Patio umbrella

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have recently moved into a CCRC (I have started a separate thread on our CCRC experiences). We have a small concrete patio 10x10 that gets morning sun. We can do what ever we want with the patio so long as we stay on the concrete and do not attach anything to walls. We are in hot NC and want to make the patio usable, especially in the spring and fall. We will probably not be eating many meals on the patio but we would like to sit out there and read, play games and entertain with cocktails and snacks. We are thinking of a 10 foot umbrella, maybe a cantilever one that tilts, maybe with the neat solar lights. We are not planning to get a dining table but instead maybe 4 comfortable chairs with side tables and maybe a small game table. There is also the issue of mosquitos and other insects, which we have many in NC.

Having just spent big buck bucks moving into the CCRC we do not want to spend a ton. I originally thought of getting an umbrella with sunbrella fabric but it appears that sunbrella has gotten very expensive.

Any suggestions?

Sun kills. Cheap stuff will fade and or rot. We have sunbrella fabrics on outdoor furniture. Still going strong almost 11 years later.

I bought four of these for our condo association pool area and we are pretty happy with them so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092PP5GDF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

We wanted crank style as the type that we had that pulled up on a rope with a pully were harder for our elderly population. The auto tilt was attractive for the same reason. Time will tell how well the Olefin fabric will hold up in the Florida sun but so far so good after a year.

And the $100 price was right. Smaller diameter sizes are available and there is a good color/pattern selection.

51rvI7W4jJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
We have bought three umbrellas on line. Our house has two decks, east and west facing.
A 11 ft sunbrella cantilever with solar lights, which we love via Home Depot on the front west deck, which significantly decreases heat through our window there.
A 10 foot crank sunbrella and a 9 foot regular simple push up via Amazon on the east back deck.

Pay the extra for the sunbrella fabric, it works amazingly.
The two we have with that fabric are much more comfortable to sit under.

Going cheap is a mistake IMO too if you plan to use it - you get what you pay for!

You’ve gotten good advice already re: Sunbrella if you plan to leave it out. I’d only add you want something that can take a little wind without blowing over too unless you plan to leave it down whenever there’s any wind - would be a shame as a little breeze makes it more pleasant in the shade. Either a weighted base, or something that’s well anchored to a stable table. Good luck, it does get hot in NC Jul-Aug or so - but it will be lovely for 6-9 months of the year. My DW is outside almost everyday year round, though we have covered porch front and back.

Last edited:
Having just spent big buck bucks moving into the CCRC we do not want to spend a ton. I originally thought of getting an umbrella with sunbrella fabric but it appears that sunbrella has gotten very expensive.

Any suggestions?

Don't buy the cheaper ones. We did that a couple years ago and the sun fading was extreme. Sometimes the umbrella would be retracted and velcroed shut on sunny days. Of course those parts of the umbrella that were folded up didn't get sun. After a year we had a two-tone umbrella! We've since bought an umbrella with a Sunbrella fabric. Supposed to be the best fabric with olefin being almost as good.

Don't skimp on the umbrella stand, especially if the umbrella will be free standing and not with the post centered through a patio table.

At first we got one of those plastic stands that you fill with sand or water to give it weight. We filled ours with water and it worked fine but the base of the umbrella post got rusty. Then, when emptying out the water for winter storage I dropped the base and the plastic housing broke.

I've since bought a heavy concrete umbrella stand which weighs 55 lbs. Whatever you get for an umbrella stand I recommend at least 40 lbs.

I second this suggestion because not only do you have protection from the sun, the netting will help with the mosquito problem also.

We have one at home and one at our lake house. IMO, they're far superior to an umbrella, no matter how expensive the umbrella is.

When anchored securely they'll never move in the wind, they look nicer than an umbrella, the screening helps with bugs, and they never wear out or fade.

On some models you can add curtains which provides privacy or holds in the heat if you have a fire table.

I would get one of those metal gazebos:

View attachment 46583

If you consider this, make sure you get proper approvals. For one, your CCRC may not allow it. Second, you may have to secure it to a footing. I looked into it and my city requires those to be anchored to a footing that’s 42” deep. I think that’s because of being in a northern climate and they want it below the frost line. I could surface mount a pergola but anything with a solid roof required a footing. In NC, I’d think it would need special anchoring due to the possibility of tropical storms/hurricanes.

Yikes! a 10 foot offset umbrella on Pottery Barn is over $2000, no thanks

I didn’t buy an umbrella. I bought sunbrella fabric furniture - 11 years ago. Just a word of advice, Don’t go cheap.

I didn’t buy an umbrella. I bought sunbrella fabric furniture - 11 years ago. Just a word of advice, Don’t go cheap.

There has to be some umbrellas in the moderate price range--better than the $100 umbrellas but less than the $2000 Pottery Barn umbrellas. I am age 72, at most I will probably use the umbrella for 10 years so I don't need one that will last forever.

Last edited:
There has to be some umbrellas in the moderate price range--better than the $100 umbrellas but less than the $2000 Potter Barn umbrellas. I am age 72, at most I will probably use the umbrella for 10 years so I don't need one that will last forever.

Did you check costco? They have plenty in the 500-800 range with bases included, offset, sunbrella.

Did you check costco? They have plenty in the 500-800 range with bases included, offset, sunbrella.

I am not a member of Costco, none in my area but maybe I will have to look into. Thanks

We have a Lowes Home Improvement nearby and I have checked online and they have several nice looking umbrellas in the size I need and price range. Anyone have any experience with Lowes Home Improvement Umbrellas?

Back
Top Bottom