Painful Dry Weather Finger Splits

Super glue, eh? Got to try it!

Last edited:
I find Cetaphil's DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion for dry, sensitive skin does a great job quenching my skin's thirst.

Somewhere in the thread someone mentioned Beeswax Surgeon's Skin. I've used 25% and 50% small jars. It's more expensive, so I use that sparingly. For full hand and foot treatment you cam use a larger container of something from Nivea, etc.

Hydrate!

When I moved from CA to NH over a decade ago, this winter split thumb thing popped up out of nowhere and I had it every winter thereafter. Two things have stopped it / drinking a lot more water and using Aquaphor at night and wearing white cotton gloves to bed. Works like a charm!

I use bag balm on my feet and I’ll also use it on my hands. My fingers, especially my thumbs get bad at my nails.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

I reverted to my grandmother’s old trick when early Covid-hand washing split my skin. Before bed she would put on her lotion of choice (usually Bag Balm, which is used for cracked cow udders).. Slather it on thick, then put your hands in a pair of cheap white cotton gloves to keep the lotion from rubbing off. Do this for several nights. She was a farm girl so always took showers at night, then slathered on the lotion to trap in the moisture, so moisturizing after showering is also beneficial. BTW, Bag Balm can easily be found at feed stores, Walgreens, Walmart and many other stores

I’m using my little arsenal of Aquaphor, finger cots, and superglue and they are working! Aquaphor is like a lighter petroleum jelly. I’ve started to use it on my feet and face too. Love that it has no scent to it.

O’Keefes

Another vote for O’Keefes Working Hands. I used to get bleeding cracks on the tips of my thumbs and first three fingers. Keep a jar near where you wash your hands and apply to your fingertips after. It’s an amazing product. I haven’t had cracked fingertips in years.

I have terrible dry skin. So one of the things I discovered after I had hand surgery, what is the fact that while I was doing rehab I had to put my hand in warm paraffin which they then kept a hot pad that was microwaved around it for about 20 minutes.

I was amazed at what that did for my skin. And they wouldn’t let me do my other hand (sad face).

So I looked online, and I didn’t want a paraffin bath thing because frankly, it sort of terrified me so they always had to help me dunk. I discovered that Conair makes heated hand mitts. Basically heated enclosed heating pads.

I use L’Occitane Shea butter moisturizer hand cream. It really works well for my skin. I also use Weleda skin food. I mix the two together I make sure I really rub it into my cuticles very well. And I cover my hands with plastic gloves or plastic bags if you can find them something that doesn’t have printing on it the printing is apparently not good for you when it comes off, slide my hands into those hot mitts and hang out for a half an hour or so. It really bakes in the moisturizer. You use a generous amount, but don’t waste.

After a half an hour or so, when you pull your hands out there will be some cream residue, just rub that in and it should just soak right in and be done. It feels wonderful to do especially if you have a little arthritis like I do, and yeah you kind of have to do it every day for a while to see some improvement but then you don’t have to do it every day you can do it every other day or every third day. But it’s something to have to keep up with.

I thought about trying cotton gloves that you could wash, the cotton gloves I see online don’t look nice. They sort of look like things that you’re supposed to use once and throw away. And I tried years ago a washable cotton knit glove for my hands and to me it felt like the fibers were absorbing the cream and not my hands.

The other thing you might want to look at is adding some retinol into the cream mixture. Which sounds a little crazy but it does help with cellular turnover which means that if your skin is thinning it will help build up the collagen, create fresh shin cells as you heal, and it does help deeply moisturize along with the other stuff.

When I moved from CA to NH over a decade ago, this winter split thumb thing popped up out of nowhere and I had it every winter thereafter. Two things have stopped it / drinking a lot more water and using Aquaphor at night and wearing white cotton gloves to bed. Works like a charm!

I reverted to my grandmother’s old trick when early Covid-hand washing split my skin. Before bed she would put on her lotion of choice (usually Bag Balm, which is used for cracked cow udders).. Slather it on thick, then put your hands in a pair of cheap white cotton gloves to keep the lotion from rubbing off. Do this for several nights. She was a farm girl so always took showers at night, then slathered on the lotion to trap in the moisture, so moisturizing after showering is also beneficial. BTW, Bag Balm can easily be found at feed stores, Walgreens, Walmart and many other stores

I see I'm not the only one that the combo of lotion + white cotton gloves works wonders for!

Another fan of super glue. It stops the pain immediately as it seals the nerves from air exposure and it really glues the crack instantly. If you have ever accidentally gotten super glue on your skin, you know how fast and solidly it bonds.

A humidifier in the bedroom helps a lot to prevent cracking.

I used to have terrible heel cracks and I get the thumb cracks now, in the winter, or when I fly long distances. For both conditions I use Merino Lanolin and cotton socks or gloves.

I haven't had the heel issues in years mostly because I finally realized I couldn't walk around in flip flops or open shoes anymore!

After trying many of those creams suggested to you I find lanolin is the only thing that always works, though it took a few days on my heels.

Now when I travel I carry several sets of cotton gloves (they feel nasty after wearing them overnight and need washing) and wear them to try and get ahead of the cracked thumb issue. It helps. If my fingers do crack, one night of Lanolin and gloves will take care of it for me.

Regular lanolin is smelly and greasy but it works fine, too, though I prefer the Merino. I am sensitive to wool products but am fine with lanolin.

It can be very painful--I hope some of the suggestions will help!

I, too, use pure lanolin from our local Walmart. If not on the shelf, ask the pharmacist for a one-ounce jar. If too thick, mix 50-50 with Neatsfoot Oil found in the same place or in the shoe department of Walmart. Many people don’t like the aroma, but it works for me.

Painful dry weather finger splits

I use gel-super glue. Instant relief and it lasts pretty long, even in the shower.

I see I'm not the only one that the combo of lotion + white cotton gloves works wonders for!

Completely agree! For me that's the trick. Also, regular use of a lotion with shea butter at bedtime throughout the rest of the year as well. Well hydrated skin has a much better feel and appearance that dry skin! :)

That’s the beauty of aquaphor. It has petroleum and glycerin along with mineral oil.
It really does work better than just plain petroleum jelly.

I have been using this for the last 3 or 4 days and it has helped A LOT with my very dry feet. Thanks for the suggestion!

She was a farm girl so always took showers at night, then slathered on the lotion to trap in the moisture, so moisturizing after showering is also beneficial.

I suffered for years with very dry skin in the wintertime, with painful redness.

Used oatmeal baths, vasoline, Eucerin, Aquaphor, and various lotions.

I discovered Curel's Hydra Therapy lotion last year, and it completely solved the problem. It's water activated and used right after showering before drying off. Only about $10 on amazon. Awesome stuff.

Guaranteed fix, Neosporin or sometimes called triple antibiotic.
It comes in a small tube, just a dab on the cut or sore at night before bed.
Next morning walahhhhh! Great for most any topical sores, cuts, scraps etc.

I have been using this for the last 3 or 4 days and it has helped A LOT with my very dry feet. Thanks for the suggestion!

I’m glad it’s working for you too.
I use it on my feet, knees, and elbows.
Sometimes my hands at night.
I get a 14 oz container from Amazon.

Also great for any minor cuts. I put it on and cover with a bandaid.

i avoid handwashing as much as possible to lessen the drying. I like the superglue suggestion, works great for all kinds of wounds. neosporin always gets me infected.

My DH has major problems with the skin on his fingers splitting open due to an autoimmune issue. To close the splits he uses liquid bandage. We also use working hands every day and he puts a CDB cream on his hands at night. We buy the packs of nitrile gloves from Costco and he uses them or rubber gloves anytime he has to use any detergents.

Back
Top Bottom