bottom