Painful Dry Weather Finger Splits

Lots of great ideas in this thread, thanks! I haven't seen this mentioned yet: skin needs both oil and water. I use simple products for most skincare, like apricot oil or shea butter, bought in bulk. What works best for me is to apply the oil with slightly wet (more than damp) hands. Run a few fingers under a warm faucet, add a bit of oil, and apply where necessary. Many/most off the shelf products contain water too but I prefer to roll my own.

For very dry hands, I'll apply apricot oil as above, then follow with a small amount of Surgeons Skin Secret (just beeswax), massaged well into the cuticles for a few minutes. I keep a small squeeze bottle of oil by the bathroom sink so I can add a few drops every time hands get washed.

I do lots of woodworking and live where winters are dry, but don't have a problem with dry hands unless I start skipping this routine. Works great on other skin areas too, and apricot oil doesn't make my face break out like some other oils.

Might as well add: exfoliating skin once weekly in the shower seems to help too, using a mesh scrubber glove with soap. And pumice stone occasionally on thick foot skin. Just make sure to moisturize really well after!

......... To close the splits he uses liquid bandage.......
Initially, I used liquid bandage, too, but found the super glue worked a lot better and was much less expensive.

I read a few posts that hydration is important. I agree totally that drinking plenty of water will help dry skin issues.

O'Keefes Working Hands works for me. I used to use New Skin, but it never really repaired the split skin. Just rub working hands into your finger tips a few times a day to hopefully get some relief.

RE: Aquaphor. My dogs love it.... a lot.

Back
Top Bottom