Opinions needed on Park Model Homes in Mesa?

My new toy, a recently acquired 26' class C, is far roomier than the smaller ones of the Tumbleweed Houses. And it's on wheels, so I can take it with me! :dance: Living inside one of these small dwellings makes you feel like a kid again, in a tree house, albeit a nicer one with a real kitchen and bathroom.

Will see if we still like it after we survive a real trip, like to Alaska. :)

Thought I would chime in here since we have chosen a park model to be our home base while in the States.

As KevinK mentioned, we did a piece on living in one of these resort areas and I called it ‘Worry-Free’ Housing because of the reasons we chose this style of living:

* Value for money spent
* Lots of activities, amenities and neighborhood involvement
* Clean environment, manicured gardens
* Release from the burden of high property taxes
* Savings on home owners insurance
* Savings on transportation
* Reasonable maintenance costs
* Safety

While I fully realize this isn’t the choice for everyone, there are lots of reasons why someone would select this type of housing and lifestyle.

As other posters have recommended, I would rent before you buy so you will know if you like that particular resort, your neighbors, the weather, the location itself and how close it is to shopping or out-of-the-park activities - which you will want to have. Building a life outside the resort is important also.

The best time to purchase is right before the annual rent/lease is due and to purchase from a previous owner instead of from a real estate office or the central office in the park. You will save thousands of dollars this way, and the used models generally will come completely furnished - including sheets, towels, tools, kitchen and cleaning supplies. The way you will know places are for sale - besides the community board or the central office - is to ask your neighbors.

Park model living is very efficient. There is no room for collecting ‘stuff’ and you don’t have a 2 car garage to fill up. If someone gets to the point where they can’t or shouldn’t be driving, you will have dozens and dozens of neighbors to choose from who will give you a lift to anywhere you need to go.

Weather in the desert: People either like it or they don’t. Personally I do. I don’t hole up in my house if I am there during the sun season - everyplace is air conditioned - houses, cars, stores, theaters, restaurants… Life goes on as normal and I would prefer the heat of an Arizona summer than the cold, slush and drabness of a winter up north. But that is me.

How to choose a resort/park? You can check this Resource Page
or this Directory Page for starters.

Hope this helps your friend.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement
The Adventurer’s Guide to Chapala Living

Back
Top Bottom