Our revised plans

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As we have all learned it was always a possibility but, it was the farthest thing from our collective minds. Had you asked a baby boomer what health concerns they had back in January they would tell you the big C, heart disease and perhaps some family genetic predisposition like diabetes or some existing condition. I doubt a single individual would have said a virus that has a penchant for killing older people. Yet here we are - social distancing, shopping with a mask on and, with a watchful eye to that keep 6 feet away from the neighbor walking her old pooch. How our lives have changed.

On my daily exercise walk I am reminded that even those young people for which the disease poses minimal risk have their lives forever impacted. The signs say “Class of 2020 strong” but we know it means no graduation, no prom, no junior- senior competitions. Life for them will go on but it will be a big year skipped. I learned my daughter’s graduation from Penn State (MS Computer Science) will be virtual - and no doubt a bit disappointing. (I am proud nearly flawless straight As).

There are new challenges -My Son, ‘Cool Hand’ will be starting his senior year at Penn State too. The summer job at a local grocery no doubt awaits but, we won’t let it happen. He’ll take 3 summer online courses in lieu of risking bringing home the virus. The Mrs and I decided to make up the difference. Looking forward, I’m not sure he will have a job waiting for him next spring. No way to know but I’d like him to attend that same graduate program at Penn State - it’s local and fortunately for once ‘Cool Hand’ is on the same wavelength.

In the end we ramble on the best we can - I look forward to the simple pleasure of sitting in my comfy padded rocker on the driveway in the summer sun. Not good for the skin but great for the soul.

What adjustments have you made if any?

Last edited:
Both sons and their wives are fine but the three GCs at university level need help not anticipated! Same circumstance, pursuing summer studies rather than their summer jobs.

I just saw on news that the college graduating class this year has tough prospects finding a job. No thanks to the covd19 and downturn in economic activity. Even had an example of a grad that had the job offer rescinded. That's a kick in the butt, thinking you are ready and then bam, back to the job search. It is already tough getting that first job without prior job experience, now they are competing even more against people with experience that have been laid off. Not like the new grads were anticipating just a few moths ago with the economy sailing full speed ahead. Quite the reversal for them.

My youngest son was teaching English in Vietnam and came home after the schools being closed for 3 months. He loved that job and is living with us. My oldest and his wife are both laid off. Their lease is up in June so downsizing to a one bedroom apartment. We all cancelled our trip to Europe. Fun times. Ugh!

I have not made any life changing adjustments and still plan my semi-annual driving trip from Texas to Connecticut and back soon. I do hope the hotels are open.

Actually, most of the adjustments that have happened to my lifestyle have been influenced by others (gov.)

So far we have not had to make changes except for having a lot of travel cancelled on us. A remodeling project is proceeding after a two month gap, and another may start in June. The portfolio is down, but not as much as I would have expected. That could still happen. Our sons are "required workers" and though not well paid, are getting paid. Our older son had covid (we are pretty sure) but recovered.

I always travel in July or August to visit my daughter in New York state .I am not sure if that will happen this year . My daughter is a teacher so she is still working and her husbands owns a landscaping business which is still okay .I worry about my grandchildren and how they are handling it . Every once in awhile I have a day when it just overwhelms me and I have to take a long nap.

We are thinking that our annual winter sojourn in Mexico during winter 2021 won't happen. Perhaps there will be a vaccine by winter 2022. Both adult children are still employed, working remotely, but who knows, as the likelihood of a V shaped recovery seems like extreme fantacy.

As we have all learned it was always a possibility but, it was the farthest thing from our collective minds. Had you asked a baby boomer what health concerns they had back in January they would tell you the big C, heart disease and perhaps some family genetic predisposition like diabetes or some existing condition. I doubt a single individual would have said a virus that has a penchant for killing older people. Yet here we are - social distancing, shopping with a mask on and, with a watchful eye to that keep 6 feet away from the neighbor walking her old pooch. How our lives have changed.

On my daily exercise walk I am reminded that even those young people for which the disease poses minimal risk have their lives forever impacted. The signs say “Class of 2020 strong” but we know it means no graduation, no prom, no junior- senior competitions. Life for them will go on but it will be a big year skipped. I learned my daughter’s graduation from Penn State (MS Computer Science) will be virtual - and no doubt a bit disappointing. (I am proud nearly flawless straight As).

There are new challenges -My Son, ‘Cool Hand’ will be starting his senior year at Penn State too. The summer job at a local grocery no doubt awaits but, we won’t let it happen. He’ll take 3 summer online courses in lieu of risking bringing home the virus. The Mrs and I decided to make up the difference. Looking forward, I’m not sure he will have a job waiting for him next spring. No way to know but I’d like him to attend that same graduate program at Penn State - it’s local and fortunately for once ‘Cool Hand’ is on the same wavelength.

In the end we ramble on the best we can - I look forward to the simple pleasure of sitting in my comfy padded rocker on the driveway in the summer sun. Not good for the skin but great for the soul.

What adjustments have you made if any?

I also have a child that is a high school senior, and I teach college level computer science. So I've gotten to see the educational upset from both ends. On the high school senior level, no walking to get the diploma, but that doesn't seem to bother him much. In terms of college planning, its been quite the adventure for him (and I've tried to give him insight on what is really going on).

Before things got bad (in February), I was telling him that we were in for some hurt (started with this discussion as soon as I saw the temporary hospitals being built in Wuhan). For awhile, he (and his mom) said I was "overreacting". When things went south in March, he started w/some woe is me and how this was messing everything up for him. While I understood, I also told him kids his age were storming beaches in France and that his grandfather was in a B-24 over Poland. In other words, be thankful that you have food, shelter, and that your family isn't sick or dealing with death from the virus.

Since then, his attitude has gotten much better. He doesn't seem to be bothered by not going to school (other than missing his friends). He has chosen a school and is going forward on that assuming that Fall classes will happen. In terms of backup, if he isn't able to do on-campus (away from home), I've suggested he defer and just take some classes locally (even if he can't transfer credits, it can still be useful - and he can take classes where I work for almost free (has to pay student fee/lab fee)).

For those in the position of off to college, they are scrambling. Enrollments are down and many potential students are delaying their decisions. Almost all of the schools my son was considering have moved from the May 1 decision date to a June 1 deadline. In addition, both in my sons case (as well as some knowledge from people involved in the industry) - people are getting accepted at places that were definitely stretch situations. My son got an accept from a school where he was wait listed where I never would have guessed that would happen. (Ironically, he choose not to go there.)

I also have heard/seen quite a few stories of students giving up on 'dream' schools where they were accepted - either because of expenses or because of the distance. An event like this causes some to want to stay closer to home...even if that means giving up that #1 pick half way across the country. (In my sons case, a school I thought he would go for - 9 hours away - dropped out of the running w/i the last month).

In terms of my own job, the school I am at is also trying to figure out Fall 2020 scenarios, and preparing for the possibility that most classes will be remote. Since I've taught some of my sections as distance learning for years, it is a fairly easy transition for me.

I always travel in July or August to visit my daughter in New York state .I am not sure if that will happen this year . My daughter is a teacher so she is still working and her husbands owns a landscaping business which is still okay .I worry about my grandchildren and how they are handling it . Every once in awhile I have a day when it just overwhelms me and I have to take a long nap.

a large portion of NYS doesn't have much of a CV19 problem. depending on where in NYS they live you may be able to do your visit.

https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov/views/NYS-COVID19-Tracker/NYSDOHCOVID-19Tracker-Map?%3Aembed=yes&%3Atoolbar=no&%3Atabs=n

Our university is planning on in person classes in the fall.

I have a HS Jr who is not unhappy that SAT and ACT tests are no longer required for the class of 2021. He's adapted well to distance learning - but not so well to restrictions we put on visits with his girfriend (they have to keep 6 feet apart at her house or our house).

I have a college freshman who hasn't adjusted well to distance learning... He's now reconsidering whether he wants to go to school in the fall and really doesn't like living back at home with us. He's exploring his options of whether he wants to go to a jr college, or just try to find any full time job. I think the upset to the college system, the unknowns, etc are freaking him out.

His school hasn't announced their plan for the fall. Summer is definitely still distance. The local university (UCSD) has said they are going to do a combo of distance/in person - but all in person faculty and students will be tested for COVID. I suspect something similar from older son's university. Our school district (younger son) is weighing 1/2 distance 1/2 in person - with only 1/2 of students on campus on any given day to allow for physical distancing between students. But nothing official has been announced.

Our summer travel was cancelled early on, with no plans in the future at this point.
DS is a teacher, so was laid off and is getting UE. He is currently living with us as he saves for a house. DD and SIL remain self employed. Most other family either retired, essential workers or working from home. A couple of nieces/nephews also on UE as they are teachers, too.

Our university is planning on in person classes in the fall.

Interesting how many places are thinking like this. Even though nothing will be better, in fact it will be worse due to more people actively transmitting the virus. We might have 1.3 million infected known now plus unknown ones, but by Fall will have easily 2-4 times that number or more.

For businesses like University, I understand, if they don't open, they would have to do online only and then how do they compete, and what makes them more special than the cheapest online University. So they have to open.

I was surprised sunset. They also said summer courses will be hybrid between classes and online. I am only willing to teach online. I am scheduled for January.

Interesting how many places are thinking like this. Even though nothing will be better, in fact it will be worse due to more people actively transmitting the virus. We might have 1.3 million infected known now plus unknown ones, but by Fall will have easily 2-4 times that number or more.

For businesses like University, I understand, if they don't open, they would have to do online only and then how do they compete, and what makes them more special than the cheapest online University. So they have to open.

Agreed, and having a little inside knowledge:
1) Schools with a large non-commuting population gets serious cash from dorm and food plans.
2) These same schools also tend to have little (to date) distance learning programs.
3) As you mention, what makes them 'special' is the on-campus experience. :) Life away from parents, on your own, lots of on-campus events.

For these schools, not having classes in-person with resident students is a nightmare.

They are hurting right now in terms of invitations sent to students (i.e. admit list) compared to students who have committed (e.g. sent in an enrollment deposit). Thus, their desire to do anything possible to get them there in the fall.

Other schools (e.g. online, community college, ...) which already have significant distance learning have less of an impact (but still an impact). In my school we were significantly low on Fall enrollment a month ago (year over year as of that date). It has picked up considerably since then. I don't know how much of that is kids deciding to stay local/stay cheap.

For us, while the jury is out, we are preparing for remote learning for fall classes (i.e. designated class times just like in-the-physical classroom but using video conferencing). Note that by doing that, if things get better we could potentially actually have the physical classroom (e.g. do the video conference from the classroom and allow students to attend/be remote).

I know I would rather be in the classroom if possible - I really miss it! But I am also aware of my age and potential exposure and would only want to do that if we can have a reasonable aspect of safety. (I'm not naive to believe that it can be absolutely safe - it never was.)

My son believes he is going away for school this fall. All I can say is that we shall see.

The OP said that on his daily walks he's noticed all the Class of 2020 yards signs. I have, too, on my walks. But I've also noticed an incredible amount of landscaping/spring cleanup/mowing/planting going on. From my unscientific observations, landscaping doesn't seem like a bad business to be in at the moment.

I have a granddaughter, a HS junior, who under normal circumstances would be doing a lot of college visits this spring. I've really been wondering what will be happening next school year when she'll presumably be applying to colleges. If a lot of current accepted seniors get their enrollment dates deferred and take a gap year (even without anything really cool and interesting to do), what will the impact be on this year's juniors who will be applying for admission/enrollment for the fall of 2021? If a lot of slots are committed to those who deferred their 2020 enrollment by a year, will the current juniors find acceptance/admission for 2021 significantly more competitive? (This question is premised on a return to normalcy bye then.)

The OP said that on his daily walks he's noticed all the Class of 2020 yards signs. I have, too, on my walks. But I've also noticed an incredible amount of landscaping/spring cleanup/mowing/planting going on. From my unscientific observations, landscaping doesn't seem like a bad business to be in at the moment.

I bet the landscapers are hurting a bit.
We didn't hire anyone this year, as I'll be home all summer so I can mow :(
We are doing our own landscaping, so are our next door neighbors.

Then there are people out of work, who won't be hiring them.

I think landscapers will have a drop in work, but still it's better than being laid off.

I have a granddaughter, a HS junior, who under normal circumstances would be doing a lot of college visits this spring. ....will the current juniors find acceptance/admission for 2021 significantly more competitive?

I estimate that at least 30-40% of the country isn’t getting an paycheck. Many will not return to the same job and there will be layoffs. I suspect if anything undergraduate competition will be reduced. Junior colleges may see an influx.

Today was the day my only son was to receive his Masters in Music. He did not participate in his college graduation ceremony. I’m a bit sad, but he doesn’t care too much. I’m hoping he can participate in a future ceremony. The recognition of the accomplishment is important.

Today was the day my only son was to receive his Masters in Music. He did not participate in his college graduation ceremony. I’m a bit sad, but he doesn’t care too much. I’m hoping he can participate in a future ceremony. The recognition of the accomplishment is important.

Congrats ... was it a virtual ceremony?

Back
Top Bottom