Playing the exchange rate when visiting Argentina

2017ish

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This may be helpful if you visit. When paying by credit card, there are 143 pesos to the USD. You'll often see the "blue" or "tourist" dollar quoted at ~240 pesos, which you can get at cambios (best to bring pristine $100 bills). That is quite an improvement, but you can do even better with a little work.

You can transfer money to yourself using your debit or credit card via Western Union. We signed up and sent $500. The rate was 304 pesos per USD. At least the first transfer is free and we've been told by longtime users that it costs little. (we used debit card to avoid cash advance fees)

The main downside is that western Union outposts do run out of money, so you may have to look around and be prepared to stand in line.

A little hassle, but paying for dinner with a stack of 1000 peso bills (the largest denomination) essentially is a more than 50% discount to your credit card.

Last edited:
This may be helpful if you visit. When paying by credit card, there are 143 pesos to the USD. You'll often see the "blue" or "tourist" dollar quoted at ~240 pesos, which you can get at cambios (best to bring pristine $100 bills). That is quite an improvement, but you can do even better with a little work.

You can transfer money to yourself using your debit or credit card via Western Union. We signed up and sent $500. The rate was 304 pesos per USD. At least the first transfer is free and we've been told by longtime users that it costs little. (we used debit card to avoid cash advance fees)

The main downside is that western Union outposts do run out of money, so you may have to look around and be prepared to stand in line.

A little hassle, but paying for dinner with a stack of 1000 peso bills (the largest denomination) essentially is a more than 50% discount to your credit card.

Incredible...
So how thick is the stack of one hundred and fifty two 1,000 peso bills :LOL:

We were in Argentina a number of years ago. It was at a time of currency issues. We knew beforehand to take extra cash.

We paid by cash most often. As in a past trip to Rio we exchanged money in jewelry stores for a much better street rate.

One of our best Argentine exchange rate was from an FX store in Colonia, Uruguay just prior to getting on the ferry to BA.

We have been advised to careful about two things. Traders in the street who subsequently take you up some stairs to change money. Don't do this.

And....counterfeit paper from some of the clowns who stand on the street and tout for higher than normal FX rates.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

We are considering a trip to Argentina next April-May and will use this strategy to leverage a better exchange rate.

When we were in Argentina a few years ago the VAT was refunded to tourists.

What did that mean? Our hotel charge was reduced by the amount of the VAT as long as we presented an out of country credit card.

The same thing in Uruguay but with one more twist. It applied to restaurant bills. So we never paid cash for meals-always credit. The server would take the included VAT off our check...as I recall about a 17percent discount.

Not certain if either country still does this but it is worth checking. No doubt someone on a site like tripadvisor forum will be able to give you more up to date info.

We enjoyed BA. And we very much enjoyed our ten days in Uruguay.

Wow. How timely, thank you. We are going to Argentina in December.

Cambios giving you a better rate than your credit card or an ATM? If you believe that, I have some swampland in Florida that I need to talk to you about. I have been to Argentina several times, and the street side cambios were always to be avoided.

But as Koolau says, YMMV!

Cambios giving you a better rate than your credit card or an ATM? If you believe that, I have some swampland in Florida that I need to talk to you about. I have been to Argentina several times, and the street side cambios were always to be avoided.

But as Koolau says, YMMV!

Definitely a better rate; don't know what you mean by street side cambios? We have used places in buildings with doors on the street. We exchanged recently at 290; credit card most recently was 150. And, from what we hear, ATMs are difficult to access with US cards in such places as el Calafate and el Chalten (no personal knowledge, just what some of the backpackers have told us)

Wow, that would be fantastic. Will look into it when we cross back over the border from Chile just before Christmas... This part of the story, however, makes me think it may be a while?

Experts said they have to see how the new system for visitors is implemented before knowing whether it will be succesful.

But if implemented well, Rothenberg said the change could be a boon for tourists.

I drink red wine. More often than not Malbec or Cab from Mendoza area in Argentina. I usually buy it by the case.

The prices have been decreasing for the last two years. I am amazed at the value. Our local wine stores appear to be bringing it in my the trailer load and pushing it out on sales.

I spoke to one manager in a local wine store.

He says that customers are migrating from more expensive reds of equal or lesser quality , domestic and imported, to higher quality Argentine products because the exchange rate has made them a much better value.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom