Places abroad to retire, claimed to be affordable.

The rule in BC is to maintain an official residence and to be present for 365-212 days during the calendar year. Not consecutive. Paying the monthly premium unless you are low income. Partial days absent count. e.g. an afternoon shopping trip to Bellingham.

The tracking is based on them asking you to prove your residence if you are undergoing an expensive procedure, as sharing between federal and provincial records is not automatic. So it remains an honour system.

The US and Canada share border crossing information.
This sharing of information has improved a lot for many reasons.

I recall about 20 years ago some people on unemployment from Ontario were caught claiming UI while they were in FL for the winter :LOL: .

The US and Canada share border crossing information.
This sharing of information has improved a lot for many reasons.

I recall about 20 years ago some people on unemployment from Ontario were caught claiming UI while they were in FL for the winter :LOL: .
Yes we also had a Senator who was retired full-time in Mexico while drawing his salary. But our Senators are not expected to do anything!

The Government is certainly collecting more data on travel in and out of the country.

Not certain how much, if any, is shared with any Provincial Governments.

I suspect that as long as one maintains a residence, pays taxes, etc in a Province that there is not much scrutiny whether you are absent for 6 months or for 7 months. The only ask is for your medicare number. The bottom line is that you will not be refused service in an emergency situation. Does not matter if you even have or are able to present a health care/medicare number.

Last edited:
We are presently in Santiago, Chile. Prices are about the same as in the USA, except for Uber and Beat (the local uber). They are very cheap.

We are presently in Santiago, Chile. Prices are about the same as in the USA, except for Uber and Beat (the local uber). They are very cheap.

Curious (in a good way) of your reasons to land in Chile, since the driving factor doesn't appear to be cost.

I have been living in Bangkok, Thailand for the past two years as a retiree. I moved from the San Francisco Bay Area and I would say the cost of living is about 40% lower than SF. Outside of Bangkok the cost of living is lower yet and of course most of the US is not as expensive as San Francisco. Most people are talking about medical care on this thread. I’ve found medical care here to be very accessible and inexpensive. I recently bought medical insurance policy and chose a $1000 deductible because most medical care is so affordable. In my first year I fell and needed stitches above my eye. An emergency room visit, MRI, and drugs all cost about $250. Removing the stitches at a clinic was $5. Dental care is great and equally inexpensive. It is definitely hot here but I’ve learned to love the climate and the relaxed and interesting lifestyle. I returned to visit the US once per year.

Curious (in a good way) of your reasons to land in Chile, since the driving factor doesn't appear to be cost.

I should have indicated that we are not living here permanently, just for a while. The highest we have been charged for using Beat is $8.90 USD. The average is about $3.00. Drivers are pleasantly amazed when I tip 75 cents. Many people tip drivers 15 cents. But food costs a little more than in an average big US city. Housing is a little cheaper, but multi-million dollar houses and apartments do exist. Santiago is the most modern South American city we have visited, but Montevideo is close behind.

I should also say that I would not live permanently in Santiago due to the terrible air pollution. Montevideo is much better in that way.

We retired to Hungary which is beautiful, cheap, has excellent food quality, and very inexpensive medical. We pay cash for medical and despite having some major health issues have never spent more than $2,000 a year and we pay cash which gets you immediate care. We live in a beautiful town which is a destination resort on Lake Balaton and is surrounded by fantastic scenery. Our pensions go a long ways here. Crime is extremely low and costs in general ore less than in the US. There is NO PROPERTY or DEATH taxes. That was a big factor in our decision. We have a large house on a large beautiful property with a swimming pool, and I keep a yacht on the lake. There are literally thousands of miles of trails here in this amazing country. We don’t miss the US at all.

We have been spending a number of winters in SE Asia. Thailand, Vietnam, and Malaysia. They are very low cost compared to other warm destinations. The only challenge is the long flight but we find it tolerable since we stay for several months.

Our principal reason is that we love Thailand. The low cost of travel is simply a bonus. Same for Vietnam and Malaysia. Would we consider moving there? No.
Agree 100%. Bangkok has some of the best healthcare we have ever received (Bumrungrad) for such reasonable and transparent prices, but I would not want to live there full time. Love SE Asia to visit for sure. Esp love Vietnam. Long stays do make the flights tolerable, and we mix it up with TAs and stopping to visit other countries on the way.

While the article is pure click bait the topic is a good one.

Having lived for a cumulative ~5 years in one of the most popular expat enclaves (Lake Chapala in Mexico) I have a few comments to offer.

Mexico is a special case in a lot of ways. For one thing, one can drive there, making it possible to move house and home in a way that isn't really feasible for more distant destinations. Easy travel to and from the U.S. and Canada as well.

There's an old James Thurber quote that really applies: "All men should strive to learn before they die, what they are running from, and to, and why." Successful full-time expats in my experience are those who truly love the country they've moved to - are engrossed in its culture, know (or are committed to knowing) its language, actively involved in being of service in their new home. Those who are merely fleeing home in search of a lower COL, better weather or adventure don't tend to last.

A big driver for us in living down there was access to affordable health care and insurance pre-ACA and we know many, many others who've relocated for similar reasons. We're back up in the U.S. now (Tucson) largely because Lake Chapala (and from what I hear and read pretty much every other known expat haven) has become so over-run with Americans fleeing the U.S. in the past 2 years that rents are through the roof and congestion (and resentment from locals) have reached the boiling point. Without veering into politics, let's just say there's more than one type of "immigration" crisis occurring.

We still get our dental work done on summer visits to Mexico and miss the easy access to and affordability of health care there greatly, even with our heavily subsidized ACA plan. Being able to call one's doctor on his or her cell and see them the same or next day for $20-25 with no paperwork, no nurses and no rush is something one doesn't forget. The U.S. system is broken. We also know that if either of us ever does need assisted living or other long-term care we'll be back down there in a heartbeat, where excellent places vie for one's business at rates that average $1200-1400 a month for food, rent, utilities and 24/7 care.

If we had it to do over we'd probably have spent more time in Spain and Portugal but those places too are over-run with expats now and tightening their residency requirements. And we share brett's love of SE Asia but yeah the jet lag is brutal and no way we'd want to live in any of those lovely countries year-round.
Kevink, we are in Chapala now, heading overseas after 2+ months here. As you know, weather is perfect, we had dental work done while here and physicals. So reasonable to pay out of pocket, and such great service! Cost of living in Chapala is so low and everyone is so friendly with so many happenings, we will be back. We have alot more of the world to see, but if the market crashes, we may end up here again for a few months. Lovely place and easy living.

We are in Chapala now, heading overseas after 2+ months here. As you know, weather is perfect, we had dental work done while here and physicals. So reasonable to pay out of pocket, and such great service! Cost of living in Chapala is so low and everyone is so friendly with so many happenings, we will be back. We have alot more of the world to see, but if the market crashes, we may end up here again for a few months. Lovely place and easy living.

How did you find a place to stay? VRBO? AIRBNB? Just curious as we would like to visit Mexico for and extended period and our only real concern is getting good safe accommodation and not be charged Gringo prices.

I'd make that same assumption. I'd presume higher staffing level and probably workers willing to provide a bit of TLC occasionally. My impression, totally based on zero facts, is that those employed at lower rung US facilities are there because many of the positions require no previous experience, training or certifications. In the US, people who fill those positions are looking to move up and out, and might not be very dedicated. That same position in other countries might be quite relished and so generate some pride in doing the job well. All speculation, though.

Having seen my Dad live out his final years in a high-end "continuing care community" in NJ at $6500/mo, I can testify that the level of care and TLC is just as low. These weren't bad people, just minimum-wage workers with little training doing jobs like wiping incontinent asses that no one else wants to do. The old and declining people for whom they are responsible become just anonymous bodies. It was awful, but there was no way to make it better.

In places like Mexico (where I've lived), there's a built-in cultural respect and even love for the elderly. And the all-inclusive price for assisted living is really about $2500/mo. These sorts of places are also popping up in SE Asia, but I'm not familiar enough with those cultures to know if the Mexican example applies.

Personally, I focus on staying super-healthy, avoiding the need for a facility, and dying at home. But if fate decides otherwise, it's good to know that I could live comfortably on my SS check. My kids would object, of course!

We retired to Hungary which is beautiful, cheap, has excellent food quality, and very inexpensive medical. We pay cash for medical and despite having some major health issues have never spent more than $2,000 a year and we pay cash which gets you immediate care. We live in a beautiful town which is a destination resort on Lake Balaton and is surrounded by fantastic scenery. Our pensions go a long ways here. Crime is extremely low and costs in general ore less than in the US. There is NO PROPERTY or DEATH taxes. That was a big factor in our decision. We have a large house on a large beautiful property with a swimming pool, and I keep a yacht on the lake. There are literally thousands of miles of trails here in this amazing country. We don’t miss the US at all.

How do you manage the Hungarian language? Can you speak it? I heard it is a hard language. The more and more I think about it, it seems some kind of translation app on my phone would help me if I went to a country where I didn't know the language.

I'm too lazy to look it up now, but I think Lake Balaton was where Germans were settling in Hungary a few years ago.

Last edited:
Wow, we're going to Budapest this May. My grandparents immigrated from there. I've been toying with the idea of moving there. Great information and thanks! May I ask COL for a year? I know you have much more than we'd be happy with, yacht and all, but a ballpark would be very interesting to see. We'd probably like to live in Pest in an apartment.

Edit: I found this information. Thanks https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Budapest?displayCurrency=USD

Last edited:
How did you find a place to stay? VRBO? AIRBNB? Just curious as we would like to visit Mexico for and extended period and our only real concern is getting good safe accommodation and not be charged Gringo prices.

If you don't want to be charged "gringo prices" you need to stay away from gringo enclaves, speak Spanish fluently and find your accommodation in person once you're there rather than in advance on English-speaking internet sites.

Lake Chapala is a very popular weekend and holiday spot for the middle and upper classes from nearby Guadalajara and that influences prices far more than the gringo presence, so hotels aren't cheap unless they are very basic (hard beds, simple furnishings, no wi-fi, noisy).

One of the best options for a long stay is this place in Chapala, which is gringo-owned and ideally located. Monthly stays are superb value for the area.

http://www.elpequenosuites.com

Spoiler alert. You really can't retire anywhere with only $150,000. At 4% that's $6000 per year or $500 per month.

I didn't make it past the first page of the link, but many places don't just allow you to come live there. You have to have a visa. Those usually are not free.

A lot of places around the world have high inflation.

It is do-able but you MUST live like a local and be incredibly disciplined. You can't eat imported food, you must cook at home for most of your meals, you must exercise and take care of your health. You would want to bring over money to a local bank to try and fight inflation.

Martin Wheeler made it

The translation apps only are accurate at conveying very basic information. We used the Polish to English when my DIL was napping and her mom said I was old and fat. We laughed so hard and when Sylwia woke up and translated it was some else entirely.

Spoiler alert. You really can't retire anywhere with only $150,000. At 4% that's $6000 per year or $500 per month.

But you can on $5k - $8k a month. Or in some Cases $4k SS (Yours and DW's). Plus a lot of countries allow permanent visas with $2.5k SS or more.

The object of the OP here on ER.org was to highlight the counties as opposed to focus on the $150k that we all know is very optimistic.

I doubt whether many people on this site are limited to $6k a year. more like starting at $60k a year.

Last edited:
I have been living in Bangkok, Thailand for the past two years as a retiree. I moved from the San Francisco Bay Area and I would say the cost of living is about 40% lower than SF. Outside of Bangkok the cost of living is lower yet and of course most of the US is not as expensive as San Francisco. Most people are talking about medical care on this thread. I’ve found medical care here to be very accessible and inexpensive. I recently bought medical insurance policy and chose a $1000 deductible because most medical care is so affordable. In my first year I fell and needed stitches above my eye. An emergency room visit, MRI, and drugs all cost about $250. Removing the stitches at a clinic was $5. Dental care is great and equally inexpensive. It is definitely hot here but I’ve learned to love the climate and the relaxed and interesting lifestyle. I returned to visit the US once per year.
What's your monthly budget in Bangkok? If you are not comfortable sharing your budget, what is a realistic monthly budget for a single person in bkk including all expenses?

Do you speak Hungarian? Would you recommend Hungary as a place for retirement for somebody who doesn't know the language or have Hungarian ancestry?

What's your monthly budget in Bangkok? If you are not comfortable sharing your budget, what is a realistic monthly budget for a single person in bkk including all expenses?
Bangkok is an interesting one. It can be done on $600 per month or $2000 per month. $600 per month would be at a level where you would be alive and that's about it, $2000 would be eating western food occasionally, going out at night on the weekends, and possibly having a gf/bf.
If you wanted to live full time in Bangkok, are disciplined, healthy, and do not date then you could probably get by at $1000 per month. Food, nightlife and relations are the big variables that could wipe out your budget. Also the ease of traveling is high, so that would add to the budget requirements. Health troubles will also add to that.

If you're over 50, you need to keep about $25,000 in a local bank account as a requirement to your visa. Or if you're under 50 you can pay around $15,000 for a 5 year elite visa.

Last edited:
What is interesting is that we spend at least a month, often more, in Thailand each winter. We find Bangkok expensive compared to many of the other places in Thailand that we spend time. On the downside, healthcare would not be as good or as easy to access in some of our winter locations.

We enjoy it so much that we no longer even consider Florida, etc as a winter destination.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom