Places you are considering for retirement

I had a nice island all picked out in the bahamas, one of the less populated ones, even tried to purchase a few homes there over the years but never did manage to get any takers on the bids I put in...(healthcare would defintely be a problem, though I am relatively young and don't need it often excepts for emergencies)...well for a lot of reasons, that plan is seeming less and less likely to me (in the interest of domestic tranquility if you know what I mean)...so I just may have to continue my retirement here in rural New England on my 175 acre sheep farm...guess things could be worse :)

How do you guys seriously evaluate an alternate location if you haven't already lived there in the recent past? Make several trips? Just take a chance based on what you've read? Rent for a year or two to make sure? Something else?

I liked northern NM when we visited and I have more than a passing familiarity with (and interest in) some parts of CO, but I've never lived in NM and it has been many years since I spent several months in CO.

That sounds like a good set of criteria. Since you have lived in Lexington a lot morre recently than I (the Baron was still around when I was there), would you consider it? What other towns?

It has grown to about 230,000 people. Still nice but I think it lacks an outdoor scene. But for retirement I think it is a good place. Healthcare is good. It has just about the right amount of entertainment. The airport is great. You can still get there 20-30 min before a flight with no problems. Flight prices are reasonable. I like to visit, especially during the fall when Keeneland is open (ony 2 months out of the yr).

A lot places are nice but never get any recognition b/c of stereotypes + location. National Geographic Explorer Travel had a big spread on Lawrence, KS. Pics were very nice. Talked about the history (I guess it was settled by New Englanders), art scene, cultural amenities, sits right on a lake, home of Kansas U, but who the hell would have thought about that place?

How do you guys seriously evaluate an alternate location if you haven't already lived there in the recent past? Make several trips? Just take a chance based on what you've read? Rent for a year or two to make sure? Something else?

I would rent for 6 months or so and try to stay during the time of year I think I would least like to be there. If you want to retire in Florida why not stay over the summer to see if you melt. Winter in Florida is easy to like.

Like Wildcat, I would consider a college town. My old college town is very small so that would not suit most people, but I like the small town and college atmosphere. Plenty of sporting events to keep you entertained along with all the many college/educational programs to choose from. On second thought, the way my college performs in sports........I'm not sure that would be considered "entertainment".  :-\

I can get my blizzard all through winter without risking a slip on the ice.

Wisconsin and Minnesota arent "liberal", they are "progressive", ya, that's it. I actually would miss the snow so I plan to stay put. I might consider the UP latter if taxes are a better deal along with lower property prices. Folks from the twin cities are moving in here and the lexus (plural is lexi?) are taking over.

MRGALT2U said:
You screwed up "Rif-Raf"  (CHP?)
Obviously I choose Texas.  I wasn't born there but I got there as
quick as I could.

JG

Way to go JG, we have brain washed you :D

I was born in Texas and lived here most of my life, but have read about Panama, Costa Rica etc... but I know some people from New Zealand and Australia and they sound great...

I am looking for two places to stay, maybe 6 months at a time and stay away from WINTER!!

ex-Jarhead said:
Hey Nords:  More out of curiosity than for any practical reason, but I've wondered about the "golf" situation for locals in Hawaii.

The folks I know that go to Hawaii during the Dec. and Jan. time frame, and are golfers usually stay in resorts, and don't object (they're only there for a week or two), paying $100.00 and higher green fees.

How about the locals that live there?  Do they have enough "public" golf courses that are inexpensive enough not to derail a retirement for an individual that is golf obsessed? ;) Jarhead
I haven't golfed in nearly 20 years but I looked up [urlhttp://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/leilehua_golf_course.html]this website[/url]. Prices on local public courses seem to range from $32-$50 depending on whether you're a resident, playing on a weekday, or sponsored by someone. Even the courses on military bases seem to be open to Hawaii resident civilians.

Dec/Jan are Hawaii's high-high season. It's not unusual for prices (especially airfare & hotels) to double for those months. That's ironic because Dec/Jan are usually wet & windy, but I guess the demand is from snowbirds (both Mainland & Japan). So anyone coming for golf in those months will pay top retail dollar. There's also airfare/lodging competition from non-golfers-- surfers wanting a North Shore vacation will pay as much as $2000/week for a 10x10 concrete-block bare-bones room. (I can understand why they tend to be a little aggressive on the waves.) So coming to Hawaii for those months is like trying to vacation at a city hosting the SuperBowl or the Olympics.

I don't know if it's still true, but I've been told that the Navy-Marine course is the world's most heavily played. Other "local" courses include Leilehua, Ko'olau, Barbers Point, Ewa Villages, Hickam, Mililani, Olomana, & West Loch. My neighbor the golf fanatic seems to play them all with no particular preference.

It looks like all the courses stick it heavily to visitors at double or even triple the resident's price. And if you want to golf near Waikiki you'll pay for the privilege, just like Pebble Beach. But the Ko'olou & Olomana courses have the same stunning scenery & challenging holes at a fraction of the price.

I bet that each of those courses have memberships or season rates that are even lower than what's on the website. I think that kama'aina are at least as golf-crazy as anyone I've met on the East Coast or in CA, and there's always a local scandal about someone hacking the tee-time telephone system or bribing their buddy to get a good time.

But I'm not sure how good the average local golfer is-- you could make a real killing here as a golf shark and let your opponents pay all your greens fees. And Michelle Wie's dad can't caddy for her much longer!

If you're really motivated to dig up the inside info, try Tom's Golf Shop. Tom Hrdlicka is a nice guy and a retired Army sergeant major who might not mind talking to a Marine. His customers are mostly the 25th Light Infantry and, at his own expense, he's shipped driving ranges to Afghanistan & Iraq to keep the soldiers proficient during deployments. He knows everything about local golf and he'll be able to tell you precisely when/where to go. Even if you tell him that you got his name from that pony-tailed submariner at Sean & Katy's Christmas party...

farmerEd said:
...well for a lot of reasons, that plan is seeming less and less likely to me (in the interest of domestic tranquility if you know what I mean)...so I just may have to continue my retirement here in rural New England on my 175 acre sheep farm...guess things could be worse :)

That is sure right. You could have a 200 acre sheep farm.  :)

Ha

HaHa said:
That is sure right. You could have a 200 acre sheep farm.  :)

Ha
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Actually, I've READ and HEARD that there are a fair number of folks who would love to be around that many sheep.
Probably those dudes from the left coast. Nobody I know ;)

Ah all this talk of Hawaii makes me think about it again. I've often pondered what it would be like to live on the big island (the wet local side not the dry touristy side). It does have a great vibe. A little isolated to be on an island is an issue though. And while real estate ain't outrageous there, a lot of other things do cost more in Hawaii.

I'm still looking at Latin America but I don't want to be so far away that I can't come back for visits/friends won't visit me. As such, South America is a hard sell. But perhaps Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama...

If you're really motivated to dig up the inside info, try Tom's Golf Shop.  Tom Hrdlicka is a nice guy and a retired Army sergeant major who might not mind talking to a Marine.  His customers are mostly the 25th Light Infantry and, at his own expense, he's shipped driving ranges to Afghanistan & Iraq to keep the soldiers proficient during deployments.  He knows everything about local golf and he'll be able to tell you precisely when/where to go.  Even if you tell him that you got his name from that pony-tailed submariner at Sean & Katy's Christmas party...

Nords: Thanks for the info.

I know a litle about living in Mexico. I have been to Aijic (largest exptriate area in Mexico.) Weather is excellent most all year round. Everyone I met there that lived there loved it.
I am now however, considering buying a place around Ensenada. Again the weather is great, and cost of living low. I need to be in close proximity to my store in Bakersfield, so this location will provide that for me.

If you are interested in learning more about living in Mexico you should visit Mexico Connect board. However, you have to join ($25 a yr.) and they you will have full access. They have lots of good information there on what it's like and cost of living.

dougdo said:
I'm still looking at Latin America but I don't want to be so far away that I can't come back for visits/friends won't visit me. As such, South America is a hard sell. But perhaps Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama...

HONDURAS! I'm heading down there again at the end of the month.

Sheryl said:
HONDURAS!   I'm heading down there again at the end of the month.

Sheryl,

I've been to Honduras and had a great stay in the Bay Islands - Guanaja. Tegucigulpa although looked a bit dicey to me!

What part do you like?

Yeah, Teguc is a place to fly in and out of quickly. :eek:

The only bay island I visited was Utila. I really liked it. I have also spent time in Danli, La Ceiba, and Trujillo. Trujillo really wants to be a resort town, it's just so isolated that the tourists don't find their way there. This trip we'll be mostly in La Ceiba, and a very small village called Chacalapa.

No time for scuba diving this time. :'(

Speaking of Honduras - did you all work through an agent or website or what? I can't seem to get any good info on Honduras.

Australia or New Zealad are our most likely destinations - possibly to a small vineyard.
The alternatives are six months in southern Europe (South France or Italy) and six months in Asia (Oz, or Thailand/Malaysia)

Very interesting to see the early posts about TN. We moved to Nashville about 1 year ago ... we're amazed at how nice the place is, quality of the homes, low taxes, temperate weather, and ... there is a ton of real estate development going on here.

Nowhere near the appreciation we've seen in AZ, NV, FL, CA, but ... respectable, low real estate taxes, and again ... we are amazed at the number of farms being converted to housing developments.

We always thought we'd move back to AZ someday, or maybe summer in OR ... but we've now begun to consider TN for the long run.

From an investment point of view ... I'm wondering if we'll see many retirees from high appreciation / high median house price states pocket their housing profits, and move to states like TN and others with more affordable housing, but nice lifestyles.

This is from a tourist's perspective but Hawaii is one of the few places within the US that seems to move to a different beat. People (like everyone) actually seemed happy Huh and seemed to enjoy a good work/life balance Huh

Weather maybe? I loved it (was there 2 weeks) but I wonder if the island thing would get old.

I lived there for a few years, and nope, it never gets old. I'm pretty happy where I am right now for the forseeable future, but were I to return to the US, it would definitely be to Hawaii. I grew up on the Mainland, but whenever I visit Hawaii I feel like I'm home, whereas visiting the Mainland leaves me thinking, "Not my planet, monkeyboy." (Exception: my childhood town in northern New England does feel like home when I visit, but I fear moving back there would leave me feeling as though I had never done anything with my life. Plus, I have become allergic to 6-month winters.)

Bpp

Presently retired, and DW and I have discussed moving out of Texas. Funny thing, (NOW) is that we were considering returning to my hometown, New Orleans. Sometimes, no decision is a good decision. I'll be reading these posts closely. I can't stand winter, so most of the north is out, even though I love Seattle. The best place I've seen in the world is Hawaii, but, way too pricey. My requirements are warm weather, access to military installation (I'm retired military), in-expensive, and as we are getting older, some fairly good hospital/medical facilities. Oh, and a low crime rate wouldn't hurt. Maybe the best decision, again, is no-decision. I have most of those requirements here and I can jump on a plane now and then for Hawaii.

Honkie said:
The alternatives are six months in southern Europe (South France or Italy) and six months in Asia (Oz, or Thailand/Malaysia)

yeah, Italy, countryside, north of Rome, better yet n. of Bologna, 3 months at a time so no messing with immigration.

Anybody have thoughts about those Sun City over 55 places? 
I have a few relatives living in them and they seem happy, and they do look well run. Apparently they avoid school taxes at some of them.
Any experience with these?

My dad lives in one. Likes the golf course and onsite amenities, but this one is unusual in that it owns its own golf course, so golf costs are extremely cheap...half what the other sun city in the area that doesnt own the onsite course.

They're being moved in on by new homeowners with big wallets who want to spend, spend, spend to make the place 'world class', unfortunately the ever escalating homeowners association fees are squeezing some of the less affluent residents. When faced with this situation, the HOA said "well then, they can move".

Sort of draconian bunch too, they have a guy in a golf cart that drives around and tells you what rules you're breaking and insists that you resolve the problem immediate or be cited. My dad had the guy banging on his door the other night because he left his garage door open 6" to let some of the heat out (105 degrees that day). He was told that the latest CC&R regs require that door be closed completely when not in current use. You must submit to a full review of your property for CC&R compliance before listing it for sale. Yada yada yada.

That paragraph alone tells me I couldn't make it there for more than a day or two. :mad: :mad:

wildcat said:
Speaking of Honduras - did you all work through an agent or website or what?  I can't seem to get any good info on Honduras.
My first trip was with a humanitarian organization: www.purewaterfortheworld.org/   I left them at the end of the organized trip and flew from La Ceiba to Utila on my own.    I just browsed websites for dive shops on the island and picked one that offered a hotel/dive package discount.

I have heard that there is a new airline, AeroHonduras, which flies to SAP from Miami  - and that it is not good - don't know what the problems are but was advised to avoid it.

If you're interested in Roatan - the most developed vacation area, I've read that Continental is doing a direct flight there from Houston - I think it's Saturdays only.

Be glad to provide more details if you have specific questions.

Sheryl

Back
Top Bottom